Cheap ideas for mcu spiderman faceshell

Frogfreak

Sr Member
Obviously the title says it all. I was working on an mcu Spider-Man faceshell for someone and I had started with cardboard the used Bondo then I sanded the heck outta that thing and as I was getting close to finishing it, ...I dropped it and it cracked. So I need help figuring out a cheap and much faster alternative.

Last edited:
I'm making a mask for a guy with a head circumference of 23.5 inches. I don't think that it would fit.
Well, then this a great "life lesson" moment. You said you would make one for a specific head size. You dropped it. Now you have to either go back and fix it or make another. You are using the cheapest method out there. You just have to put in the time to fix your oops. We have all been there and done that. The real makers have encountered many setbacks and dove back in to make something awesome. Here is your chance to make good on your promise and create the faceshell for your client/friend. So roll up your sleeves and make another!

Yeah, the bondo learning curve kinda sucks. Try and use a little less hardener and make small batches to cover maybe a third of the shell at a time. Keep your layers thin (about 1/8 of an inch to start and then getting thinner). Move to glazing putty when the shape is right and you are just filling small imperfections. It is much easier to sand.

Will you be using the bondo shell as the actual faceshell? I can't see that as being light/comfortable to wear - or are you intending on using it as a master to cast/vacuform the final shell?

You could try and make a faceshell out of foam and go that method with plastidipping the shell when done.
I'm wanting to make it pretty sturdy but also flexible. your idea isn't bad but I've heard plastidip is easily removable and has a rubbery feel. I want something that will stay together and have a smoother surface.

I'm wanting to make it pretty sturdy but also flexible. your idea isn't bad but I've heard plastidip is easily removable and has a rubbery feel. I want something that will stay together and have a smoother surface.
Okay the other solution I can think of would be to 3D print a shell if you have access to one say at a library or know somebody. Yeah it kind of has a rubbery feel although that feeling is great for keeping masks in place, I can't speak to the easily removable part as I've only used it on one project and it seems to stick just fine, however, it has been a low use project.

Not really all that hard but can get expensive depending on how you go about doing it - making your own rig or buying a unit - plus the costs for your materials. keep in mind you need need to make your master vacuform buck as well

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back