Cinderella's Glass Slipper - Disney's Cinderella (1950)

KOMakesThings

p_20210116_113605.jpg

Here's a pretty quick and easy prop build, though by build I mostly mean "I made a cushion" as the star player in this build (The glass slipper) was a lucky eBay find.

This prop was one that I've wanted to make for a while, I had seen a life-size glass slipper paperweight in a thrift store ages ago and passed it up, which was a huge mistake because it's been kinda hard to track down a similar slipper. There's a lot of small glass paper weights, some plastic party decorations, and some licensed (and expensive) replicas put out by Disney, but none ever struck my fancy.

Then on a random eBay search I found this. This is a Bohemia crystal glass slipper, apparently originating from Czechoslovakia. I unfortunately don't know much else beyond that, but the shape of it was lovely and so I bought it and it thankfully arrived to me in once piece. All I ended up doing was using a bit of mod podge to stick a glass cabochon heart onto the top of the shoe. The mod podge is by no means permanent, but I'd rather have to glue it back on every so often than risk marring the glass.

sm_20210109_131757.jpg

p_20210109_134209.jpg

After that it was a simple matter of ordering some velvet to make the cushion. I used two different colours of velvet to try and mimic the look of the cushion in the movie. Then I just stuffed the velvet with some 3 inch thick upholstery foam, and sewed on a cord and some tassels.

p_20210116_115503.jpg

p_20210109_134158.jpg

The cushion from the movie is way more domed and floppy, but I wanted mine flat and sturdy to make sure my glass slipper didn't take a header into the floor.

cinderella-disneyscreencaps.com-7614.jpg

And with that, this easy project was done! This was super satisfying to put together, minimal effort for a really nice display piece.

p_20210116_113527.jpg
pp_20210116_114207.jpg

pp_20210116_114432.jpg

Last edited:
Ha thanks! It's definitely pretty basic compared to a lot of other sewing projects but I'm glad I went through the effort of making it, it compliments the glass slipper really well.
Yeah it does. Good work there.

I would really like to do the cut crystal version from the live action remake. Don't know why, it just stuck with me.

Yeah it does. Good work there.

I would really like to do the cut crystal version from the live action remake. Don't know why, it just stuck with me.

The crystal version is really nice, the iridescent quality of the crystal glass really adds that extra bit of magic to them. From what I've seen online there was an official Disney replica of the live action slipper that was released in 2015, but it seems like it was a pretty limited edition run of 500 slippers.

If you ever do attempt the crystal version this might help, I found this article that shows a few of the early mock-ups of the glass slipper, as well as some nice detail shots of the butterfly on the shoe.

Attachments

• 900w-600h_05_WDA_Cinderella_LA_GlassSlipper_04.jpg
    900w-600h_05_WDA_Cinderella_LA_GlassSlipper_04.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 900w-600h_06_WDA_Cinderella_LA_GlassSlipper_05.jpg
    900w-600h_06_WDA_Cinderella_LA_GlassSlipper_05.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 143
  • 900w-600h_07_WDA_Cinderella_2015_Glass_Slipper-4_003.jpg
    900w-600h_07_WDA_Cinderella_2015_Glass_Slipper-4_003.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 239
  • 900w-600h_08_WDA_Cinderella_2015_Glass_Slipper-4_024.jpg
    900w-600h_08_WDA_Cinderella_2015_Glass_Slipper-4_024.jpg
    477.9 KB · Views: 102
You make this look so easy! Great little pillow! :lol:

Ha ha, thanks! What with the typical nonsense I'm used to sewing making a little square pillow case was pretty relaxing. Of course, now I have all of this extra velvet that I have no idea what to do with. I'll have to think of some other props to use it on.

I’m considering making one for my wife, just need to figure out all the pieces now, lol.
What size glass cabochon heart did you use. I see 12mm, 16mm, 18mm, 25mm and 30mm.
I went with 35mm for mine, so 30mm will probably be close enough!

Good luck making one yourself! The "hard" part will just be tracking down a similar glass slipper. I believe when I found mine the keywords that helped the most were "Bohemia glass slipper" or "Crystal glass slipper" if that's of any help.

If you're interested I got my velvet from Ralston Fabrics on Etsy, in the Navy Blue and Purple. I imagine you might be able to find a source a bit closer to home, I've been doing the majority of my shopping online thanks to Covid so Etsy is what worked for me. My cushion was 11 by 12 inches, filled with the 3 inch upholstery foam square that was cut to 8 by 9 inches.

I went with 35mm for mine, so 30mm will probably be close enough!

Good luck making one yourself! The "hard" part will just be tracking down a similar glass slipper. I believe when I found mine the keywords that helped the most were "Bohemia glass slipper" or "Crystal glass slipper" if that's of any help.

If you're interested I got my velvet from Ralston Fabrics on Etsy, in the Navy Blue and Purple. I imagine you might be able to find a source a bit closer to home, I've been doing the majority of my shopping online thanks to Covid so Etsy is what worked for me. My cushion was 11 by 12 inches, filled with the 3 inch upholstery foam square that was cut to 8 by 9 inches.
Thanks, I’ll look for a 35mm heart.
I already picked up the slipper, just waiting for it to ship this week. I picked it up on eBay for $20.
2391AD85-3737-49E7-AC18-9857DF8AB74B.jpeg
EDE3B7C9-B8BA-4FB6-B1FE-AEF4168D6DBC.jpeg

Thanks, I’ll look for a 35mm heart.
I already picked up the slipper, just waiting for it to ship this week. I picked it up on eBay for $20.

Ah that's awesome! That looks to be the exact one that I used, judging by the sticker. I'm glad you were able to nab one, not only is it a great match to the one from the film but it's just got a nice shape to it over all. I feel like a lot of the other crystal glass slippers out there don't really pass for a 'real' shoe. Definitely post a picture once you've got yours all assembled, your wife is gonna love it I'm sure!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back