Chapek out, Iger in

Riceball

Master Member
The news just broke that Bob Chapek is stepping down as the CEO of the Walt Disney Company and the former CEO, Bog Iger, is stepping in in his place. This changeover is effective immediately but Iger will only be heading up the company for 2 years. More details in the article linked below as well as with your favorite Disney YouTubers like FreshBaked and Provost Park Pass.

The theory that KK LFL tenure is up when Indy 5 has run its course is looking more a thing now. It takes about two years to get a big budget film on track. Could Star Wars be back on track under new LFL leadership within that two year span? Time will tell.

Sounds a little like what happened at my work....with the "retired" owner who has less than 2 years til hes bought out by an ESOP and it becomes employee owned. But he was not liking how things were going, so he fired our Vice President who was really running the place...but he begged to stay, so hes now being moved to another position, which in turn moves a lot of other people around.
And then, the store manager they hired about a month ago was messing with a bunch of the girls, verbal and even touching their legs, but in a way that was a bit too personal....yeah, he totally got fired.
This all happened over 2 days....we said the bucket of drama exploded over the company, but thankfully, we aren't anywhere near the size of Disney, or in entertainment.
Hopefully a lot of the bad decisions made at Disney lately will either be undone, or made better.

Long overdue—I said as early as June his contract wouldn’t get picked up in February and was mocked for it. We can only hope that Iger brings back fiscal (and creative) sanity to the mouse. Chapek’s tenure has been an unmitigated disaster. Any CEO who presides over a collapse in stock value of 50% should be shown the door, and pronto.

The theory that KK LFL tenure is up when Indy 5 has run its course is looking more a thing now. It takes about two years to get a big budget film on track. Could Star Wars be back on track under new LFL leadership within that two year span? Time will tell.
From your mouth (er, keyboard) to God’s ears!

The news just broke that Bob Chapek is stepping down as the CEO of the Walt Disney Company and the former CEO, Bog Iger, is stepping in in his place. This changeover is effective immediately but Iger will only be heading up the company for 2 years. More details in the article linked below as well as with your favorite Disney YouTubers like FreshBaked and Provost Park Pass.

I bet Clownfish will have something to say as well…

Well, there's something that people need to remember: Iger was the one in charge when Star Wars started going off the track. Now, I'm not saying that things aren't going to change, but I honestly suspect that it won't. The best option is to be hopeful, but cautious.

I kinda doubt any changes will be made as far as LFL, Marvel, or any of the content producing arms of Disney. This is more about revenue loss and changes made at the parks. People expecting Iger to shake things up are probably going to be disappointed.

I kinda doubt any changes will be made as far as LFL, Marvel, or any of the content producing arms of Disney. This is more about revenue loss and changes made at the parks. People expecting Iger to shake things up are probably going to be disappointed.

Yeah, I seem to recall that Iger was CEO when a lot of very unpopular creative decisions were made, specifically in regards to the Star Wars franchise.

Long overdue—I said as early as June his contract wouldn’t get picked up in February and was mocked for it. We can only hope that Iger brings back fiscal (and creative) sanity to the mouse. Chapek’s tenure has been an unmitigated disaster. Any CEO who presides over a collapse in stock value of 50% should be shown the door, and pronto.
Yeah...and without a nice $$$$ package. :rolleyes: But that never happens :whistle:(n)

Chapek definitely stepped down pretty quickly once the decision was made. It's not often that this kind of news gets released at 7PM on a Sunday night.

Here's a Provost Parkpass video with his top 3 predictions on what's going to happen under Iger. Since Chris at PP is primarily a theme park vlogger, his video does focus mainly on what the thinks is going to happen in the park and he doesn't go into the movie and streaming side of Disney.

If Drinker is even half right here, then 1) I’ve been deeply unfair to Bob Chapek out of ignorance of Iger’s misdeeds, and 2) the mouse is doomed.

Yet another loud, self-victimizing YouTuber with an over-the-top persona screaming about the “woke”. Reality is, Iger’s awful, and Chapek was awful too. They’re middle-manager types that climbed a corporate ladder, threw out any creatives from the top ten or fifteen rungs from the company, and leaned as a hard as possible into the “business” side of the business/art dichotomy of filmmaking. The only reason people like them champion diversity and representation is as a shield against criticism. Diversity, allowing underrepresented demographics to tell their own stories, and fairness are good things, but Disney has weaponized them, churning out mediocre content they don’t have to put much effort into, and if you don’t like it you’re a bigot. If anything, what Disney’s done is far, far worse—they’ve convinced a lot of people that it’s acceptable to be a troll, to be racist and sexist through their lackluster, halfhearted attempts at inclusion in entertainment media.

Under Iger’s tenure, we’ve seen
- the death of the entire 2D animation industry as a whole, so much so that Mary Poppins Returns required 2D animators to come out of retirement to work on the animated sequences
- Disney breaking numerous antitrust laws (that are ignored thanks to lobbying and donations) through purchasing Lucasfilm, Pixar, Blue Sky, Marvel, 20th Century Fox, and more
- prop up not one but two separate streaming services for their content (again, possibly breaking antitrust laws regarding production and delivery of entertainment content) (and yes, Hulu is owned by Disney)
- a campaign of weaponized nostalgia that has infected the entire industry
- bullying theaters into giving Disney products higher priority/more screenings

Disney has a massive control over the entire film industry at the moment. They are also into “too big to fail” territory. They have political allies to protect them from antitrust investigations and to write favorable policies on copyright law, they have their public-facing shield of progressive ideologies that they don’t really espouse, and they own a lot more than they really want you to understand. It would take something of an earth-shattering degree more than the global pandemic to throw Disney into such disarray that we get a real revolution of the industry. Chapek is getting the boot because he was unlucky enough to preside over the pandemic, that’s pretty much it. He wasn’t some “champion of the un-woke” just as much as Iger isn’t a “champion of the woke”.

Under Iger’s tenure, we’ve seen
- the death of the entire 2D animation industry as a whole, so much so that Mary Poppins Returns required 2D animators to come out of retirement to work on the animated sequences
- Disney breaking numerous antitrust laws (that are ignored thanks to lobbying and donations) through purchasing Lucasfilm, Pixar, Blue Sky, Marvel, 20th Century Fox, and more
- prop up not one but two separate streaming services for their content (again, possibly breaking antitrust laws regarding production and delivery of entertainment content) (and yes, Hulu is owned by Disney)
- a campaign of weaponized nostalgia that has infected the entire industry
- bullying theaters into giving Disney products higher priority/more screenings
This. Something has to be done. But I have no idea what. I think I can safely say that Disney is the single biggest media entity in the world. The fact they've gotten away with own that many studios is the crime of the century. And as I understand it, they are subject to their own rules, and they frequently don't pay their property taxes. At this point Disney is it's own country.

That's why it sickens me to think of George selling Lucasfilm. He was one of the pioneers, bucking the old studio system. A system that while produced some pretty darn good films, treated their actors like slaves. Disney is no different. They are truly "white slavers."

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back