Chappie Resource Thread

Mike J.

Master Member
Today marks T minus two weeks until the North American release of Neil Blomkamp's "CHAPPiE!"

In commemoration of this momentous occasion, I've recreated the TETRAVAAL logo, and made some fun wallpapers for everyone to enjoy.

It doesn't look like we get any fun fictional guns this time around. For the time being I'll refer you to the IMFDb: http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Chappie

Side note: the IMFDb is currently missing the only unusual gun in the flick: the South African Denel PAW-20 "Neopup."

http://world.guns.ru/grenade/safr/paw-20-neopup-e.html

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Denel_PAW-20

Attachments

• BKG1.jpg
    BKG1.jpg
    776.2 KB · Views: 397
  • BKG2-A.jpg
    BKG2-A.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 289
  • BKG2.jpg
    BKG2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 300
  • BKG3.jpg
    BKG3.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 282
  • BKG4.jpg
    BKG4.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 309
This is Hugh Jackman's watch. I don't know what it is – maybe YOU can unravel the mystery!

Attachments

• Jackman Watch.jpg
    Jackman Watch.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 286
Hugh Jackman's Watch ID'ed

It's a Casio ProTrek Triple Sensor Tough Solar Low Temperature Ana-Digi Wrist Watch module 5213 (PRG550B-5/black/camouflage). Nice looking watch.

Attachments

• CASIO ProTrek Triple Sensor Tough Solar Low Temperature Ana-Digi Wrist Watch module 5213 (PRG550.jpg
    CASIO ProTrek Triple Sensor Tough Solar Low Temperature Ana-Digi Wrist Watch module 5213 (PRG550.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 158
Side note: the IMFDb is currently missing the only unusual gun in the flick: the South African Denel PAW-20 "Neopup."

A bit awkward if you're left handed...

Great thread. I saw the physical Chappie work at Weta workshop a couple of months back. Looks terrific...

This is Dev Patel's watch. It appears to be the Casio Data Bank DBC-32-1A.

Attachments

• Dev's Watch.jpg
    Dev's Watch.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 217
  • DBC-32-1A_l.jpg
    DBC-32-1A_l.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 242
This is on Hugh Jackman's desk, and despite the slight discrepancy in name, I think it is meant to imply that he was in the SAS. If so, this suggests that he is a British national and not an American, Australian or South African.

Attachments

• SAS-Certificate.jpg
    SAS-Certificate.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 322
Eagle-eyed viewers will also note that almost everybody is sporting a custom "Tetravaal" lanyard and two-sided ID card. Dev Patel carries his ID card on a retractable thingy on his waist, I think.

Attachments

• Transvaal-Visitors-Pass.jpg
    Transvaal-Visitors-Pass.jpg
    830.8 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
The South African Police have an unusual shoulder patch methodology: The shoulder patch itself has a long slot in the top, which lets it thread onto the epaulette, and then simply hang from the outermost edge of the top of the shoulder. These patches are also usually navy and royal blue with gold details and lettering, and of a uniform shape, a sort of elongated shield or inverted gothic arch.

Why am I mentioning this? The Tetravaal Scouts (including Chappie) seem to wear a variation of this type of patch on their chest. The patch reads "RSAP" and says in English and Afrikaans "Police Robot Assistant." Below the text section is a heraldic shield design.

Attached is a real police patch, and the patch found on the Scouts.

Attachments

• 4333072624_35f642bcef_o.jpg
    4333072624_35f642bcef_o.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 278
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 216
Additionally, the Scouts seem to have a modified version of the patch as a decal on their left (viewer's right) upper arm. This decal only has the initials RSAP and the crest. You can also see this decal (in color) on the police helicopter.

Doing a little digging, the heraldic crest looks like a modification of the Gauteng Province's coat-of-arms. Gauteng is where Johannesburg is. And Pretoria.

The policemen wear a similar RSAP shoulder patch, and have similar badges. They even have embroidered baseball caps.

Anyway, all that said, I have recreated the various police patches. Here are some desktop backgrounds to baffle your coworkers and family with. :)

-MJ

Attachments

• shot0001.jpg
    shot0001.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 266
  • shot0002.jpg
    shot0002.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 216
  • Screen Shot 2015-02-21.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-21.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 2,408
  • patch-2.jpg
    patch-2.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 227
  • BKG8.jpg
    BKG8.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 215
  • BKG7.jpg
    BKG7.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 221
  • BKG6.jpg
    BKG6.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 231
  • BKG5.jpg
    BKG5.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 230
T minus 8 days!

Did a little more playing around with backgrounds today.

Attachments

• BKG5.jpg
    BKG5.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 216
  • BKG9.jpg
    BKG9.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 209
  • BKG8.jpg
    BKG8.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 284
  • BKG4-A.jpg
    BKG4-A.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 218
Good information in this thread. I just ordered one of these watches for $25. The other one was around $300 so I think I'll let that one pass. :)

Nice research MikeJ you're on the money with most of the real-world observations.

The Police patches (and the SA Army) which are not embroidered are made of a kind of plastic and the details are extruded from the surface.
The finish is not shiny plastic its dull and they button into the epaulette..

Looking forward to seeing more progress here..

Regards
MARK

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back