Cecil Harvey: Dark Knight, from FF4

NealBomBad

258517_152639491471234_131520506916466_328300_3955970_o.jpg

257985_153442064724310_131520506916466_332872_619318_o.jpg

5792924442_6f74188584_o.jpg

5785472001_0c2afabcc1_o.jpg

IMG3181-Edit-X3.jpg

More photos on my DA page user name NealBomBad

When I first played FF4 (2 originally on nintendo) I enjoyed the game immensely and thought the Dark Knight version of Cecil was totally bad ass. So when I saw the cinematics of the remake on the Nintendo DS I knew that had to be my first project using my 3D printer.

I first began with a human form that closely resembled me from a free software program called MakeHumman.

Using the best reference images I could find I modeled each piece of armor in 3DS Max starting with low poly proxies and adding more level of details. I did NOT download files from a shareware site or any other source.

Next I printed the armor with my 3D printer. The material is ABS plastic. The software divides the imported model into layers .007 if an inch thick and prints the part one layer at a time. This costume was 64 prints and about 500 hours in print time.

The raw prints are somewhat rough and you can see the layers of plastic. I coated the parts with black abs glue found at any hardware store. This filled the gaps and made the parts stronger. The glue was sanded down to give each part a smooth finish. Then I primed, fixed spots, primed, sanded, painted and then finally clear coat.

The Eye on the sword, detailed accents and stripes were created in Photoshop and printed out on water decal paper and then applied.

The outer tan strapping was two pieces of ultrasuede fused together (to add thickness and get the nap even on both sides), cut into strips and the braided together. The buckles they are attached to were also modeled and printed.

The body suit was crafted by my mother and she also helped me with the interior strapping that holds the armor together :)

I should have added info on the eyes! They are silver sun glass lenses with white see-through fabric over them. So even though my peripheral vision is terrible I can see straight pretty well.

thats truly stunning! Any in-progress pics? I'm wanting to learn more about 3d printing and it's capabilities and this certainly seems to push the envelope. Great stuff!

Oh man, i was a huge FF2 fan growing up.. And Cecil always was my favorite character so this is incredibly cool for me to see. Very nice work bud. PM comin your way!

Wow, I thought this was a scale model as well. This makes me want to completely redo my Rosa costume now. Awesome job!

Wow, i must say that i first thought that the pictureS was on a detailed action figure until i could grasp that it was 1:1 size... WOW

Blown away, like everyone else I thought this was a scale model. Once I realized it was an actual costume my jaw hit the floor. Incredible work! I wouldn't be too upset if you posted more pics of the progress / suit. I think it's great what you did with the eyes. Do you have much ventalation in the mask? Looks like it might get a little stuffy in there.

Haha with all that depth of field it totally does look like an action figure! I'm terrible at documenting my work but I have a few pics I can upload.

Is your Rosa posted anywhere? I would like to see it.

Ventilation is great, there is plenty of gaps in the armor for air to flow over the Lycra bodysuit and the mask sits far enough from my face to breath easily.

CH_Armor_Front_A_v01.jpg

CH_Armor_Back_A_v01.jpg

Front and back pieces of the armor in various states of production, anywhere from just printed to glued/sanded to primed. I had a close up of the helmet right out of the printer but I can't find those pics >.<

CH_Sword_B_v01.jpg

CH_Sword_A_v01.jpg

Sword progress. Printed and glued.

CH_Stage_03.jpg

Wire frame and shaded helmet model.

My Rosa can be found here. I didn't do too bad of a job given all I had to work with was two Amano sketches, but I've never been happy with it. Between working on both Rosa and Rydia at the same time, others not doing their share of the work, and improper fit in some areas among other things, it didn't live up to my standards. I'm currently playing through the DS remake, so maybe I'll revisit it eventually.

Gorgeous! The fit and finish is incredible. I'm still in shock over how great this is. Could you shed some more light on how you did the lenses? I'd really like to adapt that technique in a future endevour.

Gorgeous! The fit and finish is incredible. I'm still in shock over how great this is. Could you shed some more light on how you did the lenses? I'd really like to adapt that technique in a future endevour.

Thanks!

For the eyes I bought a pair of sunglasses at Walmart for something like 4 dollars. I popped out the lenses and cut out a square piece of white veil fabric to glue to it. I laid the lens down on a table and pulled the fabric tight over the lens and taped it down. I ran some glue around the outer edge of the lens and let that dry. Cut away the excess fabric and glued it to the helmet.

Any other questions just ask!

Its absolutely stunning - to the point where the photos make my head hurt as I'm so sure it's a scale model!

Can you snap some more pics, perhaps without the blur or depth of field effects? Whilst they're amazing pictures you have, my brain is rebelling while I'm trying to admire the suit!

Its absolutely stunning - to the point where the photos make my head hurt as I'm so sure it's a scale model!

Can you snap some more pics, perhaps without the blur or depth of field effects? Whilst they're amazing pictures you have, my brain is rebelling while I'm trying to admire the suit!

LOL okay to prove this is not a scale model here is a pic of me with two of my friends as Rosa and Rydia from the same series.

258053_10150204981747362_657147361_6957884_5975645_o.jpg

That is just awesome and would be even if it was a scale model let alone a whole suit. Nothing compares with the original FF games.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back