Colony (TV series)

Lets not judge Carlton Cuse on LOST alone. He's been making TV for a long time, and he's a damn good writer.

I enjoyed the the pilot quite a bit.

Pilot felt like we were dropped into Season 3 of a show. No clue what was going on, no backstory given. Very awkward storytelling.
But, as they say... bad sci-fi is better than no sci-fi.

I'm giving this show one more episode before I quit. There's no explanation at all to set up what the heck is going on. Even a couple sentences at the beginning to explain when the aliens invaded would have worked.

Its a simple back story

Aliens invaded, kicked our ass.

Then we somehow negotiated a truce by letting them have what every they came for.

Iit would seem that humans are under the impression that they aliens will get enough of what they need and leave in the not too distant future.

My wife shared the view of needing more explanation. I didn't and teased her for it. I just don't need all the backstory immediately. It's all there really. Just bits and pieces.

Aliens invaded, probably 5 or more years ago by the pics on the fridge. Missing boy looks about 6 and dad says he would be 12 now. Aliens occupy major cities and segregate them. They solicit help from humans who are willing to collaborate. In time they build up a security force of collaborators. A resistance begins. Very Red Dawn substituting aliens for Russians.

The best part of Colony is seeing long-time RPF member, Ryan Condal's name so prominently displayed at the beginning of the show! Makes my heart happy to see the success he is creating for himself!

ryan-condal-colony.jpg

I'm giving this show one more episode before I quit. There's no explanation at all to set up what the heck is going on. Even a couple sentences at the beginning to explain when the aliens invaded would have worked.

Don't you think that is part of the build-up? I actually hope that they can sustain the excitement once we do know all that has happened.

I thought that name looked familiar. Very cool!

I didn't care much for the second episode of the show. As much as I enjoyed the pilot episode, is how much I didn't enjoy "Brave New World". The story just fell into TV cop show cliche territory that I sincerely hope we don't see again. I like Carl Weathers, and thought he did good.

And it also struck me as odd that at the end of the pilot, Katie seemed to be one of the core resistance members. Like she knew everyone in the garage, etc. In this episode she seemed very much not part of the core group of the resistance.

I know some times things change after a pilot is made and a show goes to series. There were some other things about episode 2 that didn't sit well.

I'm sticking with the show. I like the premise. I am not bothered by the lack of back story. I felt the world was presented pretty well overall in terms of "This is the situation our characters are in, this is what is at stake." The rest of the mystery of the aliens, the factory, what Proxy Snyder is really using Will for, all that feels like it's going to be dealt with.

Tonight's episode is called "98 seconds". Looking forward to it.

Don't you think that is part of the build-up? I actually hope that they can sustain the excitement once we do know all that has happened.

Well there's build up like not showing the aliens until further on, and then there's almost no explanation for what happened. We've gotten bits and pieces and that's it. It's like the Walking Dead season premiere where you didn't know WTH was going on until halfway through. I guess some people may like that kind of stuff, but it just makes me mad and quit watching.

Just thought I'd share some of the promotional work posted around online for the show. I really dig stuff like this. I'm a fan (in the artistic sense) of propaganda art from history.

redhat.pngdrone.pngcolony-poster-4.jpg

As am I. I've been hoping we'd see some of their cool posters in higher res, but not much luck so far. 900 pixels tall is not suitable for hanging on the wall :(

-MJ

The show is intriguing but if the aliens made the government hunt down anyone with military or law enforcement experience and (I’m assuming) killed them, how do they have these Homeland thugs helping them now? Why don’t the Homeland people have any better weapons than the insurgency?
The Factory. I’m not sure I get this, it looks like a not-subtle-at-all reference to the gas chambers in the Holocaust. Are the aliens just dumping the stiffs, using them for something else, or storing them for food (as in the old ‘V’ series)? It’d be hilarious if later on, it’s discovered that the aliens are in fact the Visitors from that series!
Make me wonder how long it’ll be before we start seeing replica patches for the homeland people and red covers for helmets. I bet this’ll be a popular uniform to re-create at cons eventually.

I've done some work on replicating the patches. Not finished. There appear to be two different Homeland Security patches. IDK why.

The red and black striped patch they wear looks like the Army's 3rd Infantry Division unit patch, just different colors.

I don't see how the premise can go anywhere. This is what happens when you paint yourself into a corner with your premise.
Just like Zombie movies and shows, there's really only one way this can go. They've already shown a society that even Hitler would think, "Man, they're really repressing their people" which doesn't leave much room to believe anything is going to change. The only way this premise would allow for a shift would be if the aliens left. And even then, I think it's the humans doing stuff to each other now, more so than the aliens at this point.
At some point, you're left wondering, "where is this concept going to go?"

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back