Chappie Resource Thread

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Mike J.

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Today marks T minus two weeks until the North American release of Neil Blomkamp's "CHAPPiE!"

In commemoration of this momentous occasion, I've recreated the TETRAVAAL logo, and made some fun wallpapers for everyone to enjoy.

It doesn't look like we get any fun fictional guns this time around. For the time being I'll refer you to the IMFDb: http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Chappie

Side note: the IMFDb is currently missing the only unusual gun in the flick: the South African Denel PAW-20 "Neopup."

http://world.guns.ru/grenade/safr/paw-20-neopup-e.html

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Denel_PAW-20

Attachments

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

KramStaar

Sr Member
Side note: the IMFDb is currently missing the only unusual gun in the flick: the South African Denel PAW-20 "Neopup."
A bit awkward if you're left handed...

Great thread. I saw the physical Chappie work at Weta workshop a couple of months back. Looks terrific...

Mike J.

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is on Hugh Jackman's desk, and despite the slight discrepancy in name, I think it is meant to imply that he was in the SAS. If so, this suggests that he is a British national and not an American, Australian or South African.

Attachments

Mike J.

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Eagle-eyed viewers will also note that almost everybody is sporting a custom "Tetravaal" lanyard and two-sided ID card. Dev Patel carries his ID card on a retractable thingy on his waist, I think.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike J.

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This Russian site seems to have some Chappie stills we don't have in the west.... They're small, but they're better than nothing, I suppose:

http://www.kinopoisk.ru/film/591485/stills/

In other news, we have Sigourney Weaver's character's first name: Michelle.

Any bets as to who the brief nudity is going to be?

Mike J.

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The South African Police have an unusual shoulder patch methodology: The shoulder patch itself has a long slot in the top, which lets it thread onto the epaulette, and then simply hang from the outermost edge of the top of the shoulder. These patches are also usually navy and royal blue with gold details and lettering, and of a uniform shape, a sort of elongated shield or inverted gothic arch.

Why am I mentioning this? The Tetravaal Scouts (including Chappie) seem to wear a variation of this type of patch on their chest. The patch reads "RSAP" and says in English and Afrikaans "Police Robot Assistant." Below the text section is a heraldic shield design.

Attached is a real police patch, and the patch found on the Scouts.

Attachments

Mike J.

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Additionally, the Scouts seem to have a modified version of the patch as a decal on their left (viewer's right) upper arm. This decal only has the initials RSAP and the crest. You can also see this decal (in color) on the police helicopter.

Doing a little digging, the heraldic crest looks like a modification of the Gauteng Province's coat-of-arms. Gauteng is where Johannesburg is. And Pretoria.

The policemen wear a similar RSAP shoulder patch, and have similar badges. They even have embroidered baseball caps.

Anyway, all that said, I have recreated the various police patches. Here are some desktop backgrounds to baffle your coworkers and family with. :)

-MJ

Attachments

Daniel Nelms

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Good information in this thread. I just ordered one of these watches for $25. The other one was around $300 so I think I'll let that one pass. :)

KramStaar

Sr Member
Nice research MikeJ you're on the money with most of the real-world observations.

The Police patches (and the SA Army) which are not embroidered are made of a kind of plastic and the details are extruded from the surface.
The finish is not shiny plastic its dull and they button into the epaulette..

Looking forward to seeing more progress here..

Regards
MARK