Cosplaying American Soldiers

Jedifyfe

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just curious if you guys think it's in bad taste to Cosplay American Soldiers such as Chris Kyle. PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR POLITICAL OPINIONS.

As my understanding goes, very recent or current uniforms are not okay unless you have earned them in service. You would most likely be taken as a veteran. And it could be embarrassing to have people come up to shake your hand and thank you for a service you haven't rendered. I've used a WWII uniform, which is out of date, on many occasions and had this happen to me, and I would have to explain that I do not deserve their thanks since I haven't served in the military, but wear it as a reminder of the servicemen, and to honor my father, who had been in that war.

On the other hand, I have seen uniforms that could be taken as a recent or current uniform, but certain patches identify it as a costume from a particular fictional movie or television show, i.e. Stargate, are okay.

So I would guess recent or current uniforms with fictional patches are okay, these uniforms with actual non-fictional patches are not.

Last edited:
As a vet, I understand why vets consider using modern era uniforms as costumes to be in poor taste, given all the Stolen Valor cases there have been and the unspoken thought that those who wear it as a costume have not "earned" it. That said, I only find it offensive to dress in modern era uniforms if the person is making a conscious effort to make themselves out to be a member of the armed services. This does not include other people mistaking them for military, so long as they do not "run with it" and correct the misconception immediately. That said, there are very few instances where dressing as a modern soldier for a con would be relevant or the character recognized. In fact, outside of Chris Kyle, I can't really think of any that people would understand, and even then, I wouldn't do so out of respect for his memory.

Last edited:
Thanks for chiming in. I've watched many Stolen Valor videos on YouTube and it pisses me off. I understand that pretending to be a soldier and dressing in BDUs is completely out of the question. I was more curious about honoring the people of films such as Chris Kyle but I think you guys are right that it may be misconstrued as mocking or making light of his career/life. Thanks guys. And thank you to all who served.

To honor those that serve or have served is noble. But I wouldn't call it cosplay more like reenacting.
I doubt running around in tactical gear would result in a stolen valor moment... just some unwanted attention from the police/security even if all you were carrying was red gun.

I think the big issue is in if you try to pass yourself off as a soldier. Cosplay, costume, reenacting, tactical games, et cetera I would say are fine. Just leave off the american flag patch and nobody will question you about being a soldier. if they do ask tell them the truth, most will laugh or at least smile. In reality a cosplay for modern military wouldnt be much of a challenge just expensive.

I think the big issue is in if you try to pass yourself off as a soldier. Cosplay, costume, reenacting, tactical games, et cetera I would say are fine. Just leave off the american flag patch and nobody will question you about being a soldier. if they do ask tell them the truth, most will laugh or at least smile. In reality a cosplay for modern military wouldnt be much of a challenge just expensive.

That and the biggest stickler comes from people who wear the dress uniforms with the fruit salad they didn't earn. A large number of medals for someone relatively young, medals and ribbons out of order, and medals mixed with ribbons when they shouldn't be are the second biggest giveaway, only following someone's behavior (a decorated military member will not slouch, strut, or act in a way that would bring disgrace upon the uniform). The vast majority of Stolen Valor jerkwads tend to stick to the dress uniforms (Army and Marine seems to be a perennial favorites for emulation) as they are snazzier and will draw more attention with all the shiny bling.

The ACUs, BDUs, MCUs, or whatever each branch calls their camos nowadays are a different story. It's easier to do a uniform that way, but the tradeoff for Stolen Valor jerkwads is that they don't get to show off all the shiny medals they didn't earn.

Here's a thought, Jedifyfe... you could always do a Stolen Valor cosplay.

Just go all out. Have campaign ribbons from WWI to Afghanistan. Slap every single badge you can find on it, from USMC marksman to USAF pilot's wings to the SEAL trident. Put on a military police badge as well. Go absolutely bonkers and make it as obnoxious as possible. Give yourself the Navy Cross, the Silver Star, the Air Medal, and a dozen purple hearts.

Oh, and put on a potbelly suit and make sure the uniform doesn't fit properly as well as a ponytail hair extension. For extra fun, put in a giant fake bullring nose ring.

Here's a thought, Jedifyfe... you could always do a Stolen Valor cosplay..

LOL! I wouldn't want to mess with anything that may be misrepresented as making light of servicemen/women. My dad is a vet and I respect ALL that served/serve our country. My thoughts were mostly around Chris Kyle, since he is now a public figure in terms of his film. But I think the cons of potentially upsetting someone (however small) outweighs my need to dress as him.

@gunnerk19 LOL!!! Yes but Agent Orange DOES...
attachment.php

Attachments

• 936full-trading-places-screenshot.jpg
    936full-trading-places-screenshot.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 1,943
LOL! I wouldn't want to mess with anything that may be misrepresented as making light of servicemen/women.

It wouldn't be making light of the servicemen, in my opinion, as it would be so far past the point of ridiculousness as to be firmly in the realm of parody.

That idiot in the Air Force Uniform makes me want to haul off and slug him! If I came across him like that in public I would strip all that stuff off and kick him in the butt!:angry

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back