Cyclops Visor - Sculpt to Finish

Notbob

Here's a project I am on the verge of finishing up. I thought this might be a project right around my skill level. Last fall someone had asked me if I could do a Cyclops visor. I couldn't quit figure out a way to fabricate something like this without it being all sorts of flimsy.

After thinking about it for a couple of months, I thought the best way would be to sculpt it to a lifecast. That was a whole other adventure.....

I managed to talk my wife into letting me get my head cast for a future project. This way I figured I could get some practice sculpting right to a casting of my head.

I used some whiffle balls for the curves and basic shapes. I used some plastic card on the ear muffs for the flat space and the ring around the "X". I used a medium hardness plasticene. Smoothing was a huge challenge and someone recommended charcoal lighter fluid, which works pretty awesome. Symmetry was also a major challenge for me.

So far I have molded the project 3 times. Each time I cleaned it up a little more. I used rebound 25 for the silicone mold. I used chopped strand fiberglass and polyester resin for the mother mold.

They are slush cast with Smooth-On 300. I broke the first one out of the mold! I started backing them with chopped strand and polyester fiberglass. I also used some Evercoat Kitty Hair for backing in tight spaces. They've been pretty durable, but I did crack one when I was sanding on it.

The visor is a red piece of acrylic from Tap Plastics. It's a little thick. I may try and find another material if I do any more of them.

I painted them mostly with Auto Air colors. I did use some Liquitex in there as well. I also did a pair using the Auto Air candy colors. I think I prefer the solid colors to the candy ones. I used some Auto Air Hot Rod Sparkle gold mixed into the colors for the pearls. I also used some powder pigments, but I much prefered the Auto Air pre mixed. I also tried some Liquitex Irridescent medium which added a nice sparkle but turned things silvery. Martha Stewart Pearl colors also have a high silver in them. Unfortunately, the pearls don't get picked up by the camera.

I couldn't decide which color to back the "X" in. I ended up doing two in red and two in black. I put a little pearl blue on top of the black and it really shows up in the photo.

I don't really have any interest in doing a Cyclops cosplay, but I thought it would be an interesting project. I sure learned a lot and really have a deeper appreciation for true sculptors! And this forum was a great resource. I wanted to post this in the hopes it helps someone further down the road.

I will probably wear them around SDCC next weekend. If you see me say Hi!

Thanks for reading and feedback is always welcome!

A link to what few pictures I took of the buildup....

http://s221.photobucket.com/user/krozathotep/library/Cyclops Visor

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back