Corellian Jedi (WIP; Image Heavy)

andveryginger

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well, this is my first foray into one of my oldest fandoms -- Star Wars. The character idea stretches back to my old Star Wars Galaxies days, when I had a smuggler named Fionna. In the lore I developed, she started out life the straight and narrow (or at least the Corellian version, which can be questionable), eventually joining CorSec. Eventually, as the Empire grew in power and its influence spread, CorSec was pressured to harass her father, an outspoken businessman; her connection then had its own effect on her CorSec career. With nowhere left to go, and the family business floundering under Imperial pressure, she resigned CorSec and set about keeping the company afloat. In the end, she became more of an information broker (slicer) than a smuggler... until she stumbled on her own buried Force heritage.

After many years of mulling things over, I began the build process last year, purchasing the necessary bits and bobs to complete my first saber build, courtesy The Custom Saber Shop. Because I'd been filling my SW addiction by playing Old Republic, I chose a TOR-style saber, with an amber/yellow LED. The pre-wired components made it incredibly easy; all I had to solder was the switch, and fit it all into the hilt. At this point, I've skipped the sound board, but plan on upgrading when funds and time permit:

saber_wip.jpg

Right now, it kinda looks like a heavily modified LED flashlight. I'm planning on wrapping the grip with brown leather, not unlike the TOR-issue saber my toon has been carrying for a while now.

For the Jedi garb, I wanted to do something that paid homage to Fee's origins as a CorSec officer. It was a huge portion of her young(er) life, and taught her the skills she needed to survive in the gray areas of Imperial rule. The first (visual) exposure I had to CorSec uniforms was the X-Wing comics, where we saw the gray/khaki-black-and-orange oddities, seen here on Corran Horn and Iella Wessiri:

915161-corellian_security_force.jpg

In later books we learn, however, that Corellian Security colors were green and gray; and as a Corellian Jedi, Corran eventually adopted robes in varying shades of green. It took a while to figure out where I was going with it, but I finally decided (if I was really going to do this) to pull from various sources. It makes sense that my girl would incorporate things from across the board, as well as her old uniforms.

Drawing from the X-Wing comic, I decided to go with a light(ish) gray, double-breasted vest; green shirt; and dark gray pants with a black officer's belt. Like Han, she'd also pull in her former black uniform boots -- they're broken in, and they match the belt. I set about to find a pattern and fabric.

For the pattern, I went back a few years to my BSG days, and unearthed the same jacket pattern I'd based my BSG duty blues on: Butterick 4294.

B4294.jpg

Among many things, I'd added princess seams in the front, fitted darts in the back, and adjusted the sleeves for an appropriate cuff. Skipping the sleeves, I decided the adjustments would probably do pretty well for where I was going with this. I dragged out the old modified pattern and pulled together a muslin:

fee_muslin_test_rs.jpg

Once that was done, I decided it looked a little too... Luke in ROTJ. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not quite what I was going for, even if I was going for a non-traditional Jedi color scheme. I'm a girl...I wanted a little swish factor! So I added a skirt:

fee_muslin_rs.jpg

Then I played with the image in PaintShop, painting it gray:

fee_muslin_gray_rs.jpg

...at which point I decided it looked a little too, well, Imperial. So I played a bit more, and came up with a couple of options. In the first, I keep the green and gray color scheme, adding some green piping around the edges to help differentiate the tunic from the Imperial uniform. It also would bring it more in line with more of the available artwork for a CorSec Investigator (not necessarily canon):

213px-CorSec_investigator-SoF.jpg ---> to something like this, with a green shirt beneath the vest/tunic (pardon my sub-par PaintShop-fu): fee_muslin_green_rs.jpg

On the other hand, I could go in a completely different direction, maintaining the color scheme with a green (though the fabric I found is more teal) tunic and gray pants:

fee_muslin_teal_rs.jpg

I've already altered the collar a bit more to accommodate the wider opening in the comic-version uniform vest, and sharpened the front flaps to something only slightly softer than those of the CorSec Investigator. Unfortunately, I don't have an image of the alterations I made to the muslin before I broke it down and transferred everything to the pattern. Suffice to say that I'm now to the point where I have to decide and I'm really on the clock. DragonCon is fast approaching, and I'd like to have this ready to go as a more comfortable costuming option, given my other costume for the weekend is Sif. =)

I'm washing up all three fabrics -- dark green, gray, and teal(ish) -- and hoping to cut fabric tomorrow afternoon. Maybe I'll do both and have options...

And then, when I stopped looking, I found the perfect dark green linen -- on sale even!

fee_wip_pinned_rs.jpg

The pants are 90% completed, lacking only the hem, and I'd call the tunic about 70% -- still need to stitch down the collar, then add the skirt and finish the hems. Have to also remember to place an order for new cells for my saber... Nothing like the last-minute DragonCon rush!

So fun to watch someone create their own Jedi character. I love the earthiness of the green fabric you went with, I think it's gonna take you in much more Jedi-like direction than the grey would have. Will be interested to see how this turns out. :)

Thanks! This one has been brewing for a while; I'll be excited to see how it turns out as well!

In keeping with the CorSec theme, I did go with a pair of gray pants (that didn't get hemmed today -- meh); long sleeve gray undershirt; and will wear black boots to match my officers' belt. Hoping to get all the sewing done on this by Friday so I can shift my focus back entirely on to finishing my Sif build. Still wanted to get this one done for this year, though.

Last edited:
Love the thought and creativity you are putting into this. Looking forward to seeing it come together.

Does Fionna have a dog named Cake?

Love the thought and creativity you are putting into this. Looking forward to seeing it come together.

Does Fionna have a dog named Cake?

Thank you!

Hah! No dog; she figures the droids are trouble enough, and they don't require food and water! ;)

So I finished basic construction of both the tunic and the pants -- looking a bit rumpled here, on the hanger, after washing:

fee_completed_rs.jpg

Currently debating the application of 2d class bloodstripes, however.

fee_bloodstripes_wip_rs.jpg

Oh well. Don't have to decide today...

I love this so far, and the backstory was creative. I've made my own Corellian character but haven't decided whether or not he'd be military hero (making the bloodstripes a variable).

When do you think you'll finish the suit?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back