Dan's Zorg EV-9D9 - finished!

3DImpact

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've had one of Chris's lovely EV-9D9 casts sitting around unfinished for some time now and I've finally been able to make some progress on it.

This is still WIP - I'm almost done actually, but thought I'd at least catch up a bit here and post what I've done along the way. I 3D modeled and printed some detail bits (the lower jaw, the rib bits under the chin, the neck) to add to the cast from Chris...

ev959_chin_planview_small.jpg

IMG_6680_small.jpg

IMG_0055_small.jpg

IMG_0332_small.jpg

IMG_0334_small.jpg

IMG_0347_small.jpg

IMG_0349_small.jpg

IMG_0361_small.jpg

IMG_0363_small.jpg

IMG_0364_small.jpg

Droid factory! :)

Weathering is pretty much done. I'll save the last bits on the details on the eye lighting for the final reveal in a couple weeks when he's all done...

IMG_0374_small.jpg

IMG_0375_small.jpg

Dan

Last edited:
Okay, he's done!

Last main things that had to be added were the white prismatics under the cheeks and under the back of the head and get the eyes wired up. I made my own LED tubes to replace the ones that came with the kit so that I could work up a very (very!) simple Arduino sketch to get the eyes blinking as seen onscreen...

IMG_0379_small.jpg

IMG_0380_small.jpg

IMG_0389_small.jpg

IMG_0394_small.jpg

IMG_0413_small.jpg

sketch_ev9d9_leds_small.jpg

And here he is!

IMG_0435_small.jpg

IMG_0438_small.jpg

IMG_0437_small.jpg

And a little fun compare with onscreen:

Dan

Remember it has a red circle around the single eye... The base underneath the antenna should be silver, I'm away from pc so can't post a ref pic.

What are the little clear box things that go around the neck? Was that a found part and identified??

Impressive work :)

Remember it has a red circle around the single eye... The base underneath the antenna should be silver, I'm away from pc so can't post a ref pic.

What are the little clear box things that go around the neck? Was that a found part and identified??

Impressive work :)

Yeah, I can see that circle now looking back to my reference images. It's pretty subtle! Hadn't quite noticed that until you mentioned it. And I don't have reference for the top of the head, not high enough to see the antenna base, so would indeed seeing what you have if you can find it.

The boxes on the onscreen prop look to me to be some sort of relays, so I just found the best match I could. Mine are undersized but I couldn't find anything else that looked as close so I just went with that. I'm sure some proper 1982ish vintage relays would do the trick...

Thanks for making a great kit!

Dan

Okay, he's done!

Last main things that had to be added were the white prismatics under the cheeks and under the back of the head and get the eyes wired up. I made my own LED tubes to replace the ones that came with the kit so that I could work up a very (very!) simple Arduino sketch to get the eyes blinking as seen onscreen...

View attachment 1685927
View attachment 1685928
View attachment 1685929
View attachment 1685930
View attachment 1685931
View attachment 1685932

And here he is!

View attachment 1685933
View attachment 1685934
View attachment 1685935

And a little fun compare with onscreen:

Dan
Great Job Dan. Absolutely amazing!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back