Darth Unknown's Lightsaber (speculation thread)

So, for the people who were asking, I'm not really sure what I'll end up doing with my design once I've finished it. I have made some more progress thanks to the rebelscum pics though. I'm pretty happy with what I've got for the main body, so I'll probably move on to the inside bits that you can see through the gash next.

Thoughts?

Also, does anybody have an idea of how this hooks onto the belt yet? I assume the rail on the bottom front and the attachment piece on the belt slot together somehow, but I haven't quite worked out how yet.

Star-Wars-Celebration-Anaheim-2015-The-Force-Awakens-108.jpg

Pretty close. Close enough for government work. ;) One thing though, In the first teaser (I recommend the 1080p QuickTime version from Apple, not the horribly compressed YouTube version) there are some frames where you see snow/trees through parts of the pommel. That's just one of several reasons that leads me to strongly believe that the 3D printed version at Celebration 2015 is NOT the hero prop. The fact that it's 3D printed is another one, lol.

Last edited:
Wow, that looks great, mate! I believe the rails slot together just as you have pointed out, BTW. :)
If you look closely at the belt clip, from top down, you can see there is a "V" channel between the screws that goes down the length of the clip like a "Y". The saber belt clip has a long vertical "I" piece that would lock-in to this.

I'm sure there's some shape to both pieces to prevent it from falling out of that channel.

I agree with you. They would not have spent so much time and been so insistent on obtaining only vintage and authentic graflexes and an mpp from a member of this site only to use a 3d printed (lame) saber for the hero.

Pretty close. Close enough for government work. ;) One thing though, In the first teaser (I recommend the 1080p QuickTime version from Apple, not the horribly compressed YouTube version) there are some frames where you see snow/trees through parts of the pommel. That's just one of several reasons that leads me to strongly believe that the 3D printed version at Celebration 2015 is NOT the hero prop. The fact that it's 3D printed is another one, lol.

Here is a crop of the mounting bracket. I think that the "v" at the top of the belt clip assembly may have been made from scratch to ease the saber into the channel. Seems odd that a found item would use 3 separate pieces of material to get the thickness shown.

saber_mount.jpg

Here is a crop of the mounting bracket. I think that the "v" at the top of the belt clip assembly may have been made from scratch to ease the saber into the channel. Seems odd that a found item would use 3 separate pieces of material to get the thickness shown.

View attachment 466382

DUDE, thank you for putting those side by side! I think I see how it works now! :D I think I may try to mock up a model of the belt piece later today, if I have time after class.

Having seen it in person, the rail / clip system HAS to be a found part in my opinion. Basically the rail on the saber has a gap between the one side and the prong, with a catch on the prong. these parts squeeze together so that it can slide down the clip on the belt. then it catches at the bottom. Push in the side prong to release and pull up.

The rail/clip system looks to be made exactly the same way as the new stormtroopers one for their blasters. They already have the laminated plastic falling appart so I would say this was also custom made by production as you can see the different plastic layers.

DUDE, thank you for putting those side by side! I think I see how it works now! :D I think I may try to mock up a model of the belt piece later today, if I have time after class.

No problem! Just let us know if you decide to get this 3D printed....I'm in!

-Ss

I am 100% not getting what you guys are seeing in terms of how the saber piece fits into that slot. I understand the principle but I don't know what you all mean by "pinching", etc. Any chance someone could ELI5 or sketch it out for me or something? I think I'm just dense.

It could be a 'found' part in regards to the production wishes to use mostly vintage parts ... it could even come from a vintage camera used back in the 1940's or so with added stuff for the shape of the Y :wacko

Chaim

JJ: Here's a rough, poorly scaled sketch that will hopefully help. I've only included the rail and bolts on the bottom and the "receiver" on the belt.

Basically this is how it appears to work. The hilt hangs upside down with the wire side (because of the rail placement) in toward the belt. The cut out in the rail allows the side to be squeezed in a bit (my dotted line) and slide between the sides of the receiver. The top layer of the receiver runs along the back side of the rail, keeping it pressed against the belt. There's a notch out of one side which allows the squeezed rail to open back out and click into place when it gets to that point. The smaller round notches on the other side line up with the bolts for the rail and help keep it in place as well. So to release it, you just press in the bit that sticks out of the rectangular (right side) notch and it'll slide right out.

That's the best I can do right now. Hopefully it made sense :)

Amazing job so far, also love the clip attachment find!!

Has anyone else thought that that exposed gap underneath the cross guards showing the inner workings and where the red wire comes out, is maybe battle damage? And the reason why he added the cross guards?

The hole doesn't look uniform and like a light saber slash to me

anyway I'm loving this thread great work!!

exactly. and this part that you drew is what appears to be a found part. The plastic layers at the top of it to help guide the rail in place I could see as being custom.

Edit here's a pic I took of it
11138560_10206245491240807_4745832325206664247_n (1).jpg

and then flipped pommel side up with and overlay rough diagram of the belt clip to show how it slides down and locks to the belt.

11138560_10206245491240807_4745832325206664247_n.jpg

Last edited:
To clear up some most likely misinformation from one of my earlier posts, I was under the impression from frames from the first teaser, that the bottom half of the pommel on what I assumed was the Hero Kylo Ren saber was see-through as it seems as if one could see light in between the fins. After looking at the teaser again, frame by frame, I am most likely wrong in that assumption and that what I'm actually seeing is light reflecting off of metal that is much less black than the rest of the hilt.

Anywho, that clip... we must source it! NOW!!! :D

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back