Daft Punk Guy Helmet: Final p.16, TRON p.20

Re: Daft Punk Helmet Build - FINISHED! p.16 for pics & vid

P.S. +5 bonus cool points for taking photos at the Majestic! That's some good eatin'. :)

hey Volpin I have a guy on my italian propmaking board who's making an helmet following your progress, thanks to him i discovered your works and i must say i'm impressed by your skills! You are a true inspiration for any propmaker!

here is the thread he started, he is following your path step by step!
• Leggi argomento - Casco DAFT PUNK GUY MANUEL, quanto resina mi serve?

you are very welcom to stop by and say hello, we all speak english :)

wonderful job again!

Saverio

well worth the wait, so awesome, a true masterpiece!!

and I cant believe its been a year, didnt seem that long.

That gives me ideas on one of the helmets i'm doing for the new tron film!

The vid is awesome. This has been great inspiring work.

Thx again Volpin.

There is a booth here at Comic Con where a guy is proudly displaying a Daft Punk helmet... and all I could do as I walked by was think "you are no Volpin."

Volpin, just saw your client on G4 with two other Daft costumers. You're helmet was definitely the best of the bunch. Kevin Perrera said your helmet in particular must have cost 10k to make.

Volpin, just saw your client on G4 with two other Daft costumers. You're helmet was definitely the best of the bunch. Kevin Perrera said your helmet in particular must have cost 10k to make.

haha, yeah! My client said Olivia Munn was kind of impolite, but it looked cool to have it on TV!

I can't tell you how many requests I've gotten for this thing. The video is up to 300,000 views... unbelievable!

I can't tell you how many requests I've gotten for this thing. The video is up to 300,000 views... unbelievable!
I doubt most of them truly appreciate the effort, time, skill, and craftsmanship that went into it. Having dealt with the Dafties (As I've just started calling Daft Punk fans) before, I've found they tend to mostly be younger guys who think that $100 should buy them a 100% accurate helm.

What you've created, I think, has truly transcended a simple replica to become a whole new entity, worthy of its own pedestal to be put upon. I mean how many other replica prop makers do we have whose work is actually being used as reference material for other replicas OVER actual images of the helmet?

Awesome job at, well, being awesome!

I may have been introduced to your work nearly a year and a half ago through this project, but now I can't wait to see all the awesome new things you're working on as they develop.

-Nick

Having dealt with the Dafties (As I've just started calling Daft Punk fans) before, I've found they tend to mostly be younger guys who think that $100 should buy them a 100% accurate helm.

"OMG I can has helmet of Daft Punk?! I can only pay you $75 dollars because I just bought new iPod :3 KTHNK BAI!"

I doubt most of them truly appreciate the effort, time, skill, and craftsmanship that went into it. Having dealt with the Dafties (As I've just started calling Daft Punk fans) before, I've found they tend to mostly be younger guys who think that $100 should buy them a 100% accurate helm.

What you've created, I think, has truly transcended a simple replica to become a whole new entity, worthy of its own pedestal to be put upon. I mean how many other replica prop makers do we have whose work is actually being used as reference material for other replicas OVER actual images of the helmet?

Hah, thanks for the glowing review Nick!

And I have to agree, the Internet as a whole seems to be remarkably judgmental over the whole thing. I think one of the most often asked questions I've gotten on my Youtube video is "Why did this take 17 months to do?" then they say something about how they, or someone they know, could have completed it in less time.

For those curious, here's a brief overview of other things I've made in the last 17 months - I almost with I could send this list to everyone who makes a comment like that, but people online will always have something to complain about, I guess.

4751309138_0fbab9cb80.jpg

4806956573_d63154f221.jpg

4806955651_a5746a1230.jpg

4659671449_eff3d27302.jpg

4792491334_c2075be06d.jpg

4589800581_e343a97da1.jpg

4485250290_2366898bec.jpg

4407239526_a9d4a341bb.jpg

3926985455_9d7cdfc39b.jpg

4128263416_0d381244b4.jpg

3722073021_e981aa52d7.jpg

3650605937_fb36a7bcfb.jpg

Most of the requests aren't really actual requests, but thats fine because I don't really have a burning desire to make another one.

I will be starting work on Thomas' helm soon(ish) but I'm taking a bit of a break from the Punk for a little while. Also, I don't really want to step on DP's toes, since I'm guessing they have more powerful lawyers than I could ever afford. I like one off projects.

I'd want to hear what the real Daft Punk think of what you did. I'm sure they'd be impressed. They might even hire you to make some new ones for them.

haha, yeah! My client said Olivia Munn was kind of impolite, but it looked cool to have it on TV!

I saw 2 shorter people wearing DP helmets. I wonder if it was them.

FB

Late to the party, but just adding my 'amazing' to the pile. It's been great following the creation of this piece, enjoying the craftmanship,dedication and love that was put in it. the end result is just beautiful. Consider me a fan!

Wow your vid is at almost half a mil in a weeks time. I've been folling your progrees for a long time , great to see it completed , nice work.

Hah, thanks for the glowing review Nick!

<<<SNIP>>>

I will be starting work on Thomas' helm soon(ish) but I'm taking a bit of a break from the Punk for a little while.

Don't mention it, thanks for chronicling your build and process so thoroughly for all of us nerds.

I am curious though, now that you've completed this and are looking ahead to eventually making Thomas' helmet, it might be interesting to know what you would have changed about your build process. I remember early on you basically saying you made up the technique you used as you went along, and ended up with every material under the sun being used for your sculpt.

So, if it was 17 months ago and you had the knowledge you have now, what sort of changes in technique would we have seen?

Sorry if I seem like I'm harping on the past, but I think a lot of us (read: me) could learn a lot by knowing what changes you would have made in hindsight.

Thanks again for your amazing attention to detail, and your hard work.

-Nick

Don't mention it, thanks for chronicling your build and process so thoroughly for all of us nerds.

I am curious though, now that you've completed this and are looking ahead to eventually making Thomas' helmet, it might be interesting to know what you would have changed about your build process. I remember early on you basically saying you made up the technique you used as you went along, and ended up with every material under the sun being used for your sculpt.

So, if it was 17 months ago and you had the knowledge you have now, what sort of changes in technique would we have seen?

Sorry if I seem like I'm harping on the past, but I think a lot of us (read: me) could learn a lot by knowing what changes you would have made in hindsight.

Thanks again for your amazing attention to detail, and your hard work.

-Nick

Very good question Nick.

Like everyone else I followed this thread closely. I love Daft Punk. I've gotten even more into them lately but have been into them since their first vid with the dog/man walking around town on crutches.

This helmet is perfect. I am floored. :love

(y)thumbsup

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back