Cool explosion effect I made

I see it and the opening theme from "Terminator 2" begins playing in my mind due to the visual this creates.

WOW! Very cool.

It wouldn't be too difficult to create one that you could leave on for extended periods. Just need an LED lamp instead or some kind of internal glass/plastic barrier to keep the cotton from getting too hot.

Great job. It's a really easy technique that's even been used in a classic movie. For Aliens, the big explosion of the atmosphere process was achieved in a similar manner.

Escape_in_Dropship.jpg

The clouds in the shot were actually made of cotton. The mushroom cloud itself was a 50-watt light bulb with cotton stuck on it, that was turn on bright and then dimmed down to simulate the explosion.

Theres another way to do it to. Thats a little stronger and you dont have to worry about it over heating.

Instead of just painting the poly fil. You mix some fiberglass resin put it in a disposable spray bottle. Wet the poly fil with the resin. It may take a few coats. Once its all dry you have a hard shell and can remove the poly fil and paint.

This is the same technique the studio used on the Halo believe commercial.

I see it and the opening theme from "Terminator 2" begins playing in my mind due to the visual this creates.

WOW! Very cool.

I was looking at the tutorial and all i could think of was that they look like something out of terminator or The Day After.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back