Congrats to Sideshow

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Gary Weaver II, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Gary Weaver II

Gary Weaver II Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I hope that Sideshow can now bring the Terminator License back into a positive light.

I may just have to buy something now...

-Gary

2. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Oh, man, my stomach is hurting from laughing so hard...

I feel so much better about my Sideshow Endoarm now...

This will be a day long remembered.

- Gabe

3. streetjudge79

streetjudge79 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

And what exactly is that supposed to mean?

4. Gary Weaver II

Not too much...

This is public information and can be confirmed by calling the Licensing Group directly. Infact they WANT people to contact them with relevent information...

5. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow. Might have to get Terminator stuff now that it's not tainted.

6. Gary Weaver II

I have no idea if any legal action is being taken or not, nor do I really care.

I'm just happy that the license is now in better hands.

-Gary

7. DrStranglove

DrStranglove Sr Member

For quite some time it was known by me and many others that Paul would send out replicas of the items he had a license to make at cut rate prices for "Special People." It was suspected that he did this to make more money and not give the cut to the owner of the CR for the items. Seems he went a bit too far and was actually making COA's for these and other items on the owners on letter head, i.e. The Licensing Group, which administers the Terminator License.

In fact, just this week Paul had an auction up for a original screen used Bajorian Phaser on Ebay. The St Louis Kid chimed in over at Prop Ed and pointed out that he made the thing. The prop was neighed original, nor was it screen used (duh). Paul even had the balls to offer a COA of sorts with it, though he called it something else.

Well, The Licensing Group eventually found out about it and fired his *. You can speak to them your self at 323 652 2700. Or email at tlgla@aol.com . I expect serious legal action to follow.

Link to Prop Ed discussion of the auction
    http://p212.ezboard.com/frpfotforumfrm13.s...picID=224.topic

Link to the now pulled auction
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Proper-Effects-Star-Tr...1QQcmdZViewItem

Link to PaulÂ’s site
    http://www.lucasfrancisstudios.com/cyberdy...e_replicas.html

{Edit: Spelling}

8. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Sr Member

That Paul Francis is finally getting called out for what he really is, and his cronies here on the RPF can stop trying to defend him and make him look like a victim.

9. Kal-L

Kal-L New Member

Did this person ever do business here?

How would you guys advise someone new to this board (though not to the hobby) about avoiding the ne'er do wells?

:)

-Dave

10. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Simple: when you have the faintest of doubts, ASK. :p PF was permanently banned over 2 years ago for being a general a$$hole, and his stench in the hobby was known to all. Everybody knows everybody here, and if a potential seller has sold here before, or privately to a member, people will be upfront and post their reviews of his character and business practices, or lack f both.

- Gabe

[Edited for baiting comment - RPF Staff]

11. propsculptor

propsculptor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Check the Banned list, also if you see an auction you want to bid on, post a note here asking if they are a worthy seller.That way you won't get taken by a scammer or a recaster.

12. Kal-L

Kal-L New Member

Understood....that seems simple enough.

And thank you. :)

13. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

To paraphrase the directions to Carnegie Hall, "Research. Research. Research."

Look around and see who's got pieces similar to what you're interested in. Ask them who they bought them from. Most of the folks here will be happy to point you towards artisans that have treated them well and to steer you away from folks that haven't.

Read all the other boards devoted to what you're looking for (SW, ST, BSG, T2, MMPR, Rocketeer, etc.). Many of them will have Good/Bad Vendor lists or threads dedicated to trustworthy sellers and ne'er-d-well's.

If you find something that you want, but don't recognize the vendor's name, PM a Mod or maybe another member whose opinion you respect based on their posts. They may know something that they can pass on - for good or bad - or at least be able to point you in the right direction.

This won't stop all the bad transactions, some historically good sellers turn into bad guys either intentionally or accidentally, but it will help minimize your risks.

14. DrStranglove

DrStranglove Sr Member

Seriously. I expect now there will be a lot of legal action based on what TLG thinks he may have sold and did not tell them about.

If it were me, I would subpoena his complete records for sales, all his personal and business financials, and info on his purchases of resin and other base products. Another way to do it would be to get his expenses on shipping. That would go a long way to telling you what he sent out vs. what he reported he shipped out.

Next I would get on the phone with any other group he does business for and let them know the score.

From what I gathered from my source a year or so ago when Paul and Rob were trying to come up with a way to sue me, the money could well be in the several $100,000 range. Remember this has been going on for quite some time now.

[Edited comments about Paul's wife - RPF Staff]

15. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

Very interesting news indeed.

16. synasp

synasp Sr Member

This thread has been made in very poor taste. :angry

Now for the obvioius:

Paul Francis is a banned member. Following precedent, banned members cannot defend themselves, therefore there should be no more discussion of Paul Francis.

Furthermore, there should be no discussion on potential legal problems regarding Paul Francis.

If anyone has a problem with this, please PM me.

I will look through the previous posts and see if anyone crossed the line. Hopefully there wont be any more gloating, making fun, insulting, and generally dissapointing behavior.

17. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

.....again, a prime example why a "Bad Vendor" list should be compiled and posted.....not neccessarily for this guy (don't know the story), but there are enough other guys to avoid that would warrant a list being started....

18. saxe coburg

saxe coburg Sr Member

What happend to the 2nd page of this thread???

19. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

Guys...

In the past when legal issues for members (or even banned members, as in this case) have come up, we've not allowed them on the board. Since this is directly affecting the prop community, I think it is fair game to bring it to the public's attention.

However, some very low-class comments have been made about PF's wife in this thread, and other baiting comments have been made toward current RPF members. Very bad form.

I've cut out a lot of the off-topic and off-color comments, and will leave the rest up to keep the community informed of the situation.

If you're going to post in this thread, please keep the comments on-topic regarding the impact to the hobby and the T2 license.

Lonnie
    RPF Staff

20. JP05

JP05 Well-Known Member

So why are there still posts here which mention potential legal problems?

21. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

Looks like David and I were "moderating" this thread at the same time. :unsure

Guys, please keep the comments on-topic. :thumbsup

Thanks,
    Lonnie

22. saxe coburg

saxe coburg Sr Member

Well since my post was removed for no reason here it is again. Where did this information come from, was it originally posted on another board?

23. synasp

synasp Sr Member

My bad, sorry. I equated the banned-member bashing and legal troubles together, which was the wrong call on my part.

Lonnie is right in that the potential legal issues are hobby-related and on topic with the main prop forum. With that in mind, as long as there are no more insults and off-topic remarks, the thread is fine.

24. JP05

JP05 Well-Known Member

But speculating on what may happen to someone..........I dont see how that is prop or hobby related.

25. darthgoat

darthgoat Well-Known Member

Because folks may be doing business with him.

Now that Sideshow has the license Paul is infringing upon that license and may very well be taken to task on it via legal channels.

One ought to be aware of this while dealing with him.

26. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I found your tone more disturbing than anything else in this thread. No need to scold the members like children. I found the subject matter of this post rather informative and important.

Rylo

27. Montagar

Montagar Legendary Member Community Staff

Pardon my confusion, but wasn't he making the EndoSkeleton for Sideshow? What is going to happen with that?

28. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

PF will have to return every single pattern, mold, and proprietary material related to T2 back to The Licensing Group, or transfer them directly to Sideshow, unless he executes a "duck, run, hide, and resurface" a-la Jim Latta and try to convert them through a new shell company.

- Gabe

29. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

Paul no longer has the license for Termiator?. Woohoo...

I can finally start buy stuff without worrying(too much) about supporting him. :D

Good things come to those who wait.

I wish no ill will on anyone... though Karma seems to have caught up...

30. Rogue Studios

Rogue Studios Well-Known Member

You folks are speculating way too much. Why not leave it to iron out because you are only fueling rumors hearsay which is really not productive or beneficial.

Lee

31. synasp

synasp Sr Member

I find your lack of faith disturbing. :lol kidding, kidding...

Seriously though, I'm not sure what tone you got from my post, but I think it was an appropriate response to 14 removed posts of insults and glee for another person's misfortune (deserved or not). The rest may be informative, yes.

Back on topic...

32. Rylo

You claimed the "Thread" had been started in very bad taste.

An unnecessary comment on your part.

I believe this thread was started with the intent of educating other collectors.

You labeled it a negative from the beginning, prior to most of the now removed comments.

If you'd like to continue this discussion with me please PM me. I see no reason to pull the thread off track any further.

33. synasp

synasp Sr Member

I agree with what Lee said. There's quite a lot of hearsay and speculation, both of which aren't productive to the actual state of the hobby, aka facts.

It's okay Rylo. If you want to talk in private, you can PM me directly instead of posting.

gw2tulsa may not have been involved in the insults, but starting this thread immediately passing judgment "congrats to sideshow" and "bring the Terminator License back into a positive light," then "the license is now in better hands" leads me to believe (this may be a stretch) he doesn't like PF, and did not intend to have this be an objective discussion on the state of the hobby and its future regarding Terminator props. In my humble opinion, he primed this thread, allowed it to ignite, and sat back for the show. He's a smart guy, and was not oblivious to its potential for mod-intervention.

But gw2tulsa didn't cross the line. He's okay in my book. For that, Gary, I do apologize for seemingly directing the majority blow onto you, but I intended that for those whose posts were removed prior to my post. Rylo, no posts have been removed after my post, so please do not distort the facts.

I don't. Complain to me via PM.

34. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Well-Known Member

Why does everyone hate Paul? Does he have a tainted past?

35. Gary Weaver II

Synasp

No hard feelings on this end. I wholeheartedly agree that some of the more low-brow comments were out of place. This was not meant for people to gloat. Although, I can totally appreciate some people's want and need to celebrate. In a way my post is one of those, but I meant nothing malicious in posting what I did.

My congratulations and appreciation towards Sideshow were genuinely heartfelt. TLG's actions are based on events that they felt were true - anyone who has been here as a member for the last 4-5 years can attest to the behavious and actions they mentioned. If no one believes the info I posted - they can contact TLG at the number posted above.

For reasons both personal and related to the hobby, myself and quite a few other collectors INTENTIONALLY did not purchase Terminator products while they were under Paul Francis's belt.

With this current turn of events, I personally no longer feel like I will be putting a portion of my hard earned money in his coffers and in turn perpetuate the cycle.

My new desire to purchase from Sideshow will now also benefit the RPF thanks to their association links available from the main page.

Now I just need them to release a T-800 Endoskull...

-Gary

36. DrStranglove

DrStranglove Sr Member

Yes. As this thread is not supposed to only be about him you can PM me for the details.

37. Rylo

:rolleyes

38. TheSt.LouisKid

TheSt.LouisKid Sr Member

39. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks like I can finally get in the Market for Terminator Props.

40. DrStranglove

DrStranglove Sr Member

Yea. Me too.

41. Vincent Manuel

Vincent Manuel New Member

wow this is interesting indeed... well i suspected things like this for over a year now... and only now is it proven

ah well win some lose some

42. streetjudge79

Nothing has been proven. Paul has not even had a chance to defend himself. This is all speculation which keeps growing to fact because somone made an accusation. There are many Paul Francis Headhunters here who will stop at nothing to bash him. You guys won't even allow him back to defend himself, how fair is that? Why don't we hear from him or from the person directly violated by Paul if there is even any truth to that? Heresay doesn't fly with me, it is never admitted in court, why do we admit it here?

43. Wolvster1

Wolvster1 Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

I'm still curious, WHERE did the cut and paste
    from the beginning of the thread come FROM ?

If there's some direct link to THAT it would
    help out ALLOT... :D

44. Darbycrash

Darbycrash Well-Known Member

Streetjudge Paul could easily post something up in the OT forum. However it is a fact that he indeed is no longer a license holder. That is not hearsay.

45. streetjudge79

I would really like to hear it from him directly as to why this happened. I'm not saying I don't believe anyone here, but I would like to see him explain this.

46. Gary Weaver II

Then send him and e-mail or have him post at the Off Topic Forum.

Paul is no longer a member here, I'd imagine it will stay that way for quite a long time.

If you don't believe the information then by all means contact TLG directly via the phone number openly posted above. THEY have the license and have requested any info relevant to their investigation. That being the case, I don't think they would have any qualms about answering and relevant questions you may have and/or simply confirming what I posted above.

As for a defense? I don't think one is even necessary. Powers far higher than you or I appear to have already made their decision to remove the licens from LFS and. I doubt a few protests on a message board will change their opinion.

-Gary

Oh, and I recieved the above information via e-mail... It was also confirmed via someone on another board directly calling TLG for the info.

47. Chris Martin

Chris Martin Well-Known Member

Ask yourself why is that? Can you not read in between the lines? There are a lot of highly respected contributors here who are offering the same opinions, not just ranting beserkers. However this is not the place to tell these stories anymore, for all sorts of complicated reasons which we won't go into now. Suffice to say, ask around. Having cool swag to offer doesn't automatically make you an angel, and that seems to be being reinforced officially by the whole thrust of this issue. As for the outcome, I offer no opinion whether he's guilty or innocent but I know where I'm placing my money. We'll have to wait and see.

48. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

What flabbergasts me is the fact that the moron used TLG COAs for Predator items, when any half-wit knows that the property belongs to Fox. TLG acts as the license administrator for French media conglomerate "Canal +" which owns the T2 rights, and handles licensing for Baywatch and other obscure properties. T2 is really the only "big ticket" item TLG works with, which explains why they're so protective of it.

I feel bad for TLG, because they had to go through this all before with Icons and Timeless Collectibles.

Talk about the Curse of the T-800. :lol

- Gabe

49. AnsonJames

AnsonJames Sr Member

At least Paul originally had a license - what about the other sellers that have been selling items here, on ebay and other forums that never had any license? It's ridculous having a pop at this particular person whan the majority of prop maker/sellers mentioned here and on other boards have never even attempted to pay for copyright fees.
    This hobby is based on the violation of copyright.
    Get real...

50. Chris Martin

Chris Martin Well-Known Member

Not for everything he sold and besides, infringing studio copyright is one thing but this is a completely different league. What we do here, in general terms, if it's in small quantities, is often passed off by the studio as normal fan activity. It's only when people really start taking liberties that the studios get rightfully upset. You don't get this sort of attention unless you've peed someone off big time and faking signatures and passing off product as something it isn't would pee me off if I was a business partner losing my cut or a paying customer. If he's guilty, he'll get a punishment that suits the crime and that's how it should be or you might just as well empty all the prisons tomorrow. If you knowingly play with fire, you can't complain if you get burnt and according to the statement issued, the accusation is that he knew exactly what he was doing. Originally having a licence (allegedly) is not a defence that will win such a case. However, as I said before, time will give us the answer.