Covid19 and lockdown - Lets build a prop together! It's group build time!!!

I have to agree with Funky. It's a great idea, but I'm trying to catch up on a stack of prop kits and some of my original work. I also have a bunch of 3D modelling I want to do. Hearing Dune ideas does make me really happy though. I am obsessed with ALL the books.

Not only do they have to support the idea...

Its basically only for 3D printer owners then? :|

That was my idea, but it can change. I don't see this as a one-off exercise but a way to strengthen and support those of usee who share a common love of props during this time.

3D printing is a way to get parts to everyone who has access, but if you want to use paper, plastic or anything else, definitely suggest and we can explore the ide.

-Skyler101

I think it's a great idea! I would love to get in on this but I won't be home until June it looks like, but I really want to see where this goes! Goodluck!

Stay safe and we will be here when you get back home! :)

- Skyler101

I think it’s a great idea, however, I’m sure any RPF member worth his (or her) salt has a pile of unfinished projects sitting on their workbench. :p Personally, (and I went out and counted yesterday) I currently have 14 projects I need to finish. My point is, I’m using this time to finish my projects. If I were completely caught up, I’d be all over this.

I am also in the same boat, so maybe we can have a virtual "bring your own project" session where people can show what they are working on and share inspiration and tips?

-Skyler101

I have a weirding but Ive always wanted one of these -
View attachment 1277466

I like :)

I support this idea. And while i too have eleventy-billion half finished projects, i also like group builds/ competitions. And if folks wanna go the 3d printed route and dont have a printer, id be willing to print extras.

Cameron you say you have a wierding module?...

I support this idea. And while i too have eleventy-billion half finished projects, i also like group builds/ competitions. And if folks wanna go the 3d printed route and dont have a printer, id be willing to print extras.

Cameron you say you have a wierding module?...

Ya. I bought it in the junkyard. MMMMMUUUUUAAAAAAAADDDDDDEEEBBBBBB

thumbnail_20200215_120155.jpg

crane pic.jpg

Here's the crane....as implied or promised. :D

It's an origami crane, but it can be 3D printed.

Attachments

• Origami_crane_4.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 79
At this stage, it would probably be easier for an original paper prop build, that people could all help design a page or so, share, print out, and assemble, age to whichever person's preference etc. Handbook to the apocalypse or something hahah

I like the idea of something like this! Something similar to the grail diary (which has been "done" ). Can't think of one of the top of my head, I personally am putting together Steve Roger's file from Project Rebirth (specifically as seen in the folder from the pilot episode of Agent Carter.

Maybe someone has some suggestions with something similar! Also would be a great opportunity for those who don't know how to use a vector drawing program (Illustrator, GIMP, etc. to learn a new skill :)

I like the idea of something like this! Something similar to the grail diary (which has been "done" ). Can't think of one of the top of my head, I personally am putting together Steve Roger's file from Project Rebirth (specifically as seen in the folder from the pilot episode of Agent Carter.

Maybe someone has some suggestions with something similar! Also would be a great opportunity for those who don't know how to use a vector drawing program (Illustrator, GIMP, etc. to learn a new skill :)

Something like an original prop. Take a page out of Adam Savage's book (no pun intended). Create a brief of something that is pertinent to the situation we are in, a paper prop with a back story, that has some RPF theme, so no one can steal the items and sell for profit, as it's not something someone would want from a movie, but would have sentimental value to anyone of us RPF members. Someone wants to bind it… all cool, someone wants to staple the pages together, and in a file envelope, all cool etc. Everyone could create the container that they would prefer… hardback, soft back, metal sealed case etc, so everyone would have a different interpretation.

Example of a Project Brief:

The year is 2048. The world has reached a second pandemic after CoVid-19 from 2020, maybe a fictional infection with RPF in the title. RPF-48 or something, maybe RPF-48 is a clinical trial vaccine/treatment that has proven to help in some test cases and is continuing to be trialed. A file/folder for briefing the nation's leaders is assembled by the leading scientists / historians and expedited to each leader. The file compares previous models / historical data of infection rates, recovery rates, possible vaccines, chemical diagrams, recipes for hand sanitiser etc from historical forecast data/models etc. The Nation's Leader guidebook to Recovery or something.

Anyone want to expand on the brief, feel free. Maybe in a Section 1, Section 2, Forecast Models style (like a The Day after Tomorrow kinda style). Worst case scenario section, how to rebuild civilisation etc. I'm sure there are great writers here that could put a few hundred words on a page in a word document, compile them all in order into a downloadable PDF. Text doesn't have to be original, lift, mix, and match from maybe past guidebooks etc. And then people do their unique take on it.

Would be something cool to do, especially with all the imagery and graphs that are appearing online by publications - half the work is already done!

For those that like ageing props, the book doesn't have to be new. Maybe someone found the book/file in 3027, with 70 years of ageing. Everyone can have their fun. Maybe your great grandson finds it in an attic, containing map inserts to safe zones that his great grandfather had compiled, newspaper clippings etc, to make the prop distinctively unique to the RPF user's own taste, while also following the brief.

All we'd need to do is agree on a common font that would be used (I'm sure people here have great knowledge of fonts in manuals like this, and layout etc), and page size, be it a small handheld booklet format, or a large A4 style.

To be honest, I'd love to do this… just need to sort out this wisdom tooth abscess, and my enthusiasm will go from 60 - 300kph.

Last edited:
Odin82 I like this idea! Maybe we first split the book/file into sections first and then assign a page out of each section to a person or something along those lines. I guess we need to brainstorm the things you mentioned and get an idea of how many people are interested in contributing to this file. Raise your hands people!

I like the premise that the world survived COVID-19 and it brought people together to fight it, etc. And when this second pandemic strikes 30 years in the future, we are more prepared than ever, we have new technology, we've learned how to get the public to cooperate without widespread panic, etc. So maybe that type of information is in the book as well :unsure:. Just throwin ideas out there!

I think it would be fun to do. Some graphic designer does a front cover/ cover page logo (RPF inspired etc), maybe various countries' flags to hint that it's an international document etc . At the end we only need a couple of pages of content, and people can translate it to different languages, which would be a good filler, and add more authenticity. So in reality, we only need like 10 pages of content, 8 different languages, that's 80 pages for example. Throw in the diagrams, could fill a booklet/pamphlet/file pretty easily with a few of us.

10 pages with a few pages of diagrams X different languages by say someone that can translate it to their home language etc.

The pages would be the easier part, and then the binding/filing is the individual choice about how they'd want their own prop to look / what back story it has.

But maybe I'm overthinking.

I went ahead and whipped up a cover, let's see who else is inspired to add onto it. It's normal letter size, font is Times New Roman (the standard for legal documents). If you want to make any changes, feel free to share, the PDF is attached below.

COVID-19 Fictional Response Guide Cover.jpg

Attachments

• COVID-19 Fictional Response Guide Cover.pdf
    413.4 KB · Views: 77
I would love if over every page in the booklet could be written "secret" or "top secret" in like a translucet way so you can still read the information on the page. This could maybe give this whole thing a more official look.

I'm loving this idea!
Maybe we could shape the "story" in such a way that the content of the document focuses more on what makers have done to help control the outbreak. I mean more than the real situation is now. For example, rather than contain only predictions of pandemic growth and stats, it could be like a manual of how to assemble or build healthcare devices. Of course fictional devices, like a "Hand held respirator powered by a car battery" or something exaggerated like that. Because we could imagine that this document is written after the pandemic is under control like in world war z mixed with Cory Doctorow tech.
And then 3d printer owners could print the fictional devices, or paper prop builders would just put the document together. Then we don't have to all agree on one prop.

I'm loving this idea!
Maybe we could shape the "story" in such a way that the content of the document focuses more on what makers have done to help control the outbreak. I mean more than the real situation is now. For example, rather than contain only predictions of pandemic growth and stats, it could be like a manual of how to assemble or build healthcare devices. Of course fictional devices, like a "Hand held respirator powered by a car battery" or something exaggerated like that. Because we could imagine that this document is written after the pandemic is under control like in world war z mixed with Cory Doctorow tech.
And then 3d printer owners could print the fictional devices, or paper prop builders would just put the document together. Then we don't have to all agree on one prop.

Yea that's a great idea, definitely gives people more options!

So I thought while our enthusiasm was still high on this topic, I'd whip something up to serve as content for the document, if not an actual prop, so here it is. I came up with a device that supplies the user with highly oxygenated and filtered air, but is powered by CO2 canisters. It has two buttons that activate each cylinder. Note that the user does not breathe in CO2, it is just used to power the device. Who knows, maybe something like the Venturi effect would draw in outside air and accumulate oxygen... no idea.
I thought it could use a snorkeling mouthpiece to attach to the mouth of the user. Probably you would need nose clips or something. I don't know. Maybe you guys can develop the idea further. I've attached the pdf with the drawing below.
I'd love to hear your feedback.

1585507078636.png

Attachments

• assembly.PDF
    162.1 KB · Views: 90
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back