Cardboard Bio Helmet build

Sl0100

hey all,
Last week the weather was kinda crummy here in Tn so i decided to build something.I was motivated to make a bio-helmet after seeing the still pic of the Pred from the new Predators trailer.I believe he has been dubbed "Plow" but who knows.
in May ill be attending Wonderfest in KY and the effects guy and the director of Predators will be there,so this would be a great display helmet and i plan to get them to sign it right across the top!

Ive seen alot of "how do i" threads on here,so i took pics of each stage to show what can be done and how to do it.
so here we go,
first i used card-stock,not cardboard to build the helmet.i used my P1 helmet for sizing and using the photo of the Plow pred i built the helmet itself.i started with the face,built that,then built the top.again,using the P1 for size.i used masking tape to hold it together and built it in about 2 hours while catching up on some Tv.
heres the helmet next to the P1,since the Plow helmet is a dark pic i took some creative liberties and had fun with it.
FILE0010.jpg

FILE0005.jpg

in the pic,the cheeks of the Plow Bio appear to have "flare" to it.so there are side flares that make it look wider.since i only have 1 dark pic i had to roll with it.

once built i layered masking tape on the inside.this will help hold the helmet together and make it thicker once fiberglass is applied.i put 1 coat of fiberglass on the inside,then 2 on the outside.
FILE0013.jpg

once the fiberglass was dry i layed down a coat of primer
FILE0015-1.jpg

after letting the primer dry,i coated the entire helmet with glazing putty.
let that dry overnight,it will fill in alot of the cracks and lumps in the fiberglass.
FILE0018.jpg

sand the red glazing putty down smooth with sandpaper and next i coated the helmet in 2 part epoxy.
the epoxy soaks into the putty and primer and hardens to a shell.at this point the helmet is hard as if it was made of resin.
FILE0023.jpg

once the epoxy was dry i threw on some sandable primer.the lumps in the fiberglass are still there and since i want this to look "organic" like most bios im gonna leave it that way.
FILE0025.jpg

im going to leave this to dry tonight,tomorrow i will sand the helmet and using a belt sander smoothen all the edges where the fiberglass ran.
once that is done ill likely give it one more layer of masking tape on the inside,and 1 more layer of fiberglass to make this thing rock hard.then cut out the eyes and paint it.not sure of what shade of silver yet.ill figure that out this weekend.
anyway,thats it for the moment.more to come!

alrighty! heres the finishing photos of the bio helmet project

i did some sanding around the edges and cut out the eyes.
i then added some small resin greeblies to make the tri-laser and more for fun.i also added some hose to the other side.
FILE0027.jpg

FILE0028.jpg

after that i painted the helmet wityh silver "hammered" paint
FILE0032.jpg

and as that dried,i mist on grayish brown hammered paint.i mist on more silver on top of that and the 2 colors mixed well to produce a mettalic like colored finish

FILE0035.jpg

once that was dry i took a small peice of plastic mesh and mist silver onto it to make it look metalic also

hot glued that in and im done
heres the finished product,its hard to build a helmet with only 1 reference photo.but it was a fun little project anyway.
at Wonderfest in KY ill get the signatures on it and display it on the wall.

FILE0036.jpg

FILE0037.jpg

lastly,incase you missed the photo in the movie thread,this is what i was working towards
Untitled-1-1-1.jpg

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back