Clay amount Help!!!

wayzata

This is more of a Cosplay via Clay post. I Apologize first if I posted in the wrong section. Hi I'm new to these forums and I normally work with eva foam but I wanted to go a different approach to cosplay I've seen many create full body casts and put oil based clays onto them to sculpt their desired armor. For example my first question is are oil based clays are reusable if I continuously want to use them to make sculpt different armors. 2nd how much clay in lbs would I need to sculpt lets say dark knights upper body neck to waist area I would be factoring the fact I will be using a manequin base etc.

Oil based clay doesn't dry out over time. So you don't have to worry about keeping it wet, and wrapped up with anything wet.

For an entire upper body. I would say you need 50 pounds of clay.
When I sculpt helmets on dummy heads they end up being Over 10 pounds.
So if that is just for a head then the entire upper body must use even more.

Hmm... Maybe 50 is estimating a bit low... :confused

Well oil clays for years cost about $2 a pound (usually in 2lb blocks). The last few years the cost has basically doubled. If you're on a budget and use water clay (MUCH cheaper)you just need to cover it with two or more layers of plastic sheeting between sculpting sessions. Water clay is also re-usable. I keep mine in a bucket with a little water in it and a tight sealing lid on top.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back