Demon overhead mask WIP long over due Update

Werewolf33

So just started this new overhead mask of a Demon, my own design, got this far in about 8-9 hours of sculpting over two days. Let me know what you think guys, still a lot to do including all the lines and detail. The final mask will be cast in silicone.

Last edited:
Re: Demon overhead mask WIP

So just started this new overhead mask of a Demon, my own design, got this far in about 8-9 hours of sculpting over two days. Let me know what you think guys, still a lot to do including all the lines and detail. The final mask will be cast in silicone.

That's looking great. Nice original look, are the horns a separate material and will they require reinforcement in the final latex version?

Thanks for the kind comments Le Chuck, yes the horns will be seperate, I will be casting them in Polytek Easyflo 120 and will be set into the final mask, also I am not making this a Latex mask, it will be cast in Silicone Plat Sil gel 00 to be precise. Thanks for looking and leaving a comment. I do actually want comments good and bad, so thanks for that.

Are you planning on texturing the mask? If you soften the detail on it and add skin textures it will look 10 times better.

Hi DethBecomesYou, yeah this is still WIP and is a long way from being finished yet, I still have lots of detailing to do including lines, wrinkles and of course skin texturing, his is still very early on in the process at the moment.

Re: Demon overhead mask WIP Update

Some updates after finally getting a good two hour gap to get some sculpting done today, still very much WIP though and lots still to do. Again let me know what you think guys. Thanks.

Looking really good so far. I love the spiked spine look. What are the horns made out of?
Thanks pitchfornumb, the horns that I have used here are friendly plastic, but they are just place holders, the actual horns will be sculpted and made hollow out of Polytek Easyflo 120, so they are light weight

i ilke this alot especially the single sided horn look,i look forward to seeing the finished product

i ilke this alot especially the single sided horn look,i look forward to seeing the finished product

Thanks alphdemonic, it will actually have horns both sides, it's just that I am awaiting some moulding materials to do a proper cast run of both sets of horns, the actual sculpted horns, these were only place holders, so he will in fact have six horns when done.

Been too long since I got on here to do this update, but finally got around to it. Let me know what you guys think. The last picture shows a mock up with full set of horns.

Hi SlipKnoT Thanks for the compliment, he is going well, I have done some neat work on his chest, but haven't photographed it yet. The armature was actually bought a few years ago from Monster Makers actually, but that is probably why it looks familiar. I hope to get some more recent update pics up soon.

hi, i like where this is going. if you are up for some honest constructive criticism, then there are i few things i can point out that i think will help the piece but if your happy with where your going, ill butt out

hi, i like where this is going. if you are up for some honest constructive criticism, then there are i few things i can point out that i think will help the piece but if your happy with where your going, ill butt out

Hi Fettster, I am always open to constructive criticism, I am happy with where this is going, but open to any comments or critiques. I do know that it needs to be smoothed out and does still need a lot of detailing, such as lines and wrinkles, it is still fairly early stages at the moment, but please go ahead I am all ears. Besides, sometimes another pair of eyes can see something the sculptor might have missed.

ok, please take this as it is intended;)

as it stands, I can see where you are going with the form but its missing some realism. things like the nasal folds and cheek bones look a little false at the moment. It all needs to be "fleshed" out.
I dont mean make the head fatter as i can see you are going for the emaciated look but the form you have needs some weight putting into it if that makes sense.

the best lesson i learned when sculpting monster heads is to keep the anatomy relatable to reality and build on that.

this is a great picture i pinched off fackbook which should help get the understructure tightened up

headanatomy.png

i only say any of this as i think this is coming on great and i hope you push it as far is it can go.

Hi fettster,

Thanks for the comments and the awesome pictures. I have a book on human anatomy, but it is aimed more at the drawer than the sculptor, it helps, but you pictures are exceptionally helpful, thanks. Your advice too is taken as given, so don't worry that you may have offended me, because you have not. I must agree with you especially on the nasal folds, I put those in and I know I need to do something more with them as at the moment they're not right like you say. I am trying to go for a human/animal type face hence the slightly feline nose, but I agree that the face could use more fleshing out, and I do aim to push this as far as I can without loosing realism. Thank you for your input and the pics, both are very helpful. :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back