Cylon rifle details

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by starbuckcylon, Jun 21, 2006.

1. starbuckcylon

starbuckcylon Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

[attachmentid=8646]

I bought two battleship models I was recommended that might be what they used for the detail piece on the side of the rifle. But they were not correct. Take a look at these photos and see if you recognize any parts.

Thanks
    Jim

www.wegottafindearth.com

2. DrStranglove

DrStranglove Sr Member

Pretty sure they are Navy ships of some kind.

{Ducks beer can.}

3. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't see any matches in those parts. Looks like you were led toward the wrong kits...it happens.

OR....some kits, such as the Yamato used for SW models, have been retooled over the years and no longer have matching parts. If that's the case here, you need to seek out vintage kits instead of the ones currently available.

4. nickytea

nickytea Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I dont know about the models, but my cylon rifle has the detail part seen in your lower picture on both sides. My entire rifle is vacu-form molded from the actual molds used on the show, the detail pieces on both sides are resin casts. I still need to do some dremeling and add a flash strobe.

5. Houston Robocop

Houston Robocop Well-Known Member

Jim,

Were the detail parts used on the Cylon Rifles identical on both sides?

A ebayer I talked to before hade resin castings he said were castings off the original rifle. He had 2 of them on auction just last week. It look liked the second picture you posted... the one with the 3 ball-shaped part.

I think his ebay ID was chromefx

Nick

6. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

7. prop fan

prop fan Well-Known Member

I use to have a cylon rifle that I had for about 12 years and the details were the same on both sides on mine.....the top black pictures posted by starbuck, the top detail with the label 6 1/2 " long is the detail part mine had and it was the same on both sides......it didnt have the other detail part, the one in the lower pic......I was told the detail part was a cast from one of the parts used on the Galatica ship model for the show although I dont know what kit bash it was from, but if anyone knows what kits were used to help make the Galatica that might be a start.

8. Bug Stomper

Bug Stomper Well-Known Member

Hmm, at least the Missouri is a good start.

[​IMG]

The parts seem to be from a ship of the same class, however there are subtle differences in the number of AA-guns and stuff. Based on the parts makred I'd first check if the scale is correct. Then look for kits of that class of ships.

Cheers,
    Stefan

9. starbuckcylon

IÂ’ve seen the ebay auction for the side panels and itÂ’s a great deal. I think people missed the auction. He wants to get on the RPF but registration is closed. His screen used rifle has the same detailing on both sides.

Also IÂ’m looking for someone to machine the tip for me. I have detailed photos if someone can help me out.

Jim

www.wegottafindearth.com

10. Montagar

Montagar Legendary Member Community Staff

<div class='quotetop'>(starbuckcylon @ Jun 22 2006, 01:13 PM) [snapback]1265999[/snapback]</div>
    Registration is open...

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?...ounce&f=6&id=22

11. GoldCylon1

GoldCylon1 Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Montagar @ Jun 22 2006, 11:38 AM) [snapback]1266014[/snapback]</div>
    Registration is open...

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?...ounce&f=6&id=22
    [/b][/quote]

Thanks Bill for opening up the door so I could sign up. I am Dale, I sold the rifle panels on eBay a few weeks ago. I haven't made anything like this before, but the few I made came out very good. The first couple were over loaded with black tint that left a tacky touch to the pieces. I have since cut back about 90% on the amount of tinting I used to color the crystal clear liquid plastic I was using. I wasn't told that I should use a release and the pours after the 4 or five panel I made, the rubber mold started pulling a part a little bit more each pour. It finally got to the point I didn't want to pour into that mold anymore. I am sure the minor detail of damage were so minor that you wouldn't be able to tell, but I could. So I made a new mold yesterday. This time I used a 1:1 resin mix, and well the guys at the counter gave me to different formula mixes. Nothing happened, it just sat in the mold like a muddle of muddy water. Four hours later I took the resin back, and exchanged it for a new set. It was tried out at the shop, with the mold I made, and click it heated up, and harden before I made it out the door. So I am now pouring a few more, and need a few days to catch up on what I have on back order. Once I get caught up, I'll place a few more up on eBay, and I'll post a note here when they are ready.
    PS I only have the one panel that is posted by StarbuckCylon on the top photo.

12. Dale

Dale New Member

Hi Jim,

I printed out the USS Missouri deck photo and the rifle detail photo and matched them up. It looks like a perfect match. The rifle detail appears to have been modified and shaved in some areas.

Dale T
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. GoldCylon1

That looks like a dead on match with a few extra parts added on.[​IMG]

14. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well done, Centurion. It matches better than I thought. However, I agree with Bug Stomper that the true match would be another model of the same ship or ship class. There are a few minor proportional differences.

But if it were me I'd probably use the part I had, it being already so close.

15. Dale

Dale New Member

Thanks. I agree there are some subtle differences. You could be right. We need the exact length of the area used from the model and the length of the rifle detail section to see if they match up. Maybe Starbuckcylon and Chromed FX could post the measurements?.

Dale T

16. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It also looks as if the screen-used one has engraved deck planks.

-Mike

17. GoldCylon1

<div class='quotetop'>(Centurion @ Jun 23 2006, 11:04 AM) [snapback]1266765[/snapback]</div>
    Since I have it here on the desk, not just a photo I'll lay the ruler out, and place the panel next to the ruler, and snap a photo.

18. Mycroft Holmes

Mycroft Holmes Well-Known Member

Try the 1/700 line like Waterline, Tamiya or Hasegawa. You will find the details is higher and they have plank detail :D And the two turbine details mid way look to be from a 1/48 F-18 or F-15. ALL of these were in the shop and used B)

How about some picts of the entire rifel and dimentions :angel

Mark

19. GoldCylon1

<div class='quotetop'>(Mycroft Holmes @ Jun 24 2006, 02:02 AM) [snapback]1267168[/snapback]</div>
    I have posted detail photo's of the rifle in the weapons section of my photo gallery.

20. GoldCylon1

Here is the side panel with a yard stick next to it.

[​IMG]

21. Dale

Dale New Member

The kit Jim has, is a 1973 version, I just bought the same exact model from 1977. Hopefully it's a revised edition and has the plank detail and other minor differences?.

Dale T

22. starbuckcylon

[attachmentid=8722]This one is to big?

Jim

23. Dale

Dale New Member

Yes, it appears to be from a smaller ship of the same class?.

Dale

<div class='quotetop'>(starbuckcylon @ Jun 24 2006, 11:13 PM) [snapback]1267517[/snapback]</div>

Well that one appears to be the right one. It has the planks. Way to go Jim.

Dale

24. GoldCylon1

Yes that is to big, but at least I can see the details in some of the areas clearer now.

25. OhioAstromech

OhioAstromech Well-Known Member

What scale is that model?
    If it is 1/350 you may have to locate the same ship in 1/400 to 1/700 scale.

26. Dale

Dale New Member

<div class='quotetop'>(OhioAstromech @ Jul 1 2006, 11:56 AM) [snapback]1272025[/snapback]</div>

I believe 1/700 is the right scale.

Dale

27. belleauwood

belleauwood Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Centurion @ Aug 3 2006, 07:54 PM) [snapback]1293251[/snapback]</div>

I believe 1/700 is the right scale.

Dale
    [/b][/quote]

Lets get some traffic on this one again . . .

Dale, you are right on target. My scale conversions from the 1/526 Missouri I have to the correct size from a cast come out to 1/700. And that would be "available in 1977" 1/700. Also, I think the Tamiya has engraved plank details, these are raised. That should help limit the field some.

Anyone get an ID kit yet in that scale? I've got an idea, and I have also positively ID'd a few of the parts on the version of the sidepanel we're talking about so far. And no, I'm not telling (yet), I need to grab a few of these kits first before the ebay price goes through the roof. I'm already out about $200 on kits on this one . . . most are now in my "kitbash" box. Though a few did yield some very nice finds for my "eastern alliance" cruiser WIP . . .

As far as the version without the Battleship base, if I had some better pics (StarbuckCylon?) I could start making some further headway on that too. I'm stalled on most of the smaller ones on that version as the pic is just not clear enough to match up.

28. GoldCylon1

Hey Belleauwood just wondering how your rifle came out?

29. belleauwood

belleauwood Well-Known Member

Rifle, no progress, same as my Cylon. Been too busy with real life lately to do much of anything.

Now, I did ID the ship in question though . . .

Just need to get two in hand before I throw out what they are and drive the price up . . .

Ryan