Community Paintball Gun

deltabravo191

Hey all!

I am new to replica prop making but I am a maker at heart. I am accustomed to general woodworking, metal working, and electronics. I am looking for a bit of direction on this new project as plastics aren't my specialty.

I am looking to make a replica of the paintball guns used in community. After some research I have found they are Tippman TiPX. I can find these all over the internet but they will need a bit of work done. From what I can tell the prop department purchased a bunch, covered the main logo, then used a glossy paint to make them look a bit more toy like.

community 2.pngcommunity.pngcommunity paintball gun.jpg

My biggest question is, what type of paint should I use for this? I assume it will need scuffed up with some scuffing pads prior to painting, maybe even a primer?

I don't currently own the TiPX yet as I am researching. But I would be happy to open it up when I purchase it and try to find markings on the type of plastic used if that is important for paint selection.

Thank you for your time!
Dave

(Standard TiPX for reference)

TiPX.png

I would use a primer, and I would use krylon fusion spray paint since it's a polymer construction.

Tippmann does makes them in colors BTW. They are sold under a "less than lethal" Sabre branding for pepperballs.

I've seen orange and green versions in person.

YEAH they ain't cheap!!

I would use a primer, and I would use krylon fusion spray paint since it's a polymer construction.

Tippmann does makes them in colors BTW. They are sold under a "less than lethal" Sabre branding for pepperballs.

I've seen orange and green versions in person.

YEAH they ain't cheap!!
Oh my that is good information to have! I haven't been able to find any with real bright colors. I do see that saber has an orange one.

I will have to do some digging and see if they have the other colors. I'm thinking yellow or green.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back