COMPLETED- 2m tall LOTR Argonath polysculpt

Re: WIP- 2m tall LOTR Argonath polysculpt

Haha it is indeed.
I just finished putting together the armature for the poly, big thick sheets of poly will stuck around this to be sculpted.
535439_472865866099989_308158806_n.jpg

I should be starting one some actual sculpting in the next few days.

Not a lot of progress the last few days. Still waiting for the poly to arrive. I've been doing more texture tests and we finished our monster home made hot wire cutter that can cut 1200mm of poly. Ill get some pics of that up soon.
I did manage to get the block for the head cut out with some spare poly today.

You wouldn't mind giving instructions on how you made the hot wire cutter, would you? Also where did you get your, I assume, NiChrome wire?

Last edited:

If i find some time ill draw up some proper instructions and get some pictures.
But basically its a DC power supply like this one 60V 5A 5Amp 605D Pro Digital DC Power Supply Precision Variable Adjustable | eBay
We borrowed a theatre flat from our sets workshop to use as the table, then it was as simple to build an arm (we made ours just over 1200mm tall, the size of the largest poly blocks we ordered)
Then you just connect wires up to either end of the wire, with some bolts/screws securing everything, a few small holes for the wire to go through, then adjust the power settings till desired cutting temp is reached.

We did a few tweaks on ours, like putting an automatic tensioner on the top arm, which was just a spring and a bolt so that we wouldn't have to manually tension the NiChrome wire every few mins.

Wow, thanks! I've been looking for one to buy or at least instructions, and that power supply answers all the questions I had. Ive been looking at fixed watt outputs and fixed amps, but like I said, this would fix those troubles.

No Problem grapejuice.
It has begun! The room is currently full of poly, Ive started cutting out individual pieces to fit around my armature, pictures later tonight.
It's bigger than it looks...
150453_476884382364804_14311197_n.jpg

The big Obelisk isn't mine, but this is my workshops current hell.
208424_476884469031462_1683150138_n.jpg

Last edited:

It has finally begun.
602838_477813678938541_346164032_n.jpg

403630_477813665605209_1282915362_n.jpg

This is from today. Its hard knowing where to start. But once I've got a grip on that sculpting should be pretty straightforward.

Great work! LOTR is filmed in New-Zealand, but I don't know if the mountains behind the argonath are real or CGI in the movie...

I've been to the location. It's actually filmed in a wooded forest area, just north of Queenstown. Apart from the water its a complete CG environment.

Whatever it is I've decided it looks like a sandstone finish, so that's what I'm going for.

Awesome project. Can't wait to see how these turn out.

Made a lot of progress today!
486043_481827561870486_234833235_n.jpg

I also decided that the one off hand mould could work for the sword hand, and it did.
Other than that I got the sword all stuck on, some cleaning up around the sword arm, the details under the arm, and some more of the mountain (not pictured) done.

These photos are a few days old, I have top-coat on about 3/4 of the statue, and they eyes have been re-done with ping pong balls (exactly 10:1 the scale of the pins I used in the scale sculpt) and apoxie sculpt.
484323_576792595671772_774635633_n.jpg

206421_576792579005107_1085300024_n.jpg

Cant access the workshop over the easter weekend sadly, plus I have an essay to write. So the next update will be mid next week. By then hopefully it will be ready for painting.

Thanks guys :)

Top coating is almost done, ill try and get some pics up tomorrow.
Sanding and some touch ups on the top coat this week, hopefully painting will begin on friday.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back