Chronicles of Riddick C-19 Undercutter Build

Blitzkreig

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Plan.jpg

Thought I would share my journey scratch building a 24th scale Flattery C-19 Undercutter. Also known as Toombs Merc ship from the movie Chronicles of Riddick. As far as I know there wasn’t a physical filming model built for the movie other than a preproduction mockup. Doing some research, I’ve noticed differences on the ship from scene to scene. Many effects houses worked on the film, and it seems they added their own touch to the look of the ship within the scenes they created. The most detailed and best-looking version of the ship (I believe) is at the beginning of the movie with the hunt for Riddick on the Ice Planet UV6 (shots below). If I heard correctly the Vfx for this segment of the movie was completed by ILM.

Hover.jpg

Bank.jpg

Search.png

merc ship mock up.jpg
Preproduction mockup.

My intention is to build the main ship structure from 3mm High Impact Polystyrene (HIPS). As well as other pieces of styrene and kit parts. I’ve drawn up some quick and dirty plans and built a rough mockup out of Bluecore foam to check the general shape and scale (image below). The scale is more eyeball then scientific. I’m using a partially painted 1/24th scale F1/Y-Wing pilot figure to gauge the size. Total length should be about 20 inches.

20220823_201805.jpg

20220823_195844.jpg

Next, I made up a couple patterns and cut out the upper and lower wings with the scroll saw. Used a file and a metal ruler to smooth out the shape. If you have never formed styrene with the edge of a metal ruler, please give it a try. It just carves and shapes the plastic with ease. I'll try to get some more posted soon.

20210805_112234.jpg

20210805_113026.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Lamby. Spent a couple hours carving and sanding some molds out of some scarp wood. These I used to Vacuform the main body and cockpit. Below are some photos of my rudimentary Vacuum former, the molds and the finished formed pieces.

Vacuformer.jpg

Molds.jpg

Body Casts.jpg

For the body I made a main form and a shell. The shell creates a trim piece around the side of the ship. You can see this piece in the image below.

Side trim.jpg

Cockpit.jpg

The cockpit was 3 pieces, the body base, the canopy and a piece to use for the window shield plates. Building this canopy (shown below) should be fun.

cockpit1.jpg

Making progress. More to come.

Last edited:
Thanks, HMR. You gotta love working with Syrene.

Continuing on the underside. I started roughing in the panel lines and cut out openings for the Bay doors and the Hover engines.

Something different on this craft that we don't usually see are lots of triangular access panels.

Hatch.jpg

Last edited:
Great choice... Not a design you see much.

Certainly not easy to get good references for this one.

The proces looks fun tho, thank you for sharing.

Larsen you hit it on the nose. I really like the look of the ship. But ya it's always fun to build something uncommon. Reference is very tough on this. I have captured probably 200 or more screen shots. And I'm going cross eyed after staring at motion blurred images for so long. I am enjoying the build. Thanks

Last edited:
I actually used this design as reference for a design for a contest on scifi-meshes way back...

On a side note, I won that contest.

I didn't reference it precisely tho... But I do remember it been hard to find images of it.

I'll be following along. Keep it up.

I actually used this design as reference for a design for a contest on scifi-meshes way back...

On a side note, I won that contest.

I didn't reference it precisely tho... But I do remember it been hard to find images of it.

I'll be following along. Keep it up.
Very cool. Congrats on the contest. I'd be interested to see your design.

Decided to work on the front mandibles for a bit. Roughed out and trimmed up the holes. Then inserted the pieces for the inclined plane.

Moved on to the cut outs for the vent holes below the front vanes.

There will be allot of clean up and sanding of excess glue later. I tend to work a little messy and clean up later on.

Shes coming along.

mandibles1.jpg
mandibles2.jpg
mandibles3.jpg
mandibles4.jpg
mandibles5.jpg

Last edited:
Difficult subject, interesting building methods - i'm into this kind of stuff :love:

The Riddick Universe is very strange and inconsistent regarding aesthetics and technology level - some is great, some is meh.
this is one of the better examples (although it looks more like a flyer/shuttle than a spaceship capable of interplanetary travel)

This and a couple of other Delta Quadrant ships

A similar Design originated in the seaQuest DSV episode "The Sincerest Form of Flattery", was heavily reused in ST Voyager and others and this ship is called "Flattery C-19" - :unsure: Coincidence?

A similar Design originated in the seaQuest DSV episode "The Sincerest Form of Flattery", was heavily reused in ST Voyager and others and this ship is called "Flattery C-19" - :unsure: Coincidence?

Funny you should mention SQ... I was thinking the same thing.

So... Star Trek, Riddick and Sea Quest are technically the universe?...

Lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back