CROM!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Clutch, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Never thought I'd see this day. I am now the proud owner of #01 Atlantean, #01 Father, and #20 Atlantean of the 20th Anniversary Editions of the Swords of Conan by Albion.

Real swords through and through. You could cut a small tree in half with the Atlantean. However, they are still in the realm of fantasy as far as weight is concerned as they all weigh about 7 1/2 pounds each. I've read that even the heaviest combat swords were on average 3 or 4 pounds. The Father's sword is a real treat to hold! The leather grip is perfect!

This has also been a an eye-opener as to how these swords are manufactured. Now that I have two Atlanteans to compare, I've been able to tell that

1) The signatures on the certificates are all stamped except for Jody Samson's.
    2) There is nothing on the certificates to distinguish between the Atlantean & Father's.
    3) The #1 Atlantean has more 'robust' bronze components and wider runes on the ricasso although I think the #20 is a 'prettier' sword overall.
    4) The #1 is slightly longer, but this could be due to the fact that it is not sharpened and the #20 is.
    5) The edition numbers are stamped on opposite sides between the two swords. They are also the inverse of each other. The #1's writing is dark and the #20's writing is light.

Here are some quick handheld photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  2. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

GORGEOUS. :love

One day I hope to have the financial wherewithal to own an Albion Atlantean & Father sword. I've been following them since they were just concept drawings.

StevenRogers84 likes this.
  3. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

WOW... Beautiful pieces. :eek

4. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Where do you live again?. ;)

5. Wakal

Wakal Well-Known Member

Oh, so that is where Father's Sword number 01 went...I have number 02...

:)

Alex

6. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

WOW. Nice.

7. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Awesome. So is the number stamped on the left or right hand side of yours? :D

8. Benkenove

Benkenove Well-Known Member

I would kill for that ...

Amazing mate, and congratulations.....

The envy runs through my veins ... :mad:

9. Jeeves

Jeeves Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You KNOW I'm jealous. :) NICE COLLECTION. :)
    Raj

10. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

What a beautiful collection.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to buy the Atlantean and the Father's sword later this year. Fingers tightly crossed.

I'd also like the double snake dagger to display with them ...
    and the amulet ...

and the jade medallion ...

and ...

perhaps I should shut up and start saving. :lol

11. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Thanks everyone. These puppies will be handed down to my children and hopefully their children's children.

Kevin, I know what you mean about the amount of stuff there is to get. It seems like they've slowed down a lot, but at one time they were bragging about this list of stuff they were introducing in 'the coming months' :lol We can dream....

Subotai's Sword
    Valeria's Sword
    Conan's Helm (CTB, Battle of the Mounds)
    Subotai's Climbing Knives (CTB, Tower of Set scene)
    Conan's bronze axe (Battle of the Mounds)
    Fangs of the Serpent Dagger
    Conan's Dagger (CTB, Tower of Set scene)
    Atlantean King's helm (crypt scene)
    Atlantean Shield (crypt scene)
    Conan's Shield (Battle of the Mounds)
    "Mother's Sword" (Cimmerian village/beheading scene)
    Wheel of Pain Amulet (CTB and CTD versions)
    Conan´s Girdle/swordbelt (CTB and CTD versions)
    Conan's leather vambraces (CTB and CTD)
    Conan's Pitfighter weapons and armor (OMG.)
    Conan's Headband (CTB and CTD)
    Conan's Katana (from Khitan training scenes)
    Unique wooden display plaques, boxes and stands for each sword/dagger/helm
    Scabbards for each sword
    (oh, how I wish they'd do this.)
    other Hyborean Age products not from the films, but from REH's original stories
    (Howy's personal favorite: a shagreen hilted Western Broadsword with a shagreen scabbard)
    and signature Conan items from the art of Barry Windsor-Smith

12. DAVIDYR1

DAVIDYR1 Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Beautiful collection.
    Conan's Fathers sword and Vaders Light Saber were my 2 most desired props as a kid growing up loving these films.
    Love them...and I'm jealous I might add....:)

David

13. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

My best friend used to own the screen used fathersword, which albion used to produce these., nice swords :)

Marc

14. Wakal

Wakal Well-Known Member

I've been regularly pestering Howy for a bronze axe and matching shield...sigh...

Stamped number? No, my number (used to be) in bright bronze on the underside of the left horn (holding the blade tip down). It looked like it was made by a decal being applied, then the brass black antiquing, then the decal removed. Very classy, but as I display my sword tip down it annoyed me. So...I ran brass black over it and made the nomenclature just...go away...heh heh. Not like I'm ever going to sell the darn thing, after all.

My friend Dan kept threatening to steal my Father's Sword, so I bought him one of the $50 knock-offs floating around eBay. Those are actually a lot nicer than I expected. Well worth the fifty bucks for the prop guy on a budget :)

Alex

15. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Shizzle, I'm so hung up on the numbering on the Atlanteans, I didn't notice that you said FATHER'S sword. Doh. I need more coffee....

16. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Jeez. It's no good, I'm going to have to sell something. Anybody around here have any white slave trade contacts? ;)

17. Nial

Nial Active Member

Clutch i have said it before and i'll say it again WOW JUST WOW! It is the father's sword i really envy here as it'a always been my favorite of all time. Much as i love my Fable that albion is close to and over heaven.

18. Mechamaniac

Mechamaniac Sr Member

Re: CROM!

CROM..vhere is da vizard dat killed my muddah.... :lol

Beautiful. I have always loved the Father's sword.

19. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Thanks. Wish I could let everyone give it a good swing. I wish someone here had a Destroyer Atlantean they could post. The more I look at it, the more I like it. :)

Interceptor6 likes this.
  20. ThePhoenix

ThePhoenix Active Member

Always loved movie steel it started back in the 80's when i was a kid running around thinking I was Ninja lol . Parents did get me a wooden one back then . Those Conan swords do command a pretty penny just look at the work that goes into them. You really must know your swords there are so many versions of each one . Did yours come in wooden crates? Great collection :)

21. Nial

Nial Active Member

Clutch i'd be happy to just tough or hold one of those beauties let alone swing it. Personally i was never a fan of the Destroyer Atlantean. I think the extra length of blade and grip made it look awkward and weaker. I also disliked the way the blade flared wider at the upper end on the Langets. I wouldn't say no to one though.=D

22. ThePhoenix

ThePhoenix Active Member

So are these accurate to the ones in the films?

23. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

As accurate as you can possibly get as they were made in collaboration with the guy who made the swords for the movie. In fact, he personally sharpened the #20. They all came in a wooden crate with leather tie-downs.

24. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

wow, they're beautiful.
    I love my movie swords, too :D

25. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Four years ago, I followed Albion's advice and coated the bronze parts with future floor wax. Made it a little shiny but I was cool with that. Just got #1 out and it looks just like it did before. EXCEPT the areas where I must have missed. It has developed the greenish patina. Made me start thinking. What is more desirable? It would look like Milius' sword now if I had not waxed it. I had planned on removing the wax and re-applying at some point, but now I'm wondering if I should reapply or just let it age naturally...

Here are a few more pics. I figured out the length difference. The handle on the #1 is 3/4" longer than the #20! So many differences. I guess by 20 they had gotten in a groove because it is definitely a cleaner sword.

[​IMG]

Check out the differences in casting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Nial

Nial Active Member

Clutch you make me happier and adder with every post.Lol! No seriously i love looking at the pics and the differences. The actual guard looks a little wider on the 20 to me? Wasn't the Father's sword grip just a little shorter on the Albion compared to John's original?

Anyway i can see now that the 20 is cleaner but i still prefer the 1. I waxed my bronze parts with Renwax just once and very lightly but honestly wish i hadn't as i like the aged lok. I'd gently try and remove the wax and leave it to age. Could always keep 20 waxed?

27. Ingelrii

Ingelrii New Member

The Atlantean sword is one of the greatest collectible item that a movie fan could have, also because the movie (there's only one Conan movie) is perfect, and the sword is very well designed, it's my favorite.... After comes Excalibur, from Boorman's movie.

28. Nial

Nial Active Member

I always just preferred the Father's sword from Conan for it's look and all the culture put into it. But both sword are truly iconic works of art. The most iconic weapons in movies history i'd say.
    The Discerner Lindsey sword from Excalibur is also one of my faves.

29. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Quite a bit of culture in the Atlantean as well...

From Milius - "On the hilt, there's this volcano that represents the "end of Atlantean culture," and the two seadogs -- "dogs of the sea" -- that triumphed, because the volcano erupted, and the sea came in and it destroyed everything they had created. On the pommel, there's a funeral boat, and a piece of the rock of the original land that was Atlantis, and that piece of rock might even symbolize iron -- some sort of metal that enabled these people to make steel."

30. Nial

Nial Active Member

Oh sure i know Clutch not wanting to take anything away from the Atlantean at all but with the fathers it was based on the Cimmerian tribes as Milius stated them being like Laplanders where's the Atlantean as you quoted Milius was of another seperate and much older culture. I wonder if it had been the Father's sword that Conan/Arnold had used throughout the movie would it still be the Atlantean sword that is the most popular of the two?

Of the few people i have talked to and heard speak of both swords made by Albion most have said the Father's was the nicer sword to handle. What do you think?

31. IeatherfaceIX

IeatherfaceIX Active Member

3 masterpiece's there!! Congrats!

Michael

32. Ingelrii

Ingelrii New Member

We can understand each opinion

Some people think that the father sword is the legacy of the Conan's family, and issue from his "tribe", and they are right

Other think, like me, that the Atlantean sword is the weapon which he fought and got his revenge against Thulsa Doom, so it's the Conan's sword during all the movie.

Both are a good vision and I can understand it

33. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

If someone said you are going into battle, which sword do you want? I would pick the Atlantean. It just feels better to me. Here's a few more of father's including an angle you rarely see.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

34. cosmic_x

cosmic_x Well-Known Member

impressive collection, gratz, I can only dream about having all these three.

Do you know how tthese compare to the swords available in Europe from MARTO in Spain?

35. Ingelrii

Ingelrii New Member

Marto have a good price and seems very well

The top of the pommel is the worst part of the marto atlantean sword, but other parts are well done. The marto blade is note made with carbon steel, but with stainless steel

But now the runes are most beautiful than later Albion sword. Only earlier have a sand-blasted finition like clutch's

36. jimjimmyjones85

jimjimmyjones85 Active Member

What do these run and where is the best place to pursue one?

37. Nial

Nial Active Member

Clutch i'll take your word for it about the feel of them. Heck i'd be happy to take either into battle. But just looking at these pics :love(thank you btw,they helped make my christmas) i admit my pant feel a little moist.:lol

I may take pics of mine in similer positions just to compare. The artist JF who did mine did a pretty close job though. But i'd so love one as yours.:cry

38. Nial

Nial Active Member

Yeah the Marto ones were ok for budget though they had two types the standard and special edition that had real bronze fittings and copied wooden display crates like the Albions. But honestly neither were wholly accurate. I had a Marto Father's sword and the Elk skull and twin hoofs pommel i thought very unaccurate.

39. cosmic_x

cosmic_x Well-Known Member

Yes, maybe this is why they cost half the money, but its a good alternative for europeans like us, I doubt customs will allow an import from US and if so, the fees would increase significantly the price of the sword.

40. Nial

Nial Active Member

The whole maufacture of them is why they cost half the money, Most of the money in the standard edition Marto swords is due to the licence. They were not badly made though for a display sword. Mine never became loose around the fittings nor leather wrapped grip.

I am sure i/we could import them without must trouble but yes the cost in tax and importation fee's plus the postage would be huge. My custom Father's sword i imported from Australia and the tax was pretty hefty.

41. Nial

Nial Active Member

A while ago i said i would try and take some pics of my Fables father's sword to compare to Clutch's so here we go.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]