Costume Latching questions

PR85

Hey guys, I am in the middle of making a Master Chief Spartan Suit and I am unsure of my best option to latch the pieces together. For things such as the chest, forearm, shin, and other form fitting parts, I am going to have to cut the solid piece into at least two separate pieces in order to get it on. I need a latching system I can use that will be sturdy enough and also not compromise the look of the armor (preferable something easy to use). I've tried looking through some of the post and maybe I am looking in the wrong ones, but I can't find much useful information on this subject.

Any recommendations on what you guys use or what you would suggest for this?

Thus far I started with the pep files and printed them out on paper and have them coated in fiberglass and resin. However I will soon be making silicone molds so that I can pour them as a urethane plastic. So that is what they will be made of once I attach the latches/clasps.

I feel like there has got to be a better way than just clamps or straps. clamps wouldn't be bad for connecting, but being able to reach into the armor to unclamp then could be a potential pain in the buttox!

Ever consider magnets? Rare earth magnets are very strong.

^ What Cal Said. Just make several housing along the joining areas for rare earth magnets to live.

Or use luggage straps attach to the armor with matching pieces sewn onto a bodysuit underneath - My friend has a master chief outfit and it entirely attach via luggage straps - have a look at it here : Zerebin on deviantART

Ever consider magnets? Rare earth magnets are very strong.

Dude, I feel like I just had a "V8 Moment". That is genius! I think that sounds like a great way to go. I may pick up a few and try it out on one or two pieces to see how I like it, but I think that sounds like a great idea.

I have used neodymium magnets on all my costumes because Velcro wears out and gets lint stuck in it, and all sorts of crap. I have never had a problem but some people give me weird looks for some reason. I have my entire Boba armor attached with magnets as well. You can even use them for battery terminal connectors that do not slip, pretty handy. And there pretty cheap. rare earth magnets - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back