Daft Punk Guy Manuel Helmet

Kommy

Hi there, I am new here and I was sent here by a friend for assistance. So what I am trying to do is build a Guy-Manuel helmet replica from Daft Punk. So, My question is how would I go about doing this, Where to start, What tools do I need to complete the project and possibly where to get them. Now I found a video along with guys blog of him going through creation process if that makes it any easier.

Video
How to make a Daft Punk helmet in 17 months - YouTube

Here is the blog, It goes a little more in depth
Volpin Props | Prop Maker – Beer Drinker

Also I am very new at this, So, Tips and trick on how to do this would be nice to, and Thanks in advance...Going to be a challenging project but I am up for it. Aiming to make it as close to the original as possible.

That's Volpin's helmet, which is hella nice (obviously). Since you're a newbie, I recommend playing around with Pepakura since its pretty user friendly. Pep files give you a printable version of whatever you want to make. Cut out the parts, glue them together, fiberglass the inside, bondo the outside, sand, paint, wear.

Is Volpin's write up not detailed enough? I'm pretty sure he includes all the information you need to make your own including line drawings that you can recreate. It really depends on what techniques you would be comfortable with working with since you can create the same prop multiple ways. I've seen quite a few people go the Pepakura route since there's already pep files out there - just look around on the web and you should be able to find a few versions. I'm pretty sure Volpin likes to have full control over the creative process so he opted for the insulation foam route. You also need to decide if you're planning on making one that you're going to cast and mold or if it's going to be wearable from the get-go because that will influence your creation process.

Remember that while most people will provide you with information if you ask, people will probably not just hand over a set of detailed plans and pre-made instructions when you don't have any progress or thoughts on how you're going to make it.

That's Volpin's helmet, which is hella nice (obviously). Since you're a newbie, I recommend playing around with Pepakura since its pretty user friendly. Pep files give you a printable version of whatever you want to make. Cut out the parts, glue them together, fiberglass the inside, bondo the outside, sand, paint, wear.

I would definitively start with pepakura too. Although it may not be the most accurate route, it still gives you a very decent base to start with.

I've already used Pepakura and found a image set thanks to a good friend, I am going to head on over there sometime next week and get a rough model set to start off.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back