Cry Baby, Cry

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by shortimer52, Jan 5, 2006.

1. shortimer52

shortimer52 Well-Known Member

I been thinking about doing a Cry Baby from Firefly, donÂ’t have any place to put it but it would be cool to have. Since I canÂ’t get any screen shots can someone help me out?
    It just looks like a 55gal drum to me with a few extras, but I canÂ’t make out the words on the drum. Looks like it says coffee under everything. Makes me wonder what size it is then. Is it a 55 gal drum or is it a high speed coffee can?

2. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

It's ben a while since I've watched that episode. I'll have to bust out the box set tonight and do some "research". However, I remember thinking that it was big too, 55-gallon-drum-ish.

If that is the correct size, I'm thinking a scale model (like a can of red beans, or think&chunky soup) would be a little more managable for workspace and display. However, don't let me talk you out of it. Go for the gusto.

3. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

I figure it has fuel and an engine in it, and a transponder, and some kind of computer for sending out the singals. Maybe even a "pulse beacon" ;)

So, 55 gallon drum sounds just about right. How about a scaled down version?

Njc----------------------------

4. WookieeGunner

WookieeGunner Well-Known Member

I would have to see it again, but I always assumed it was a coffe can like the big ones Maxwell House and Folgers sell coffee grounds in. As far as we know, all it needs is a transmitter and receiver. Just drop it off far enough out that no gravity wells will pull it in.

5. shortimer52

Well see the ones on Serenity had stuff like that. But Firefly just kind of floated around. I'll tackel this when I get back from BNOC

6. blubeetle3

blubeetle3 Well-Known Member

Doesn't the Crybaby have the Blue Sun logo underneath the duct tape?

7. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

Yes, yes it does.

8. shortimer52

See but if you freeze the pic, it has the logo but there is something else under all that as well.

EDIT

YUP sure dose say coffee on there at the bottom on the first shot
    and caffeine around the back side of it.
    Guess it would be a coffee can. Unless the crew really like their coffee and buys in bulk.

Still can someone get some screen shots. PLEASE :love

9. Endless Wonder

Endless Wonder Sr Member

Make your mother sigh...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. th0rn

th0rn New Member

Barely beat me. Hehe. PM sent anyway.

11. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  12. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

13. SWFreak

SWFreak Well-Known Member

LOL It's a coffe can. It always appered as a 55 Gal drum to me.

Too funny.

14. defyitall

defyitall Sr Member

Me too until I watched that episode a few times and realized it's not that big. It's actually kind of a bad move on the 3d FX artist's part to not show the scale. One of the tricky parts about doing space stuff.

15. Locke5

Locke5 New Member

I'm in the process of making one, actually, to be a pencil holder for my desk. Is it me or are the chinese symbols absent from the Blue Sun logo?

16. RogueSolo

RogueSolo Well-Known Member

I don't think it's that, I think it's been scaled properly. They just "zoomed in" tight to the can, so that way it filled up the frame. If they had shown it from far away in contrast with the moon/asteroid behind it, we wouldn't have been able to see it. I too thought it was as large as the transponders from Serenity until I watched the episode again, and realized that it was more so a coffee can than anything else.

17. shortimer52

Killer guys thanks..
    It well be a few weeks before I can get this going. But I think ill go with the coffee can idea. Saves lots of room.lol

18. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

Blue Sun has the word "coffee" under it, and the word "caffeine" is above the symbols on the other side.

19. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

20. shortimer52

So what do you guys thing thats across the middle? Duct Tape?