Darth Vader Helmet Costume Suit REPLACEMENT LENSES

darthraider

I noticed that there are replacement lenses from wwwtriktoyscom on eBay currently and I'd like to know if this item is worth to upgrade (USD21) if anyone here bought it...

You need to seek out Lenseman for real high quality lenses.

He's just produced a set for the Rubies Supreme, and they don't have those nasty lugs on them like the trikstoys ones have.

Very similar in price too.

If you can't find him here, hop over to www.thepropzone.com an contact him from there..

HTH.

Originally posted by TK/TB6540@Mar 23 2006, 08:20 PM
You need to seek out Lenseman for real high quality lenses.

He's just produced a set for the Rubies Supreme, and they don't have those nasty lugs on them like the trikstoys ones have.

Very similar in price too.

If you can't find him here, hop over to www.thepropzone.com an contact him from there..

HTH.
[snapback]1211636[/snapback]​

I'm aware of Lenseman. However, that lens will require some additional cutting work to be done on the helmet right? (which I'm a bit concern)

[/quote]

I'm aware of Lenseman. However, that lens will require some additional cutting work to be done on the helmet right? (which I'm a bit concern)
[snapback]1211699[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Easy work , Go with lenseman , you wont be sorry ;)

Yup, what he said...Lenseman lenses are really top quality.

For the Rubies supreme, there is little choice but to work on the eyes unless you want the new lenses to be front fitting, which never looks great IMO.

With these lenses, would you have to "build up" or "resculpt", or will they fit the existing contour (shape) as long as you've cut out the tabs?

I hope my question is clear :$

As far as I am aware, they will fit the existing contour perfectly.

But the best person to ask is lenseman directly.

No they won't fit once the old sockets have been trimmed down. But i have a very simple method for you One you have trimmed the old tabs away, tidy up with a file. Then you have to use filler to accomodate the new lenses. The easiest and most accurate way to do this is:

Get your new lenses (i highly reccommend lenseman to , excelent quality), if you put your lenses in from behind (how they should be) you will see where the gaps are that need filling, the gaps are not that big. Then, get your new lenses, cover them in one layer of masking tape so it is nice and tight. Then place your new lenses in from behing, tape them in place so they wont's move. And with them in place, fill in the gaps. Let the filler dry for an hour or two, then carefully remove the lenses from behind. The filler will not get on the lenses and damage them due to the masking tape. When they are removed, you will end up with eye sockets perfectly flush agaisnt the new lenses, then all that is left is light filing and sanding to get it perfect.
I hope you get what i'm trying to explain, if not i can post pics of what i mean.
It is worth it, the new lenses make a world of difference to the mask

I thought i would add a couple of pics any how to give you an idea, below in the first pic you can see what it looks like when you removge the Rubies lenses. You can see where the tab slots are.
Firstly cut away the old rim (shown in red, sorry about mylines, not too staight, double click on pic to enlarge)

Second file the rough bits, then cover the lenses in tape (shown in pic two) and place them in fron behind then tape them in from behind, where the red arrows are you will see gaps all around but just fill these gaps with lenses still in place

Finally after you have sanded the crud away, you will have perfectly fitting new lenses:

Originally posted by Darth Domain@Mar 23 2006, 05:36 PM
No they won't fit once the old sockets have been trimmed down. But i have a very simple method for you One you have trimmed the old tabs away, tidy up with a file. Then you have to use filler to accomodate the new lenses. The easiest and most accurate way to do this is:

Get your new lenses (i highly reccommend lenseman to , excelent quality), if you put  your lenses in from behind (how they should be) you will see where the gaps are that need filling, the gaps are not that big. Then, get your new lenses, cover them in one layer of masking tape so it is nice and tight. Then place your new lenses in from behing, tape them in place so they wont's move. And with them in place, fill in the gaps. Let the filler dry for an hour or two, then carefully remove the lenses from behind. The filler will not get on the lenses and damage them due to the masking tape. When they are removed, you will end up with eye sockets perfectly flush agaisnt the new lenses, then all that is left is light filing and sanding to get it perfect.
I hope you get what i'm trying to explain, if not i can post pics of what i mean.
[snapback]1211926[/snapback]​

I know what you're saying. The thing is that my Rubies' was obtained before they were released, and at that time there was NOTHING available for it so I went with CA upgrade lenses. I figured they should fit about the same...wrong. I did what I could to install the lenses but the "outside" fit looked better in this case. I want to switch to something I can install from the inside with minimal work because I don't want to ruin the paintjob or have to repaint when I'm done. Pics would be nice :) I'd like to see how "bubbly" the lenses are (I like bubbly)

unfortunatley, once you have put filler in around the eyesockets the mask would need priming/repainting. But to make things easier it does not have to be done the two tone color, you could go for the gloss black all over look, saves a lot of messing about with masking etc. Its actually quite fun to do.

That won't work for me, my mask is already painted, and I'm doing ESB Vader. I gotta go 2-tone. Those gaps aren't that big though, maybe I can get away with it...

I realize I didn't start this question, but what kind of filler do you use (I already have the mask and lenses waiting to be put together), and do you have to dremel out the eyes or can they just be cut?

Originally posted by darthgordon@Mar 25 2006, 12:03 AM
I realize I didn't start this question, but what kind of filler do you use (I already have the mask and lenses waiting to be put together), and do you have to dremel out the eyes or can they just be cut?
[snapback]1212721[/snapback]​
Hi, i used a filler called U-Pol multi purpose filler, it is a care body repair type filler so any body filler should do. It sands well.
And yes dremel out the eyes, i found a small grinding bit to be useful, when i got close to the edge i remove the residue plastic by hand then just filed nice an smootha ll round, then, lenses in the back covered in tape then fill.

I used magic sculpt its clay like but you can work it down with water to make it as smooth as posible. befor sanding to make it as flawless as you can get it ~.0

Originally posted by Darth Domain@Mar 23 2006, 10:36 PM

Get your new lenses (i highly reccommend lenseman to , excelent quality), if you put  your lenses in from behind (how they should be) you will see where the gaps are that need filling, the gaps are not that big. Then, get your new lenses, cover them in one layer of masking tape so it is nice and tight. Then place your new lenses in from behing, tape them in place so they wont's move. And with them in place, fill in the gaps. Let the filler dry for an hour or two, then carefully remove the lenses from behind. The filler will not get on the lenses and damage them due to the masking tape. When they are removed, you will end up with eye sockets perfectly flush agaisnt the new lenses, then all that is left is light filing and sanding to get it perfect.
[snapback]1211926[/snapback]​

Ohhh man, that makes total great sense and it's soo easy.
I had put my Rubies makeover on hold till I wanted to sit down and sand my life away trying to get the sockets right....your idea is just what I needed to jumpstart my project again. Cool. :thumbsup
Thanks man.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back