Cloud Atlas Sextet Vinyl Record

Upgrade

I have always liked the book and it was a thrill to hear the "Cloud Atlas Sextet" come to life in the movie.

I was fortunate enough to obtain a copy of the actual record. Apparently it was limited to 1000 copies, similar to the book's reference of only five hundred recordings pressed in Holland.

zd298aK.jpg

The use of the "Meronyn" record label vs. Meronym was a nice touch.

However there are some slight differences between the commercial copy and the one from the film.

I haven't been able to find any photographs of the prop record.

The best glimpse we have is during the scene in the record store.

Meronymrecord.JPG

The recording information appears to be different with "SIDE 1" and "CWA" appearing in a larger font. The catalog number appears to be on the bottom of the label.
JHcgjsO.png
NEnsysu.png
Hdx0Gn4.png

The top half of the record label appears to be close enough.

The bottom half I can barely make out as:

SIDE 1 CWA
Robert Frobisher
[Followed by three lines]
[Catalog Number]

Some comments on the record itself

• The edges of the label suggest that someone made a paper label and glued it on rather than it actually being pressed and melded into the the vinyl surface.
  • Several tracks can be seen on the record, yet the label only lists the symphony. A typical LP side can hold up to 20-30 minutes of music, but the soundtrack version clocks in at 4:57. Additional movements perhaps?
  • The book mentions that the pressings were made in Holland before the war. Assuming that it was World War II and Robert Frobisher lived in the 30s, a 78 rpm shellac record would have been more appropriate. However, the record store clerk also explains that the dealer has a copy of an acetate recording from a French outfit that folded in the 50s so a vinyl record could be conceivable.

So here is the commercial version.
sweFkHQ.jpg

tnmZfXt.jpg

Next comes the record sleeve. The commercial version has two sleeves: a larger outer sleeve with one hole and an inner one with two holes. Both are made from a kind of stiff glossy paper.

59QxKGR.png
pNSo8Lq.jpg
Here the sleeve varies greatly. It appears to be made out of a floppier kraft-paper material. The back has some additional recording information and the front's text and font are different.

The commercial version.

KgQQQrD.jpg

BGJsfu2.jpg

Aside from the top graphic, neither matches well with the film's.

Notes on the record sleeve
  • A paper record sleeve with view holes wouldn't do well to help preserve a record described as in "the mintest condition". Especially without the usual cardboard jacket. The use of only the paper sleeve is more typical with 78s.

I have attempted to make a screen-accurate mockup of the label and sleeve with the closest-matching font. The bottom logo had to be enlarged and I made approximations of the names.

26T4Mwe.jpg

The back is giving me all sorts of trouble since I can't discern anything other than the title and arrangement of the blocks of text. The screen version has a lot more wear on the blue clouds and the paper is clearly not stiff and glossy like the commercial version.

Does anyone have any clearer images of the prop record and sleeve?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any clearer images of the prop record or sleeve, but I did want to say how freaking awesome it is that you're trying to reproduce this.

Very cool. I didn't know they made a vinyl. Any idea where I might go search for one?
I managed to get it off of German Amazon for about $40 back in 2012 with shipping from Europe to the US.

It seems that it has drastically risen in price however.

They may pop up on eBay, but there's one on discogs right now.

I went searching for some background on this vinyl and came across this forum. I consider myself lucky enough to own a copy of this, I had no idea how rare it was! I have it framed and hanging on my wall, now I feel like I need to digitize it and seal it in a fireproof case. The recordings on it are truly beautiful (have it playing on my record player right now). This is a dramatically underrated score and this vinyl is probably amongst the favorites in my collection.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back