Darth Vader voice changer for use with/under a full suit?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by JSA, May 13, 2006.

1. JSA

JSA Active Member

Howdy folks. :D

I was just wondering if there was a commercially available
    Darth Vader voice changer, as in something to make one's
    voice sound like Darth Vader, that would fit in a helmet, or
    anything like that?

I'd imagine it'd be something like the ones used for people
    who can't speak - the thing that they hold up to their throat,
    but I've really got no clue at all.

Any information would be appreciated.

JS :)

2. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

3. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

I couldn't find an example of a Vader voice.....does someone have one or two examples using this unit?

4. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

5. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(SL3844 @ May 13 2006, 08:42 AM) [snapback]1243596[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, this is the one to have but it will not fit inside your helmet. I think most people who have it carry it in a VHS tape casing if Im not mistaken.

6. JHVanOphem

JHVanOphem Well-Known Member

Heh. I know, the VHS case would be hidden in the back or something, but I just had an image of a Vader walking around, carrying a VHS case, muttering about trying to find a Blockbuster.

7. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(JHVanOphem @ May 14 2006, 04:45 AM) [snapback]1243982[/snapback]</div>
    :lol

8. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

Your best bet would be to download "Hearth of Empire" trailer and see the 501st guys using one at the hospital if I'm not mistaken..that one was "magical".

9. vaderfanforever

vaderfanforever Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>(xmart @ May 14 2006, 11:30 AM) [snapback]1244000[/snapback]</div>

You mean "Heart of the Empire". ;)

Elijah - VaderFanForever

10. Darth Movado

Darth Movado Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is more of a bump than anything. Having just acquired my new Vader suit (complete), I would like to revisit the voice issue. I've got the chest wired for speakes and a rolling loop on the mp3 player. The speakers are hidden under the under robe. They sound quite nice and are loud for the breathing. They have quite nice bass also. I was curious if the Hyperdyne system is still the only thing out there or could someone possibly point me in the direction of a good voice amp that just magnifies the voice. I think doing the voice is imperative while in costume. Children love it and after all, that's why half of us wear this crap. :p

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Movado

11. Servo

Servo Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vaderfanforever @ May 15 2006, 09:28 AM) [snapback]1244541[/snapback]</div>
    No, you mean Heart of an Empire. :rolleyes

That particular Vader is Shawn Sullivan (SL 8569) and he is an excellent Vader -- great character and wonderfully interactive with children.

Thanks for the plug for the film, by the way. :D

12. darthgordon

darthgordon Sr Member

Well I heard that Hyperdyne is having supply issues w/ his boards and won't be able to offer the voice kit anymore (this is 2nd hand information, so I could be off). However if you can do a decent impression there are portable voice amplifiers that attach to your belt. They're used for tour guides and medium sized meetings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PORTABLE-VOICE-AMPLIFI...1QQcmdZViewItem

This is kind of cool b/c you can hook up an MP3 player and mix the breathing w/ it.

13. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

vader speaks for a second in the trailer.

where can i get the whole thing?

i saw 2 troopers i have hung out with. VERY COOL. kinda tear jerkin. but very cool. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

14. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm in the same boat. I've been looking for one. I did the waist amp/ipod breathing at Halloween, but I need the voice. A couple little kids were bummed out when I didn't "sound like him"

15. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

That is correct, the Vortex 1 unit is now discontinued. It was bound to happen sooner or later. I am trying to get as many units in as I can, but I am pretty much sold out. I may be able to get a handful more, I am still trying right now.

We are planning on doing a Vortex 2 design, depending on customer demand. I anticipated this day, and we have been working on something behind the scenes for some time now. We arent to show anything yet, we are still working with the prototype board.

A proper Vader voice is the most difficult to design IMO, and we dont want to come up short when compared to our V1 unit. We were also planning on having 2 versions, based on demand. One thought was to have a V2 full-blown Vader voice changer (like the V1) and a new low-cost alternative Vader voice changer.

More info as time goes on. For those of you who have a V1 board, it probably just went up in value.

16. TMP

TMP Sr Member

I got Hyperdyne labs vortex. It is in my opinion the best system beond doubt.
    All you need to do is to make a pocket on the back of your strap for the chestbox and hide it there.
    Run the wires up the mask. I have my speaker mounted in a "sock" under my arm/ robe. The sound comes out GREAT...

17. royal vader

royal vader Active Member

I would be interested in the V2 unit. Can they be ready for C4?

Thanks

18. Hitogiri

Hitogiri Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I heard one of them at a con down in Dallas a few years ago, very cool and errie at the same time lol

19. royal vader

Any news on the updated V2 Hyperdyne unit?

20. Pauleysolo

Pauleysolo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have a Vortex one unit and it is amazing...

21. MjolnirArmor

MjolnirArmor Well-Known Member

geez, for $500 plus shipping, I'd think so.

*takes $500 and goes and buys a ps3*

22. Darth Movado

I've got a wonderful breathing system for my suit, but I am in serious need of a voice system. When might we expect the V2 to be ready?

Movado

23. Lan-Ed-Tul

Lan-Ed-Tul Well-Known Member

i have Jims V1 vader vortex, and its simply the best i ever heard. well worth the 500 i paid for it.

i hope the V2 will work as well or better than the V1 do. so other vaders can have the best around.

any updates Jim?

24. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

Hey guys,

Yes, I have been working on a V2 board for the last 2 months here. I have the Vader prototype finally working. That is a major milestone. :thumbsup I am still tweaking some small items before going forward into limited production. That is probably a month or so away.

The board should be in a smaller form factor than the V1. It will also include many of the same features as the V1 - same voice effect, pitch settings, breath mix, etc. The one difference w/ the V2 is that you will have to pipe in your own breathing loop. The v2 will not have the breathing sound onboard its chip. Nor will it have any of the sound effects. But there will be a jack for you to plug in from a CD player, mp3 player, etc that will mix that in with your voice, so you can use a single speaker hookup for it all. This way you can choose to input a breathing sound, custom breath, voice clips, whatever you like. Some other small feature mods like a PTT button cable, programming button, and having custom settings stored will be included in the v2 design too.

As for price, it should come in less than the V1 boards - that all depends on the quantity I am able to buy.

More news and some pics as I get closer to releasing.....

DarthVaderSC likes this.
  25. cerillo

cerillo Well-Known Member

When you do, COUNT ME IN...... C

26. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

color me intrested.

27. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GundamZeppelin @ Apr 11 2007, 02:41 PM) [snapback]1460181[/snapback]</div>

I'm in.. :D

John

28. Lan-Ed-Tul

thats good news Jim. havin to have a seperate player for beathings no bigie as alot of vaders already do that with a mp3 or ipod or whatever recorder.

and the smaller size, will be a benefit too. good work jim.

29. DARTH ANIBAL

DARTH ANIBAL Well-Known Member

Price being the dealmaker/breaker, I'd be interested in the voice-only unit, as well. :thumbsup

30. darthgordon

darthgordon Sr Member

wasn't there also talk of a "budget" model?

31. DARTH ANIBAL

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyperdyne @ Feb 21 2007, 06:19 PM) [snapback]1423701[/snapback]</div>
    Would this "low-cost alternative" have the same voice changing effects as the "full-blown"? I read this as one having all the bells and whistles of the V1 (breathing, sound fx, etc.), and the other (budget) only serving as a voice changer. What would the differences be?

32. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Interesting...Any news when these will be available?

33. royal vader

Count me in Jim.. :D
    Can I get one in time for C4?

34. borgknight

borgknight New Member

Yes, mark me down as interested as well, please.

35. Lan-Ed-Tul

i think he said the one wouldnt do the breathing, you have to pipe it in via a jack using a player or recorder device. i dont knowq on the budget one DA.

36. royal vader

I beleive Jim said that the V2 unit would be a cost a little less than the V1, and you are correct, LET, he said there would be a jack to pipe in your own breathing loop from whatever source you have. Sounds good to me!. I just need one for C4!! :eek

37. ronhoffman2

ronhoffman2 New Member

I can't wait til this finally comes out. I want one so bad.

38. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

Hey guys,

The budget version will come after the new v2 version. I can only handle a couple new projects at a time - so I need to release the new v2 changer first.

I am not sure if I can have any done for C4. I am trying, I should know more in the upcoming weeks...

39. DARTH ANIBAL

What will the "budget" version be capable of, though? The same voice changing effects? What differences will make one the V2, and the other the "budget" version? Also (I'm aware that it's hard to come up with a figure when the product hasn't been designed yet), what price range are you aiming for with the "budget" model?

If you can't tell, I'm very interested.:lol

40. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

I am not sure what the budget version will be capable of. At the very least, the voice effect will be similar to a v2. Although probably not the same quality. That is just because "budget" means I will have to cut down something to lower its cost. And that will most likely involve the voice effect to some degree.

The budget version wont have any onboard breathing either. I am attempting to have a budget version around the same cost as my existing trooper amp. That's a tall order right now, so that is why it might take some time to get it going. It's difficult to do a proper voice without the necessary horsepower. And I dont like releasing products that I am not happy with owning myself...

41. royal vader

Thanks for the update Jim.
    Anything I can do to speed along the V2, just let me know!!:)

42. royal vader

Bump :cool

43. cerillo

cerillo Well-Known Member

I just bought one from somebody who had to sell thiers and I'm really looking foward to getting it. I hope it's as great as everyone says it is. C

44. Lan-Ed-Tul

its the best there is for now. hopefully the legacy will continue with Jims new V2 line

45. royal vader

Amen. :)

46. Darth Movado

My best wishes to get this V2 Budget Vader out there man. I'll be on the order list if you can get it. I'm trying to come with ways to jack in a voice changer to my voice speaker system as I type. Either that, or sitting with a voice software trying to mimic JEJ! :sick

Movado

47. XXXCRIMSON

XXXCRIMSON Active Member

Can't wait to get one of these!!!

48. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

I just got the final prototype boards in! So I hope to build one up this weekend and start doing some system level testing. Hopefully everything will turn out ok and I can start looking into production options...

49. Lan-Ed-Tul

thats good news Jim.

i have a few friends who have been lookin for a voice unit, but couldnt afford the V1 like i got from you. a lesser priced unit might be their ticket, especially coming from you.

50. royal vader

I'll be happy to beta test one for you Jim!!!! :cool