Cut Snake's Ludicrous Enterprise

Cut Snake

After seeing Into Darkness, I just had to have a model of the new Enterprise.

When it seemed I wouldn't be able to get the one offered by Revell, I decided to try my hand at pepping my own.

I have since received a model, with thanks to info from propcollector and PeteVenkman in the model kit thread.

However, I am still going ahead with my pep build, which I will be documenting here.

First of all I created the model in Blender. It took me 3 weeks and 3 days.

Here is the base model.

As part of the design, I've included window locations so it will be easier to cut them out when I am ready to.

It took me 1 week and 2 days to unfold all the pep files I created.

Virtually every file gave me the message that there were too many faces and it will take a long time.

I am in it for the long haul.....

Here is the top section of the saucer, just to give an idea.

I searched far and wide for clear plastic domes for the nacelle collectors.

The ones I ended up finding set the scale for the whole thing.

Free cookie to the first person to guess what scale I am making this model.

Progress so far:

Created 3d model : 3 weeks 3 days
Unfolded pep : 1 week 2 days

Cutting and assembling pep: In progress.

Scale : go on, give it a guess.

I am working fairly regularly on this, so I intend to give updates often.

Hope it's a build worthy of the forum. :)

i dunno, do pantyhose still come in those clear egg things? i'm guessing you're using them :p

also, holy complex pep build, batman! i'm working on one that's pretty difficult, but a pep JJprise is something else ;)

whatever scale it is, it's gonna be freakin massive. good on you man, i tip my hat at your tenacity. will follow closely.

question, will you be releasing for downloads?

i dunno, do pantyhose still come in those clear egg things? i'm guessing you're using them :p

also, holy complex pep build, batman! i'm working on one that's pretty difficult, but a pep JJprise is something else ;)

Not pantyhose eggs. :)

Eventually I will do the standard peps, ironman, stormtrooper etc, but really wanted to do something nobody else has done.

Watching the recent movie nailed it for me.

whatever scale it is, it's gonna be freakin massive. good on you man, i tip my hat at your tenacity. will follow closely.

question, will you be releasing for downloads?

Thanks for the encouragement!

I will probably release it, though without the exact same domes I am using it would probably not work for most folks.

There are also a few little tricks I've incorporated that I would need to explain to any builder.

Also I don't want somebody else finishing it before I do.... ;)

But, yeah, I'd be happy to share it when the time is right.

Been quite busy, progressing well.

First I had to build a desk using two old doors donated by my nieces.

First up is the saucer top.

Here's a layout of the pieces, just to show how many there are. I have not included the support fins.

I made a big mistake when I began assembling the saucer top.

I thought it would be best to build each ring and attach them together.

Due to the flat nature of the saucer top, the tabs and my way of building it didn't work as hoped. I stopped about half way.

I doubled the number of support fins and made a base to attach them to.

I also cut the side tab off each piece and assembled the saucer top piece by piece.

I also added more support fins for the outer ring, as the gap had grown quite a bit.

The saucer top will be ready for fibreglassing tomorrow and I will post pics soon.

After taping the joins where I cut off the tabs, and repairing the damage my two cats caused, the saucer top is ready for a coat of resin.

Obligatory pic with a can of coke for scale.

Saucer bottom is next up, then hopefully things should speed up a bit.

fantastic. the sheer size it will become boggles the mind.

Thanks. I'm still boggling myself.

It was the size of the plastic domes I bought that dictated it, but at this size I can put in lots of detail that is missing from smaller models.

Of course, it's going to be a lot of work but I am enjoying it and hopefully the final result will be worth it.

It's a beast! how is the whole process so far? enjoying it? ;)

Thanks!

It's going well, I play the soundtrack in the background when I'm working to remind me where I'm headed.

This is my first pep, design and build, so it's a learning process, but I'm enjoying the challenge.

Nice! I've always appreciated the work that Paper Modelers do with their builds. There are a couple of fellas in our local model club who build in paper and their work is outstanding. It's a real shame that more traditional physical modelers don't appreciate the effort that goes in to paper builds. I lost patience trying to build two different models.

Thanks for sharing and great work thus far!

Nice! I've always appreciated the work that Paper Modelers do with their builds. There are a couple of fellas in our local model club who build in paper and their work is outstanding. It's a real shame that more traditional physical modelers don't appreciate the effort that goes in to paper builds. I lost patience trying to build two different models.

Thanks for sharing and great work thus far!

Thanks for watching and commenting!

It is a fair bit of work, and I am learning as I go, but I keep the end result in mind as I go.

It's satisfying to be working with my head and hands and hopefully the finished model will be something to behold. :D

Small update.

Two days ago I finished the saucer bottom (ready for a coat of resin)

I've included window positions to make it easier to cut them out.

I then got the left half of the left nacelle cut and ready to assemble.

That's when I realised that I didn't need to have every single line marked on the images.

Those lines do not need scoring, and in fact would make it harder for me if I did.

Next time I print I will try a different setting.

As it was, I ended up having to go through each piece to see if the lines needed scoring, and quite a few didn't.

Live and learn. ;)

Well, I've had a minor CAT-astrophy.

My girls got into the spare room and had their way with the saucer base. It's going to take some work to get it back to resin-ready.

I guess I should resin each piece as I'm done with it.

Also not happy with how the first nacelle half has come out.

I'm going to have to rethink my unfold, same goes for every other file I've made.

I need a drink...

I'm happy to report that after a false start and some cat-related problems, I've completed the first half of the left nacelle.

The lighting is bad in this pic which is why it looks very wonky. It's actually quite straight.

I am already into building the left half of the right nacelle.

When I redid the pep for the nacelles I set it up for best build and max efficiency.

When printed, I cut out the backing as seen in the above pic, followed by the support fins.

As I wait for the glue to dry I cut out the next section, then add it, the next cuts etc.....

The nacelles should be completed fairly quickly this way then onto the next bits.

I am thinking I will do some easy ones for a while ;)

I'm happy to report that after a false start and some cat-related problems, I've completed the first half of the left nacelle.

[url]http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q133/pxmovie/Ludicrous%20Enterprise%20Model/halfnacelleleftdone_zps50608372.jpg[/URL]

The lighting is bad in this pic which is why it looks very wonky. It's actually quite straight.

That's great work! I guess you could save a considerable amount of time if you designed some formers for the inside to give it more stability and the correct shape. Especially on the aftmost 4 sections it looks like the paper is a bit overloaded to hold the shape on its own.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back