Darth Vader ROTJ Reveal mask My build

...exactly what sskunky pointed out ;)

Markus

Yes...and now all has a story!;)

I´m building the linkages between the eyes now...that is a lot of work with very small parts.And I will paint the mask in the next days.
From the pics I have,I would say the brighter gunmetal is the right one.But its always a thing with the lightning...is the mask live darker?A pic under daylight would be a big help!
:)

why don't you consider molding it when you're done and offer fiberglass copies ;)

I am sure there's quite an interest in these

Markus :)

I´m painting the mask and the parts separate.I will not glue the parts permanent on the mask.So I can remove them if I need it.;)
I must look first how all looks together.And I think with paint on it its better.So you can see mistakes in the moldsurface.
You can make so much mistakes with this mask...one part too big or too small and the overall look is not perfect.
You cannot make it 100%...that is impossible..but I wanna go so near as I can to the Original.

The correct linkages are my last step before I can set all together.But that to build is not so easy,because the position of the dentalexpanders between the dynodes is very important.And the parts between the eyes are having very small contacts that are build in a special shape like claws.The most masks out there have this parts only flat shaped.But I want them correct with the clawstyle and the markings!:eek;)

Last edited:
Well you could start with the lighter grey and see how that looks ... if you don't like it ... it's easier to add darker grey on light then the other way around ;) ... still I prefere TS-38.

Chaim

I will spray both next to the black and will see how they are looking under flash and normal lights.
But I think its the lighter gunmetal,because under direct halogenlights from the top(like on the Expos),the TS-38 looks still too dark.
T-42 is very near to the original on the pics.But on some shots and in the movies the mask looks very dark...its really not easy.:)

Original dynode in place:

19516167fy.jpg

Last edited:
Pics don´t lie,guys!;)

This poor mark is a very important mark of the mask on every pic.I have over 1000 pics of this mask and on every pic of a expo you can see it.And you can see it from the distance and none Expopics,too.So I will build it.
And I believe you Monsieur Tox that you have not seen the lines so sticked out in person.But with flash or brighter lights you can see it under the paint.I would say the lines are also not so sticking out when I have sprayed paint over it.

If you´ve seen the mask 8 times,did you made great pics of it?What people are talking is not really important for me...fakts are important for my build.That means no harm about you and your personal experiences...but I build what I see.And I see LINES!:eek
If you ask Dave Prowse what a color his Vader armor in the movies had ..and he says:"Black!"...would you paint your Vaderhelmet complete black while the pics are talking another story?And this man was VADER!;)

@sskunky:What it is,is not important.It´s important how it looks.If the line over the nose would be from tape,it would look like a step over the complete line.But it isn´t.Its higher in the middle and deeper on the sides.What tape is doing that?I´ve never seen a tapeline like this.I would say its a glueline.The same pattern like under the disc on the top.
And again about the masking tape theory:Why they needed masking tape over the nose?It is all gunmetal at this area.So no need to use tape!

Ok...Frontshot...no flash...lines or not?:)

http://up.picr.de/19495830xo.jpg

This is not the right question ! :D
Like I said this is in no way a raised line, what we see here is the bad fit of the dish with the mask, plus this seam line is cracking and putty started to fall off. My main concern is that you reproduced it with a raised line, a groove would have been more accurate IMHO but it was easy to reproduce the same effect just by building it exactly like they did ! And that's how you did it too I believe, but it seems you spent too much time having a smooth and perfect transition between the crown dish and mask.

You know Ive built a ton of things (you can look at some of my threads) and what Ive learned over the years is that you can trust pics but only your eyes.

No I didnt take any pics of the reveal mask, Im not a costume guy (actually I had more important things to shot :p).

As for the nose line it was just a suggestion but it looks more to me that the nose is an insert, maybe because of the grooves.

Anyway it is important that you build it the way you want and the way you think it is even if that's not right, this is your build after all !

But I find it funny that you show me a pic that shows what Im saying to try to show what you think it should be ! :D

Good luck with your mask, it is fantastic ! :)

@Monsieur Tox:

Thanks.:)

I´ve never said that the line under the crown is an arty thing.It is a detail of poor work of the propbuilder.But it is there.So I need to find a way to reproduce it.
My "line"is very fine in the material now.It will be easy to remove or sand it away if it looks bad at the end.I can only say what I see on the pics and there are some areas of the line raised or looking like that.I will see how it looks at the end.I spend so much time in this project,so this "line"will not ruin it!;)

About the line over the nose:That is exactly what I was thinking all the time before.It could be a glueline,too.But where is the other glued area?Did they built it better in,that you cannot see any marks?At the end that are all theorys only...nobody can say what the propmaker exactly did.We can only try to build that it looks like the original or near to the original.;)

Please look on this pic...both lines are looking raised...nose and the upper one on the left!?

19534475ar.jpg

One question I have to you: You said that you´ve seen the mask in person 8 times,right?...what is about the gumetal paint?Is it more dark or brighter?Is it very metallic or not?
All pics are so different about the different lights on the expos and the flash of the the cameras.

Attachments

• 19534475ar.jpg
    19534475ar.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 19534475ar.jpg
    19534475ar.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 84
Last edited by a moderator:
Gents,
perhaps I'm off but the width of the nose grooves is shorter than those on the anh mask and follow on casts derived from the mould & fashioned into the subsequent masks for esb/ rotj.
Perhaps it was created from a further generation mould, & the mould was pinched tighter in this area?

Always wondered why this was different, perhaps this is food for your theory above....

Yes...that are all theorys...but it could be right that the nose was replaced.They also could used a broken mold for the reveal mask.That are all possible variations.
You can only ask the guy who built it for the movie...if he is still alive...and can remember what he has exactly done over 30 Years ago!;)

My collar with the screenaccurate new screw:

19550803na.jpg

Your mask is looking excellent. I'll be looking forward to see how you tackle the collar because I just cannot get one of these to for the correct shape when it's put into the lower mask. I wonder if there is some kind of armature added so it'll hold the correct shape?

Thanks,man...yours,too!:):thumbsup

What do you think exactly with the collar?The shape in the middle of it when you look from the top?

19578543hf.jpg

I have all the parts complete for my collar..need only the correct grill behind the splitplugs.

Must finish some details first.I will not glue the little parts on the mask.;)

Yesterday I worked on the crown and the wire of the raised line came up...thanks god in one clean line!

19598110aj.jpg

Would anyone be interested in copper dynodes? I might be getting some. Not sure how much they are yet but I know they won't be the £600+ they are on Electron tubes!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back