Daft Punk Guy Manuel Tron Legacy version, this one lights up, PIC HEAVY

colonelmasako

So first off I want to make a shout out to all the amazing RPFers who have skills with casting and creating custom helmets. I do not have such skills, but I do have skills with electronics. This project will come in multiple phases, following work and inspiration from Volpin and Tekparasite on here.

I bought this helmet from a fellow RPFer for a very reasonable sum, visor included. I also bought a pair of gloves from a friend that were originally purposed for the "Discovery" era Daft Punk Guy Manuel, but poorly painted.

The Tron Legacy version of Guy's helmet is silver, as are his gloves. The gloves I bought were black, but I think this was ok.

Here was the unpainted helmet, visor not shown, and gloves.
P1000915.jpg

To paint the gloves and the helmet, I used this awesome automotive silver spray paint, a lot of painters tape, and some automotive clear coat enamel. Here is me painting two fingers at a time, being very careful to mask off the black glove material.
P1000935.jpg

And here is the result, as progress moved forward.
P1000914.jpg

Painting the helmet was straightforward, but over such a large surface area I needed more coats than the gloves. Used a bag to keep the paint off the inside of the helmet. Using same paints as the gloves, results turned out nicely.
P1000916.jpg

Using some thin PETG (the same I will use for my LED array at a later stage) for the LED strips to mount to. This stuff is crystal clear and molds nicely with heat. I used my clamps to form the shape, and a hair dryer to get it to take.
P1000922.jpg

Skipped a lot of steps here, sorry. LED strips run off 12V, and these high density ones draw on average 200mA per foot, and get fairly warm. I cut 5 strips the length of the sub visor PETG, and put a small separation in between the rows so I could see out of. Wired them up, tested. Extreme brightness is an understatement, I love these things :love
P1000926.jpg

Once my subvisor was created, I needed to mount the actual helmet visor to the painted helmet. I used some E9001 glue, and lots of clamps, and about 3 days of drying time. Results are rock solid, this visor isn't going anywhere.
P1000927.jpg

This is kind of ghetto, but surpisingly resilient. I used some painters tape to fit check the sub visor inside the main visor, to make the LEDs line up right. This actually sticks very well so I kept it taped in there.
P1000932.jpg

Because when I tried on the helmet, it looked really good. Sorry about the flash in this picture. It was quite warm inside the helmet, too warm for my tastes.
P1000929.jpg

Ran to radio shack and picked up a few fans. Used some #6-32 3/4" bolts with some rounded ends to create a nice gap to help glue the bolts in, to mount the fans. Finding a spot to mount it in the helmet without interfering with my head was mighty tricky.
P1000931.jpg

Used my super clamps and a lot of E9001 glue, mounted the fans where they wanted to fit best, without causing things to be too tight in the helmet. I notice that this helmet, compared to Thomas's, is a lot more tight on space.
P1000934.jpg

Now while the glue was drying, I considered power for the helmet. The fans and the lights all run off 12V, and I had an existing 12V Lithium Ion battery box from another project. I started to create a splitter box that would allow me to control these two power types independently.
P1000936.jpg

Some dremel and drill work to get everything mounted.
P1000937.jpg

Final product with extender cable to my battery box. Wire gauge used for all of this was 22AWG. I was careful here, as 22AWG can carry a max 920mA for power. I measured my system at a maximum 840mA, pushing the limits but still ok.
P1000940.jpg

And mounted using velcro to my battery box. Its kind of bulky, but thats because there is a 6800mAh battery in here, works very nicely.
P1000941.jpg

Glue dried on fans, I reinforced this with hot glue just in case. Did a fit check, its hard getting my head into the helmet but once on the fans don't interfere with my head.
P1000942.jpg

Glued some foam in for a tighter fit, and to make sure my better half can also wear this helmet.
P1000943.jpg

My lame Daft Punk pose with the helmet and my standard leather jacket. The fans feel AMAZING, makes the helmet so much more comfortable.
P1000945.jpg

All ready on the helmet for con next weekend. Next steps: reflective tape for the track jacket for the rest of this costume.

Then for an April con: switch this LED system out for a fully animated version, just like Thomas's, only white. Stay tuned....

Hey colonel! Nice to see one of my casts coming to life!
One question.. Did the helmet warp?! :confused

I noticed some warp zones on the helmet.. Then again, it might be the angle of the photo taken.. Please inform me whether it did.

By the way, it looks great! That paint is awesome! :)

Last edited:
Hi Fennec, sorry I didn't give you credit, thanks for the helmet kit once again.

Not sure if it did warp. What you see in the picture is how it came. I noticed some slightly asymmetrical sections, but I thought this was normal so paid it no mind.

The important thing is that it fits (barely, my head must be close to your size), and does the job. My only regret is the visor mounting tolerances were very tight, and I didn't put it in at just the right angle. Glue is dried already so too late, but there is a noticeable gap at the top. I made it less obvious, but as this was my first time playing with a Daft Punk helmet I take it as a lesson learned.

I'm curious why you think its warped? Can you point out the sections that got your attention?

Hi Fennec, sorry I didn't give you credit, thanks for the helmet kit once again.

Not sure if it did warp. What you see in the picture is how it came. I noticed some slightly asymmetrical sections, but I thought this was normal so paid it no mind.

The important thing is that it fits (barely, my head must be close to your size), and does the job. My only regret is the visor mounting tolerances were very tight, and I didn't put it in at just the right angle. Glue is dried already so too late, but there is a noticeable gap at the top. I made it less obvious, but as this was my first time playing with a Daft Punk helmet I take it as a lesson learned.

I'm curious why you think its warped? Can you point out the sections that got your attention?

It's okay, it's not like you didn't credit me at all :)
I could name some sections, for instance the rear bottom hook looks like it slanted a bit.

Here -
P1000932.jpg

I realize it's not the picture anymore, it did slightly warp...
Take a look at the lower right hand side corner of the helmet in this picture. Do you notice that the "leg" is slightly going inward? Ugh..

Could it be that the way I packaged the helmet, combined with the heat conditions of shipping might have caused this?
I don't remember the bucket looking this way when I shipped it..

Anyway, I apologize for this incident.. I am considering the revision of this helmet and actually make it to fit the current style (tron revised)

Would you be interested in a cast if I do finish this build? The price for you would be considerably lower due to this "warping" incident.. :confused

Well I'm not too worried that it warped. Its acceptable for a first time build. If you do another cast with a visor I might indeed be interested. Had a lot of fun with this build, another one might be good to have. An army of Daft Punk helmets....muahahaha! PM with details on this new build and I'll keep my interest :D

I'll keep you tuned in.
By the way, it fits tight? I would figure it would fit a little bit on the bigger side.
How tall are you?
My Guy Manuel measurements were 8" opening across (width), 11" opening long (depth), could you confirm this?
I had an incident with my master.. haha! :lol

The new one is shaping out to 6.5" opening wide, 10.5" opening long.
The Tron revised version is thinner yet still long-ish.

I think these measurements are fine. I have a 23.5 melon head and it will fit me with room for lights and perhaps 1 or 2 fans.

Judging by your comment "its hard getting my head into the helmet but once on the fans don't interfere with my head"
Does that mean that the revised version would fit you at all?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back