Death Star Surface Panels ALL 4 DONE NOW!!!

Watson

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am putting this is in the Studio Scale forum because this if for my SS X-Wing. They will also be available for purchase soon

I am in the process of creating a 12" by 12" base for my X-Wing made up of four 6" by 6" panels. I decided to try my hand at scratchbuilding some Death Star Surface panels. This is my first attempt at anything like this, so please be kind.

JDH

http://www.blockheadpictures.com/scratchbuild.html

Those things rock!

What did you use to build them? I'm very close to the end on mine too (thanks to yours and Steve's help) and I need to start considering a base.

The only thing is that I didnt drill a hole in my bottom. I'm going to do a Fine Molds type holder for my x-wing I think.

The base is the hobby style balsa plywood. Then it has 1/8 thick sheet styrene on top of it. The raised "Z" section is made from balsa wood with a styrene skin. Once all the styrene was put on I just started grabbing misc parts from different model kits.

The majority came from a Tamiya 1/35 Hanomag kit. Took roughly two hours to do all said and done and I was very pleased with how it turned out.

JDH

Pretty cool!

Have you considered duplicating (or just using for inspiration) the modular approach used in the OT? The old Star Wars Sketchbook has several drawings by Joe Johnston that illustrate the panels that were produced in various scales, cut up and mix-and-matched.

I am actually designing these off of an image I found of real death star panels that were sold at auction. The basic design is the same, the greeblies are as close as I can get with the materials that I have available.

When I get home I will post a picture on my website of the panels that I am recreating.

JDH

Very cool!

But I do have to say this, why stop at just 4?
The more you make, the better randomized pattern
you could get. I think it would be great to see more.

Either way, Great job..........

Four was my initial goal and others have asked the same question. I have allot of models to get off my work bench at present so until I get those done I don't expect to build anymore.

Having said that I have a system down so who knows ::shrug::
icon_smile.gif

JDH

Beautiful work JDH. The more I read and see of the SS work you guys are doing, the more I want to get into this (though I don't think at times I'm perfectionist enough!
icon_razz.gif
).

Thanks Mike I appreciate the kind words. I am now a full on Studio Scale junkie. If I don't get my fix, well......lets just say it's not pretty
icon_smile.gif

as for the perfectionist thing, the only problem with building something from scratch is you ALWAYS see the flaws where others dont. I guess that is a good thing hehe

JDH

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back