Costume swap

PlanoJedi

I'm not sure where this would go, so please move this if necessary.

Ok, I was thinking about this last Halloween while trying to decide on what I wanted to wear. You know how there are tons of places that do theatrical costume rentals? Well I had thought about asking is someone here if anyone had a costume I could rent/borrow that is better than the "off the shelf" stuff. So my thought is that many of us have older costumes we did that we still own that we never wear. While some are displayed, others are in a box in the garage or attic. While I don't want to own say, a Cap, I'd like to wear one just once, or an IronMan, Indy, or Spidey without going to the expense of creating a SA one.
I think it'd be great idea to be open to doing a "costume swap" during times like Halloween or conventions or whenever. Say, I'll loan you my TK for your Cap for a certain time, then return them. I'm sure there will be some you trust and some you don't. Still, that being said...what are your thoughts?

K

I think the idea is a great one but the only problem is the issue of trust, do you trust that someone will either return a costume or trade a costume for you to "rent" in return in good faith and what happens if they accidentally damage it? From or between long time or well known & trusted members here would, obviously, be no big deal, but what about people here who are relatively new or have long time lurkers with low post counts (like myself) who aren't as well known and thus not completely trusted?

Like I said in the beginning, I like the idea but there's definitely issues that would need to be worked out for it to work.

See, that's the only issue I see as well. I've met a fair number of board members and for the most part, they are trustworthy and I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought to swapping or even loaning a costume for the weekend to most of them. However, there is a big difference between "soft" items like clothing and something technical like a Proton Pack. Some items are just very easily broken. I loaned my TK armor twice and the first time it came back in batter shape. The borrower created labels identifying the pieces which was cool. The 2nd time the boots had a scuff on them, and the mag for the rifle had got knocked off. A little epoxy and all was well.

I don't know... I'd just like to find a more feasible way to enjoy more costuming options.

K

Yeah, but that would all depend on what you are trying to fit into. When going to the theater/costume supply house, you are bound by what sizes are available as well. I tried on a "generic" Bat cowl (maybe Rubies) and could not get my head into it. However, if you wanted to be a Ghostbuster, then the costume is not fitted and would work on a wide variety of people.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back