Chell 2.0

thepaisleyfox

Figured it was best to make my own thread rather than try to hijack someone else's.

Making a new Chell costume for the upcoming con season, and while the nuances of the jumpsuit are easily settled, I may need some help with other parts.

First off, no time to make a gun this season. Instead, for the sake of time, sanity and materials, I'll be focusing on one of the 50's cubes:

608px-Portal2_40sStorageCube.png

I would like to make it light enough to not kill me walking through the con, so I was thinking a light cube frame with maybe something along the lines of basswood on top? Thoughts?

I was also planning on perhaps going nuts with some of the repulsion gel from the game, but I was wondering what kind of input I could get about making it a proper texture. It tends to have these dried bubbles/craters on the surface, which reminds me a lot of shaken latex paint. Do y'all think that could work? Friends of mine were toying with getting a metric ton of puff t-shirt paint to shake and do it, but there has got to be a better way.

(Quick reference here to see what I mean about texture: Gel!)

Lastly would be the boots. Oh lordy, those boots. I just got my hands on some great bases, and I figure I have a good grasp on how I'll get them covered and get those strapped on, but I still haven't figured out a good way to get the heel actually attached to the boot itself. The material that makes up the height of the boot is kind of a PVC sort of material, and I do need to cover it, but what can I put on them to make them sturdy enough that the heel won't just rip right through the boot? Did I doom myself? I might not actually be able to put any weight on the heel spring, but I'd at least like it to stand up for some amount of time.

For the box you could use sheets of foam core and either paint it or use those rolls of drawer liner paper in a wood pattern.

How accurate are you going on the outfit?

It has a lot of details the first game didn't have like stripes all around the legs and down the front and back of the shirt.

Here's a link to all 4 sides viewed with both old and new outfit.

Oh wow, that's a huge help, thanks!

And fairly accurate, I'd say. At least as accurate as I can get. By stripes, do you mean the seams? As far as the tank is concerned, I have the one from the Valve store. I also have the blue sports bra and the bike-shorts-thing that looks like goes on top of the tank. I even have that almost maternity pants band from ribbed cotton I'll be putting for the top of the shorts.

I did notice a huge difference in jumpsuits, and had no plans of wearing my first one from 2008 again, so I have re-bought the orange denim and off white twill to line the inside of the jumpsuit and do some trim, as well as getting my hands on some tough orange micro suede for the knees. I guess there's no tons of piping I have to deal with this time around, though. ;)

Odd that the part wrapped around the waist showing extra patches doesn't match what's in game or any pix I have found.
It does however ad more detail.
Missing the bandage on the right wrist.

Could be an earlier design.

Yeah, her tank is also wrong in that picture (no logo, only words.)

Well, as far as the texture/stripes on her tank goes, nah, I think I'll pass. Like I mentioned, I have the one from the Valve store, so I'm just going with that. I never noticed any lines on her shirt in game or with any other photos until yours, division. Ah well.

Thanks guys, you've been fantastic help so far.

Odd that the part wrapped around the waist showing extra patches doesn't match what's in game or any pix I have found.
It does however ad more detail.
Missing the bandage on the right wrist.

Could be an earlier design.

it does match what is in the game actually. I'm the one who gave yodajammies that shot. that model is ripped from the game files, so it's accurate

the textures might be mapped to the wrong areas though in that shot.. hard to tell

it does match what is in the game actually. I'm the one who gave yodajammies that shot. that model is ripped from the game files, so it's accurate

the textures might be mapped to the wrong areas though in that shot.. hard to tell

Are you sure? Because the way the shirt part of the suit is wrapped around her waist, it doesn't make any sense.

Here's something I've taken in game from the first level:

chell2_big.jpg

It definitely looks closer to the other model posted. Yours very well could be an earlier game model, as division suggested.

Jeff having looked at actual screen caps including my own, your details are incorrect on all points mentioned.

notice this screen cap from someone that substituted Chell for Atlas in the COOP game.
5677574285_dfdd45df78_z.jpg

Last edited:
Excuse the awful lighting and a cellphone picture, our living room has a single lamp and the TV for light. I promise it's not as neon as it looks in these, I'll try to get better pictures of it tomorrow when the sun is out. I'll make sure it drapes correctly then, too. I still have some hand sewing left to do down the front of the coveralls, as well as putting in the zipper. I do have seams running either side of the knee patches, as well as up the back of my leg.

Now to get to those boots...

chell1.jpg

chell2-1.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back