Cheers bar to go on display

Very cool. If you ever fly into Christchurch New Zealand there is a Cheers bar in the Airport you can drink at. Sadly it's mostly Cheers by name only but there are a few cool details.

Very cool. If you ever fly into Christchurch New Zealand there is a Cheers bar in the Airport you can drink at. Sadly it's mostly Cheers by name only but there are a few cool details.

They have one of those in the Atlanta airport here in the states.

I vaguely remember hearing it was some kind of franchise. That would explain it being a token effort. I'm surprised no one has done the real deal before.

I recall going to the actual bar that was used to film the outside shots back in the late 80's while on vacation with the family.
It was so different than on TV, I kept wondering why they didn't remodel it to be 100% screen accurate. That would have been a huge success for them and it would have brought people from all over just to get a drink at the Cheers from TV :)

I'm sure they could have cared less about that, that bar was very successful

I kept wondering why they didn't remodel it to be 100% screen accurate. That would have been a huge success for them and it would have brought people from all over just to get a drink at the Cheers from TV :)

Yeah for sure. Sad to see opportunities missed like that. When I first when onto a studio set was a very strange experience. They always feel so weird only being half there. :lol

There's a Cheers bar in Boston, which claims up and down to be the original, despite not resembling the bar from the show in the least- they do have a gift shop that is vaguely inspired by the show.

There's a Cheers bar in Boston, which claims up and down to be the original, despite not resembling the bar from the show in the least- they do have a gift shop that is vaguely inspired by the show.

That might be the one I was at. It was the "original" as it was used as the inspiration for the show and it was filmed for the street views of the sign and the stairs leading down to the bar. As far as inside it was not based on the show.

That might be the one I was at. It was the "original" as it was used as the inspiration for the show and it was filmed for the street views of the sign and the stairs leading down to the bar. As far as inside it was not based on the show.

I think the one used for exteriors was called the Bull and Finch.

I think the one used for exteriors was called the Bull and Finch.

I believe this is correct- it was named that until some time in the relatively recent past, when it was renamed Cheers. The replica is at Faneuil Hall. Apparently it's licensed by CBS, which makes sense but is somewhat surprising given the mediocre at best effort they put into reproducing it.

I believe this is correct- it was named that until some time in the relatively recent past, when it was renamed Cheers. The replica is at Faneuil Hall. Apparently it's licensed by CBS, which makes sense but is somewhat surprising given the mediocre at best effort they put into reproducing it.

It is indeed correct. I myself have been to The Bull and Finch and it is excellent. It was renamed Cheers Beacon Hill. Good food and a good memory here as I went there back in the day when Cheers was on TV and a hit show. It was still Bull and Finch back then.

We went to both locations in October. The Faneuil hall one was pretty much Cheers in name only, although the staff were really friendly. The one with the exterior location was great, a real shame though that they couldn't have had a walk-down into a screen-accurate bar.

I recall going to the actual bar that was used to film the outside shots back in the late 80's while on vacation with the family.
It was so different than on TV, I kept wondering why they didn't remodel it to be 100% screen accurate. That would have been a huge success for them and it would have brought people from all over just to get a drink at the Cheers from TV :)

They have a replica Cheers about a 15min walk from the original location, in Faneuil Hall

The Boston ones are some of our biggest tourist traps. I've lived here for 38 years and just went into the Bull and Finch for the first time this summer, when taking some Californian friends on a tour of Boston.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back