Daft Punk Alive 2007 EL suit

MojoK

Hi all, this is my first post here. I'm really not sure how I missed this community as I'm a Halloween nut and have been building my own replicas for years (sadly in a quite low tech way compared to what I've seen on here). I thought I'd share my version of the Daft Punk Alive 2007 tour robot costumes. I saw the Daft Punk robot suits on tour and had to try to reproduce it. I've mostly attached pictures here from my nights out using the suit. I didn't realize this forum was here or else I would have taken build pictures. I didn't go for identical fidelity to the originals as I ended up putting the whole thing together rather quickly but the effect was pretty solid I think. I'd love to hear what you all think.

Some build notes: Its mostly just EL wire, a spare motorcycle suit and a ton of bondo and spray paint. I tried creating the effect using a standard leather jacket as the Daft Punk guys do but it looked a little soft to me and actually ended up being brutally hot when I wore it out. For version 2, I used a summer racing motorcycle jacket as the built in armor gave me the tougher frame I wanted and the material was built to be super breathable. I initially tried sewing the EL wire to the jacket but it turned out that tightly sewed loops were horrible when I was moving around and, in the first version, the loops would pop free when I started dancing. I ended up using micro safety pins along the length of the EL wire. They were fairly invisible when the light was low and didn't break the effect of the continuous glowing wire and also let the wire move back and forth enough - that flexibility let it move enough to keep from popping off the jacket frame when I danced but still kept it fairly tightly in place on the jacket.

Attachments

• n29000993_31598192_6234.jpg
    n29000993_31598192_6234.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_9436.JPG
    IMG_9436.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_9435.JPG
    IMG_9435.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 225
  • BestCostume.JPG
    BestCostume.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_9385.JPG
    IMG_9385.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 340
  • 372_521745690581_6520_n.jpg
    372_521745690581_6520_n.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 282
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back