Custom LEGO minifigure clocks

Crimson490

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I've been working on a new project: large Lego minifigures!

The idea has been rattling around in my head for years. One of my kids has a Lego Yoda alarm clock, and one day he got a cheap flashlight that glows green and it happened to fit perfectly in Yoda's hand. Eventually it died, but we always thought it would be cool if Yoda (and all the other Lego clocks) had accessories/weapons that could go with them, but Lego never made anything. I finally decided to make my own. So with calipers, CAD (and some design skill), and a 3D printer, I went to work.

It started with a lightsaber, but it was so fun I couldn't stop there. I had to make whole minifigures (or bigifigures), too! I wasn't going to waste time making characters that were already clocks, but I thought it would be cool to make some popular characters that don't exist as clocks. These models are scaled up to match the size of the clocks so that the accessories will fit with existing characters.

With larger parts, I had to redesign how the arms, legs, and hands snap together and function. I decided to do a thread and nut with spring washer for the legs and arms. And a big leaf spring for the hands. This means you can take apart the individual pieces, or tighten them to get a pose-able figure.

I currently have molds for all of the standard parts that make up a basic minifigure body (head, torso, hips, legs, arms, and hands). I'm in different stages of completion for several character-specific parts, but I've got finished molds for a couple so far (based on what my kids wanted, lol):

-Clone Phase 2 helmet
-Snow Trooper helmet/backpack (in picture below)
-Classic Space helmet and airtanks
-Lightsaber - yes, these light up either blue, red, or green. This could potentially be a double-bladed lightsaber (Darth Maul), too.
-Rifle (in picture below)

With these different characters, I've had to create the specific decals for the torso, legs, head, and helmets. I'll post pics of all the variations of decals as soon as I make more bigifigures to put them on, but so far, I've created decals for the following:

-501st Legion Clone Trooper
-212th Battalion Clone Trooper
-Shock Trooper
-Saleucami Trooper
-Captain Rex
-Snow Trooper (seen below)
-Classic Space (which is really just the chest logo)

I would love to hear your feedback on what characters/accessories you'd like to see. I never really stopped to take any pics, as I was rushing to get it all done in time for Christmas presents, but I'll work to get more pictures of my progress up for all to see.

Attachments

• Snow Trooper 1.JPG
    Snow Trooper 1.JPG
    740.7 KB · Views: 1,073
Last edited:
Re: Custom Lego "Bigifigures" - characters and accessories WIP

Are you planning on only doing Star Wars? If not the sky is wide open on the different types of figures you could do- Colonial Marines (ALIEN), HALO, BSG, Star Trek...
If you are just doing Star Wars then how about some Rebel Troopers, Pilots, Old Republic Troopers

These are awesome! If you told me that Snow Trooper was a regular minifigure I'd belive you. It looks amazing.

I would love to hear your feedback on what characters/accessories you'd like to see.
Galactus!

Also the standard motorcycle helmet. LEGO has yet to make one in this scale and it could be used for a lot of different characters. A coffee cup would also be cool.

Great ideas!

I have a Hoth Rebel soldier helmet and visor modeled but haven't taken it further yet. And no, I'm not planning to keep it only to Star Wars (hence the Classic Space man). It will probably come down to # of interested people.

Here are a few more pics of some of the finished parts.

Attachments

• 212th Clone.jpg
    212th Clone.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 530
  • Clone - disassembled.jpg
    Clone - disassembled.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 338
  • Parts.jpg
    Parts.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 247
  • Yoda - lit.jpg
    Yoda - lit.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 200
  • Yoda - unlit.jpg
    Yoda - unlit.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 203

Classic Spaceman for sure would be great....

Dredgen, do you mean these parts (see below)? The newer version of the space helmet w/ visor could also be a bike helmet, but maybe there's something else you're thinking of. And this is what I found for the coffee cup.

Also, here some 3D models I made of potential future casts...

Attachments

• 2446 - helmet.jpg
    2446 - helmet.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 3899 - cup.jpg
    3899 - cup.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 144
  • ARC-170 starfighter pilot.jpg
    ARC-170 starfighter pilot.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 82
  • AT-AT driver.jpg
    AT-AT driver.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Hoth Rebel trooper.jpg
    Hoth Rebel trooper.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

I think the interest is there...but the main question for a lot of people is what is the price going to be for these type of figures? Even a ballpark estimate will help people decide

Roger that. Well, the clocks are crazy cheap now...$25 at most? but probably much less if you find a good deal. I could never compete with that, hence the reason for doing characters that don't exist as clocks.

Ballpark, basic bigifigure will probably start at ~$70 and go up depending on accessories/decals for the various characters. Probably maxing out at ~$110 for a character with helmet, backpack, weapon, and lots of decals.

Lightsaber (since it involves electrical parts and assembly) is probably going to ballpark ~$45 for a light-up version, or if you want a kit to DIY ~$25.

And, really the whole point to this project was to provide weapons/accessories to existing clocks, so those parts will probably be $10-$15. This is the wrong thread to get into the $ details, but you did ask. =)

I'll hopefully have a For Sale thread up in the next few weeks where it'll all be spelled out. Hope this post helps for now...

Got my helmet decals last night for the 501st, 212th, and Saleucami troopers! This is a good test to see how well these stick to slightly compound curved surfaces. I'll try to post pics of the other helmets in the next couple days.

Attachments

• 501st helmet 1.jpg
    501st helmet 1.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 164
  • 501st helmet 2.jpg
    501st helmet 2.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 173

These are awesome! Really outstanding job! Honestly if you didn't have other things in the photo for scale I wouldn't be able to tell they're not the standard minifigs

oliver -
thanks for the link - very cool stuff there! My bigifigure measures 8.8" from head to toe. Taller if you throw a helmet or backpack on. It would be a massive undertaking to redo all my parts at a slightly smaller scale. Sorry! Really, the motivator behind my work was to provide accessories for the clocks.

CT7567 -
Thank you! I will try to throw a penny into all my pics for frame of reference. =)

Below is a pic of my light-up lightsaber in a Vader clock, and my Snow Trooper next to him. Plus, I managed to try out all of my various clone trooper helmet decals over the weekend.

Attachments

• Vader and Snow Trooper.jpg
    Vader and Snow Trooper.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 237
  • clone helmets.jpg
    clone helmets.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 536
  • 501st clone - front.jpg
    501st clone - front.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 171
  • 501st clone - back.jpg
    501st clone - back.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 318
  • 212th helmet.jpg
    212th helmet.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Saleucami helmet.jpg
    Saleucami helmet.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 174

So i guess making these even larger is not something you´d be willing to do?

Wetwired: What size did you have in mind? And what characters/parts are you interested in? A large part of this effort is people's interest, so at this point, I'll entertain all options.

Dredgen: I'm almost done modeling the motorcycle helmet and visor. This is a good one to do, as it was used in TONS of space, castle, police, and scuba diver characters.

Attachments

• Motorcycle helmet.jpg
    Motorcycle helmet.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 97

I have a toystore over here in Sweden and it would be really nice to have a couple of large minifigs as a display. I'd really like them about three times larger. But that might be cost-prohibitive :)

Motorcycle helmet and visor are grown and I'll be prepping these to mold in the next week or so. Also, just finished modeling the classic shortsword and the knight's visor (one of my favorite Lego pieces) that can attach to the motorcycle helmet...so, I'll be branching out into that genre with more parts in the near future. =)

Attachments

• pointed visor.jpg
    pointed visor.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 186
  • shortsword.jpg
    shortsword.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 113

Don't forget the group of feathers that goes on top of the helmet. :)

Dredgen, do you mean these parts (see below)? The newer version of the space helmet w/ visor could also be a bike helmet, but maybe there's something else you're thinking of.
Yes that's the one! Sorry for the late response, thought I already replied. Guess I just hit preview instead of post.

Dredgen: I'm almost done modeling the motorcycle helmet and visor. This is a good one to do, as it was used in TONS of space, castle, police, and scuba diver characters.
Looking good! Yeah, it's a pretty versatile piece that LEGO keeps reusing for different characters.

Motorcycle helmet and visor are grown and I'll be prepping these to mold in the next week or so. Also, just finished modeling the classic shortsword and the knight's visor (one of my favorite Lego pieces) that can attach to the motorcycle helmet...so, I'll be branching out into that genre with more parts in the near future. =)
That looks fantastic and brings back a ton of memories.

Looks like I'll need to start stocking up on clocks in preparation of the for sale thread.

So, if you're thinking it might be easier to just go out and buy a clock for $20 and paint it up yourself vs. getting a cast Bigifigure for much more $$, then I think there's a way to do it.

I just played around with the Yoda clock we have, and the head is removable with a little bit of force (not THE force, btw). Because the neck is a little fatter than a normal neck, you'll have to make some minor modifications to get accessories (like airtanks) to fit. See below.

In the end, the neck is now a bit smaller than normal, so the airtanks or head will feel loose - you'd have to shim it out for a tighter fit.

Attachments

• clock2.JPG
    clock2.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 196
  • clock3.JPG
    clock3.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 147
  • clock4 copy.jpg
    clock4 copy.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 733
  • clock5.JPG
    clock5.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 203
  • clock6.JPG
    clock6.JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 187
  • clock 1 copy.jpg
    clock 1 copy.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 199
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back