Cool StarTrek Sword of Kahless found by Alec Peters

I know the facts on this. Items were made for the special exhibit, not for the production. And Alec Peters, huh? He's too 'PT Barnum' for...... Not very impressed as others. Sorry, though. You mileage may vary.

Re: Cool Star Trek Sword of Kahless found by Alec Peters

I know the facts on this. Items were made for the special exhibit, not for the production. And Alec Peters, huh? He's too 'PT Barnum' for...... Not very impressed as others. Sorry, though. You mileage may vary.

I am a bit confused. The Kahless Sword that Alec said was hero is not? Not even used in the show?

Didn't Alec do his homework? An interview he did in Jan 2011 with Propblog Dan discussed his views on authentication and his experience with Star Trek and the auction business. Here are direct quotes of Alec Peters from the publicly available interview.

"So am I trying to ‘bring down’ my competition? Absolutely not. In fact, we don’t have any real competition. We do event auctions for Studios. No one else does that. Outside of our Star Trek auctions, which really are because of my experience there, we only want to work with studios where we know the stuff is real and we can do something special".

"I say the more info the better. The only issue I see is some blogs are simply PR machines and not consumer advocates. Many blogs don’t even do enough background to ensure the information they provide is accurate".

"Many blogs don’t even do enough background to ensure the information they provide is accurate -.....We need blogs to help make consumers smarter, which is what I have always tried to do with the Star Trek Prop, Costume, & Auction Blog. Education, reliable analysis, and always calling into question fake or fraudulent items".

" The biggest issue is the lack of provenance, and that goes hand-in-hand with the fraud issue. We are somehow expected to take someone’s word that an item is real when there is no proof offered, no history of the item or its ownership, and simply the statement, ‘trust us.’ I don’t think any prop or costume should be offered without some form of provenance along with an accurate and reliable COA."

"When needed, we work with the Propmaster or Costume Department to confirm screen use (or backup) along with independent confirmation through screen matching and verification through continuity books from the production. We use a matching holographic tagging system for all of our items. That is the level of detail our customers deserve and quite frankly we demand".

Why were none of Alec's or Propworx's level of detail applied when it came to the Sword of Kahless? With his stated experience concerning the Trek franchise how could he make such an amateur mistake about an important Star Trek prop?

Maybe Alec should re word the header of his blog----

"The Internet's premier source for information collecting Star Trek props and costumes".

Well, for what it's worth, all Alec had was a picture of a display that was meant to be showing a Klingon Throne (just happened to have the sword in front of it). It wasn't in his possession, and it isn't meant for sale either, CBS is keeping it. So there was no real reason to go into all kinds of researching detail... He just saw the sword, made a comment to someone at CBS who referred to it as a 'holy grail' (possibly because Alec has mentioned it before...) Even in the blog post the reference to the sword is just a side comment, the post was about the Throne that they are offering forsale.

All you have to do is look at the episode to know it's not the screen used one, but it's still a damn cool prop...

This has nothing to with Propworx, Dan or anything like that. It's was simply a cool picture of some Star Trek The Experience props (some of them are probably screen-used) on a _Star Trek_ blog (again, nothing to with auctions or anything related to Propworx). Is this really the first time you've seen someone make a mistake in a blog post?

Alec is fine... mistakes happen.

Like Rik said this was more about the throne then the Sword

I know him and from what little I have talked with him I know that he would have never listed in Auction that Batleth as the "Hero Sword of Kahless"

Seriously, I work with Alec everyday, and am heading the archive for the CBS project, and yes, he was working off the one photo, then when we found out was a replica made for the experience it was stated so, small mistake, why be judgmental about it? Whatever past issues are posted, he know's his stuff, and would never auction a replica as screen used.

@Woof

Seriously? You have 5 posts to date and you have only attacked people. Why don't you actualy contribute something to this hobby?

I am on vacation traveling and just read the information here along with the interview Alec Peters gave to the Prop Blog. What I got out of reading the article is Alec says he has set the standard for all aspects of this hobby. All woofpug did was to point out that he did not follow his own standards. At the time of this posting, nobody has taken the time to correct the Star Trek Blog. Somebody reading the blog without having knowledge of this RPF thread may believe that Kahless sword in the photo is the actual sword used in the episode.

I think this quote from Alec Peters says it best:

"Many blogs don’t even do enough background to ensure the information they provide is accurate -.....We need blogs to help make consumers smarter, which is what I have always tried to do with the Star Trek Prop, Costume, & Auction Blog. Education, reliable analysis, and always calling into question fake or fraudulent items".

The rpf members who posted here seemed to easily identify the sword as not hero from the photo. Just correct the blog post and make the consumer smarter.

Everybody here can agree on that, right?

James

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear you as far as Alec setting standerds for the hobby, well if every Businessman was put in front of a firing squad for using a little hyperbole no one would be left standing! :lol

I am on vacation traveling and just read the information here along with the interview Alec Peters gave to the Prop Blog. What I got out of reading the article is Alec says he has set the standard for all aspects of this hobby. All woofpug did was to point out that he did not follow his own standards. At the time of this posting, nobody has taken the time to correct the Star Trek Blog. Somebody reading the blog without having knowledge of this RPF thread may believe that Kahless sword in the photo is the actual sword used in the episode.

I think this quote from Alec Peters says it best:

The rpf members who posted here seemed to easily identify the sword as not hero from the photo. Just correct the blog post and make the consumer smarter.

Everybody here can agree on that, right?

James

Last edited by a moderator:
attachment.php

This one is currently at the St. Louis Science Center as part of a traveling Star Trek exhibit, and no the Klingon symbol wasn't cut out. It also appeared to be made of resin or fiberglass, as a couple of the pointy tips were broken off.

I just saw it this weekend.
(they don't allow photos)

they were very good about labeling props correctly, making sure that screen used were differentiated from replicas for the exhibit

Last edited:
What qualifies him as an "Expert"?

Nothing! End of. Don't you think it's a conflict of interests for someone to tell the powers that own the assets what to sell and what to keep in their archives when it's his 'company' that is selling the things he deems not good enough for them. Can't belive they are that stupid.

WTF are you talking about? Alec is not making the decision of what to sell from the archives, CBS is, Alec is in charge of archiving the assets, and whatever CBS doesent want to keep is being sold, the people who are in charge of the assets at CBS have been for years and know what is what, trust me, I'm archiving this stuff for them, how's that for a slap in the face.

Before you go off high fiveing yourself, you're really going to have a balanced view of things being employed by him and all:lol

I have personally handled several Authentic Series Used pieces from TOS and I still consider myself to be a novice in the hobby. I think the term "Expert" is thrown around and bestowed way too often in this hobby. It should be a title earned not given.

Before you go off high fiveing yourself, you're really going to have a balanced view of things being employed by him and all:lol

lol, Just stop posting please, your embarrassing yourself.

Im employed by CBS, maybe you should stop presuming things, just because you've read one thread here about the propblog you must know everything, chill for awhile, contribute to the board, look around, get a post count of higher than 5 and give it a couple years, then maybe you can be a ******* :)

I have been collecting Original props and costumes for years, probaley 10. I only joined the RPF when they had an exclusive screenused section, so who now is presuming things?. Post counts mean nothing little boy.

I too have been collecting props and costumes for over ten years as well, I own, have handled and have seen items you wouldent believe, my experience is not on the line, nor is yours, that is not a part of this debate. This discussion or dear I say argument is about the topic at hand, CBS star trek assets, which I have a personal stake in because it is my job.

It seems you have a personal vendeta against Alec Peters, as many do, nothing I say is going to change that, and frankly I don't care, I know all the stories, better than anyone else here. Every person that holds auctions in this hobby has at least 10 people standing behind them saying there wrong and waiting for a mistake to be said, did you like te profiles lost auction, talk about everything going wrong, I don't care about all that stuff, I'm just stating facts, CBS knows what there doing, items will go up for sale, and items will stay in archive. As for the sword, CBS has the original, that has been said after the mistake of the replica out there.

Your out to prove yourself and your points right, which in fact you have been proven wrong, so move along, this thread is off topic and these debates are tiring, what else would you like to say and be proven wrong?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back