Cleaning smelly urethane costume

mrclaybo

Does anyone know the best way to clean a costume like Batman. The urethane rubber is starting to smell. I've tried hand cleaning and using fabreeze. but it really does not help. Just wondering if anyone has a trick besides "Onions and Peaches" sorry for the "Holes" ref....lol

I think that the only way is to let it "off gas" and the smell will reduce over time. Preferably away from your wife's nose. ;)

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD

Hi. I'm a noob but I have worked with and maintained years-old urethane rubber and latex rubber costume appliances. Yes, urethane rubber will stink especially when it starts to degrade due to bacterial growth. That's what you usually get when someone's sweat takes too long to evaporate and bacteria begin to grow. To stifle bacterial blooms, I find a good airing is a necessary first step. A mild disinfectant is okay as long as it doesn't contribute more moisture. To be sure, a thorough blow-drying may be required, followed by a spray paint coating (if this an option) to seal the rubber or foam cells from more moisture. Of course, this also seals in any of the original smells, effectively getting rid of most of it. I've used an acrylic or latex water-based paint to do this. If you wish to find out if a spirits-based paint will do, you may want to test it on a small inconspicuous portion of the costume. I find rubber takes paint well as long as paint used is quite flexible and not prone to cracking or peeling. Good luck!

Ah yes. For B.O mild soap and water will work. I never tried Armor All but I can see how that would work. When I read your first post I thought you meant the smell of freshly casted urethane.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back