Cardboard Helmet

crypto

Hello all,

I once read a build thread on making a Boba Fett Helmet out of cardboard.

Even though the pictures were there in front of me showing it could be done, I still couldn't believe you could use cardboard.

I had to give it a go just to convince myself it was possible.

Started of by printing off some templates and tracing them to the cardboard. I used 2mm cardboard at the time it was called posterboard, since then I've seen it called various other names like Picture backing board, poster backing etc.

IMG_0999.jpg

All the pieces cut out and ready for assembly.

IMG_1000.jpg

This is where the "magic" happens. By misting the card lightly a few times with water you are able to bend the card without getting creases in it.

IMG_1038.jpg

Major parts glued together.

IMG_1106.jpg

Taking shape....looking like a helmet.

IMG_1108.jpg

The "ears" are made up of slices that are glued together and then craved and sanded to shape. A little bit of filler is used to finish them off.

IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

IMG_1116.jpg

IMG_1120.jpg

Range Finder, Stalk and Ear.

IMG_2080.jpg

IMG_2081.jpg

IMG_2082.jpg

Thanks for looking. :cool

Ok...a little filler for the cheeks and dome.

IMG_2079.jpg

IMG_2089.jpg

IMG_2090.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

Dent added.

IMG_2093.jpg

Range Finder parts primed and undercoated.

IMG_2086.jpg

Bucket all primed and undercoated. Range Finder, ear and stalk attached.

IMG_2097.jpg

IMG_2094.jpg

IMG_2095.jpg

IMG_2096.jpg

IMG_2100.jpg

IMG_2098.jpg

IMG_2099.jpg

So there you go, Boba helmet made out of cardboard. Didn't think it would come out as nice as it did.

I'll post up some pics of the finished paint job.....when I find time to do it that is. :rolleyes

Cheers,
Martin.

If you hadn't posted progress pics I wouldn't have believed that this was achieved with cardboard. That is amazing! Can't wait to see the finished product.

i've built 4 custom mando helms over the years after being inspired by Honus's build,this is also a very cool build,i may have to do a Boba helm soon.At least with custom Mando's no one can tell if i make a mistake...lol

Thanks all. :)

Egon- the filler I used was just a plaster board filler. As I have no intentions on wearing it I didn't think a 2-pack filler was required.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back