Cuttin bone SMELLS!

AJLoCascio

Sr Member
So I've been dremeling through a piece of bone for a wand prop and ***** H. Tap Dancing ****** does it smell like burning hell !

Anyone else experienced this ?

Moony

It's also super toxic so i hope you're wearing a filter. We use cow and deer bone in our knife handles and it'll tear you up bad. We've taken to working with it outside because of the dust. plus we get it from the butcher and it has to be boiled to clean off the meat and marrow from inside.

You don't want to inhale bone/antler dust, it's not too healthy. I'd wear some sort of filter mask, even if it's a cheap disposable one.

And yeah, they do smell bad.

Edit: like Wes said.

lol My dad's used cow horn and the worst part is having to boil it to get it to stay flat when you need flat pieces. The dust gets everywhere too which is another reason all big projects get done outside now.

The dust is extremely sharp, kind of like the ash from a volcano that kills people, and it will literally tear up your lungs and sinuses. it did a number on my throat one time when i breathed some in.

When I was in the Army I had some severely impacted lower wisdom teeth, and after cracking them in half for extraction there was still some roots in my jawbone. The dentist used a drill on my jawbone to get at them.
The smell was awful, and the pain was pretty bad as well.
I am of the thought I should not have been awake for that.

lol I sent a PM earlier joking that once you smell cut/sanded bone and then go to the dentist you'll have flashbacks of projects while getting drilled.

You think that's bad? Try cutting human bone, that stuff smells like...um...you know what? Never mind.

You'd think bone would smell like bone and knowing folks on here I'm not sure if you're joking or not Funky lol.

You think Cutting bone is bad, try getting all of the flesh to sludge off in a 55 gal. tub of acid in the basement, in the middle of summer!;)

We cut thru a few elk skulls to get the horns off, but we were outside with total ventilation n i dont remember if it smelled. Didn't inhale any dust from it either

Wow - glad to hear I'm not the only one ! An I didn't just get a smelly bone !

I wore a mask thankfully ! And I also pretty much held my breath the entire time so I hope to god I don't tear up my lungs or get and sort of freaking weird bone throat infection - that would be hell for a voice actor.

I'm gonna post up pics of the finished piece one I get all the wands complete. So Far I've made 4, and the bone one is by far the most details. Turned a deer bone into a snake's head for a friend.

Freaking bones

- AJ

Yeah...tried turning a cow femur on the lathe to make a bone handle for a cane. Smelled like burning toenails.

What is a Tap-Dancing ***** ****** prop :confused

(Seriously. I'm sure its not the first image that popped into my mind)

EDIT : OK ! Now I get it ! :lol (phew).

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back