Costume armor making without fibreglass?

I guess pics would help. I was thinking about starting foam/pep builds. A lot of threads show how to make some pretty sturdy stuff. More intricate stuff seems a little harder to do though.

how do you vac form and what's abs?
Vacuuforming is best if you are going to make multiples. The starting cost of vacuuforming plastics is high, both in money and work.

ABS is a blend of plastics, and exists in many formulations. The main component is polystyrene (PS). Styrene and ABS plastics are the most common plastics for household items, computer equipment, etc. Also used in packaging, foamed up as Styrofoam etc.
In this case, we are talking about tough, slightly flexible sheets of plastic. The fact that it is slightly flexible makes it bend before it shatters.
It is easier to work with another styrene-based plastic called HiPS - High-Impact Polystyrene. It is also flexible and somewhat less tough, but can be worked in a smaller temperature range.
If your armour has a simple shape and has no compound curve, you could sometimes get away with just heating HiPS with a heat gun or in an oven and bend it by hand - but foamed plastic (Sintra, Worbla, Depron, Komacel etc.) is easier to heat and form by hand.

Why can't you use fibreglass? I get my fibreglass weave and epoxy from a boating supply store. Epoxy, while nasty, does not emit nasty fumes.
You could build with paper and reinforce with fibreglass.

Fibreglass is not too hard, however technique comes with practice like most things. Most hardware shops will have a fibreglass repair kit that has a sheet of wovenglass and resin for the $20-40 mark that you can have a go at. Find a supplier and it will save you mega bucks, I get two litres of resin with catalyst and 4 metres square matting for under $60 from a fibreglass supplier and it will do 90% of a armour suit.

If you like you can try my type of builds which are low buget Cardboard/papermache builds A recent on is my Alpnonse Armor from Full Metal fullmetal alchemist. IT very strong, cheap, and uses at best a few times you should be able to get from a hardwhare.
Strength wise, I have sat in them, dropped them, and while they might appear cracked, its only on the surface paint.
You can add layers of papermache both inside and out to further strenghten it, but you give up on the weight, so be sure you can handle it. Also consider sponge on parts that are against your body for comfort, as it will chaff against you which may make it uncomfortable after a while.

here is a link to my Cardboard Build
http://www.therpf.com/f24/alphonse-elric-armor-cardbord-build-wip-224311/

If you like you can try my type of builds which are low buget Cardboard/papermache builds A recent on is my Alpnonse Armor from Full Metal fullmetal alchemist. IT very strong, cheap, and uses at best a few times you should be able to get from a hardwhare.
Strength wise, I have sat in them, dropped them, and while they might appear cracked, its only on the surface paint.
You can add layers of papermache both inside and out to further strenghten it, but you give up on the weight, so be sure you can handle it. Also consider sponge on parts that are against your body for comfort, as it will chaff against you which may make it uncomfortable after a while.

here is a link to my Cardboard Build
http://www.therpf.com/f24/alphonse-elric-armor-cardbord-build-wip-224311/
i can try, also... nice to see you're belgian too ;)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back