Davy Jones pipe

claymore61

Hi guys
To tie in with my Davy Jones mask, at http://www.therpf.com/f62/davy-jones-mask-continues-180888/
I'm making a crab claw pipe.
Ive had a look at various references, but the main one was right here on the RPF sculpted by Hotshot. See http://www.therpf.com/f9/potc-davy-jones-pipe-reduxe-finished-143565/

For the purposes I need (quick costume) I'm keeping it simple, however, I may use it later as a basis for a more detailed model, for cast/ sell.

i did however like the idea of the " glowing embers" idea that hotshot used, so I'm gonna utilise something similar.

The photo shows the first rough sculpt. This is ready for final detailing, then moulding.

Comments & suggestions welcome:D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 327
First cast!

Having watched some videos on Tony Cipriano, I noticed he makes a quick mould, then casts a plaster " master "
He then uses that plaster cast for final finishing then uses that mould for his final casting of his maquettes.
So this photo is the first stage plaster casting.
I'll scrape away at this for final detailing, then make the final mould. Hopefully, this will give me a highly detailed finished product.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 165
Hi.
How are you getting on with the GEL-10 Mask.?

Ebay sell small Glowing/flashing tags for pets collars for £1.65. all you need to do is fit one of these inside the pipe end to get the Glowing effect you need, very cheap but effective.
you could even go as far as to make your own flame with clear resin to fit inside it
also you can use joke cigars inside the pipe for the smoke effect's..:behave

how come you decided to not finish the detail in Chavant clay.?
I would of thought the plaster would be harder to get fine detail on.

Look Forward to seeing more Updates
Chow:thumbsup

hi guys,
thanks for the comments - much appreciated.:$

hiya king
havent cast the mask yet. what i thought was id get some experience logged with painting etc, so thats why i decided to make the pipe as a wee distraction from the "big job"

the reason for the 1st plaster cast method, was watching the Tony Cipriano videos- he seemed to get a great deal of fine detail into the models, so i thought I'd give it a go on a small project. it takes a bit longer, bit initially it looks like working out. theres also the added cost of the extra silicon mould, but ..... you hasta pays for quality lol:facepalm
if it works out well, i'll maybe make the DJ locker key too. im thinking of making some Aztec "gold" coins, to give to kids on the cruise - it is Disney after all.

I'll put another pipe piccy up later tonight when ive scraped off some plaster detail.

Google tonys videos, he makes maquettes for Marvel & Disney et al , and theyre pretty cool

First cast!

Having watched some videos on Tony Cipriano, I noticed he makes a quick mould, then casts a plaster " master "
He then uses that plaster cast for final finishing then uses that mould for his final casting of his maquettes.
So this photo is the first stage plaster casting.
I'll scrape away at this for final detailing, then make the final mould. Hopefully, this will give me a highly detailed finished product.

oh and Ive made up a wee drop in module which sits inside the pipe. its made from one of these electronic tealight candles, which i stripped down and fitted into a wee bit of black pipe. this is topped with a clear cast lid which is sculpted to look like tobacco. it means i can get it back out to change the button battery or switch it off.......Also you get 3 for a quid in the pound shops lol

oh and Ive made up a wee drop in module which sits inside the pipe. its made from one of these electronic tealight candles, which i stripped down and fitted into a wee bit of black pipe. this is topped with a clear cast lid which is sculpted to look like tobacco. it means i can get it back out to change the button battery or switch it off.......Also you get 3 for a quid in the pound shops lol

Sounds Great.. Look forward to seeing the finished pipe..
I know A site where you can buy A talking treasure hunt game that you can record message's on coin's if that's any good to you.?
Treasure Hunts that talk - Record and playback your own spoken clues

Bring Out the RUM!!:cheers

Hi guys,
As promised, here's the plaster master.
At this stage the bowl is almost finished, for making the mould.
The stem has been changed slightly, as I thought it might be a nice idea to " carve" something at the top, near the mouth, so I built up some plaster and shaped it into a "blank". I don't know what I'll do there yet, but we'll see.
The photos show both sides of the bowl, and I've also shown the bowl glowing insert with the resin cap. The LED came from an electronic tea light. Looking at the photo, the glow is slightly too yellow, so I'll paint the resin down a bit for a more tobaccoish glow.
Comments welcome as usual.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 140
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 98
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 96
I just thought I'd put a wee photo of the finished plaster master, before making up the final mould

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 183
Howdy
Just a wee update of the mould stage.
The pic shows the silicon mould, and the first half of the plaster bandage support jacket.

When it's all mad and hard, I'll use a scalpel to open the silicon around key areas, to reduce the flash removal and prepaint dressing.......
I hope :facepalm

I won't post the rest of the process, as most of you will be familiar with it, so hopefully the next post I put up should be the first cast

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 119
First resin cast.
This is straight from the mould, and looks pretty cool.
Only a wee bit of dressing to do, then paint job

I think I'll need to invest in an airbrush for this and the mask.

Time to consult the RPF guru's for advice on it.;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 105
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back