Davy Jones Mask continues

claymore61

So I decided to give this a new thread, as the old one described the lifecasting process etc and was getting a bit long.

See http://www.therpf.com/f62/gonna-get-me-some-purpose-sculpt-updated-180249/

Anyway here's where I'm at,
Made the lifecast, then a latex mould, followed by a plaster cast from that mould.
I started putting the clay onto the cast now and the image shows the current status,

The end result will be a finished latex or silicon mask as part of a Davy Jones costume for a Pirates night on a Bahamian cruise in September.

All hints and tips greatly received

Ok. So here's some progress.
I've been a bit busy all week, so only got back to the sculpt last night.
I've only scribed in some detail around the eyes and mouth.
I've still got a fair bit to do, as I need to apply texture etc but making this upas I go along :D

Running alongside the head sculpt I need to look at the tentacles too.
So planning ahead, I'm going to Mage a mould for the suckers, to make it easier to compose the final tentacle mould itself.

I reckon I need to make 4 or 5 different sizes of suckers, and obviously a few different looking tentacles.

I made a mould from Plasticene using a round piece of plastic pipe for the first size of sucker.

The two pieces of midfield, let you roll the Plasticene to a consistent thickness.

After rolling, and pressing the pipe in to a certain depth, I poured some resin into them to create the rings. Once remoulded these will be used to make up the tentacle moulds.
Photos to follow

Started making a tentacle " master"

I hope I can use it to make a plaster mould, to cast the latex or silicone finished product, before assembly onto the mask.

Still aways to go, but I stared off with 3 bits of plastic water pipe taped together ......................

So here's the progress as I've put some of the suckers on.
I tried the resin ones but they all looked the same, and I wanted a bit of a more natural look to them.

After I do this tentacle, I'm going to "test " the moulding process.
I'll do it with the tentacle first, just in case it messes up, then I can adjust it for the mask/ bust. At least I'd only need to redo the tentacle.:behave

I'll maybe photograph the moulding process, if anyone's interested, but I think a lot of guys on here already know what to do.:rolleyes

BTW the three " domes " in the picture are the texturising tools I made for this project.

Last edited:
looking good! have you decided what you will be using for the mask.. silicone or latex.?

Did you mould an orange for one of your texture stamps.?
Great idea, will look forward to seeing the result's you get.

looking good! have you decided what you will be using for the mask.. silicone or latex.?

Did you mould an orange for one of your texture stamps.?
Great idea, will look forward to seeing the result's you get.

Yeah I poured some silicone over the orange, then used that mould to make some different sized tex "pads"

I've done it before for other stuff. It's a bit laborious but once you've done them they're good for years

Making the mould.
Remember, guys this is a trial, just to see how it goes, but I'm not that confident with the plaster version.
If it don't work, I'll maybe use fibreglass/ gel coat

Slight disaster but a wee silver cloud.
I tried the mould with latex and it worked ok.

I wAnted to try with silicon, but only had a small amount left on the shelf.
I worked, but I cracked the plaster mould getting it out.

So I think I'll go to plan B :D
I'll fix the master clay again, then create a resin/ fibreglass mould set for various sizes.

It might be a bit laborious, but the end result should be a better finish.

Here's a photo of the little silicone version.

It's a bit rubbery (duh) , but I've heard of deadner you can add to make it more flesh like.
Has anyone used it?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back