"Captain America, how exciting!" TWS TFA Rescue USO and Ultimates WW2

Re: "Captain America, how exciting!"

Your customer's costume is excellent. I'd like to have the cycle, they can keep the shield.
That a little unfair having Captain America and Wolverine in the same family.

I see that you knew to paint the back of your shield GOLD and not silver. Good thing I was lazy, had started to polish the steel to a mirror finish and stopped.

For those that are still building the heater shield here is the outline of the shield from the auction catalog.

Last edited:

The USO helmets are textured.

The texture in WW2 was finely ground cork mixed in the paint.
I falsely assumed the USO helmets were like the old OCS helmet liners and had a smooth finish on the steel outside for the girls helmets.

Last edited:

Glad to see that I have the correct suspenders. Good photo of the right shoulder detail.
For those that want to be 100% accurate cut up that General Purpose strap and attach it with a rectangle stitching pattern.
I can hear wives across the US, "you bought what, why, and NOW your cutting it up".

Here some reference photos. Hot Toys, Auction Catalog, and Fat Head, respectively.

I also re-watched the rescue scene. I-tunes download on my computer not Ipod, so nice to have technology that works again.
So it is not high def and at some point we are going to hear "Wilbur!!! Stop beating me".
But for the life of me, can't see the additional General Purpose strap on the left shoulder. I can see that it isn't high up like the right shoulder but for those that are still building....where is it.

Also you can see the M3 fighting knife is on the Hot Toy and the Fat Head but not the Auction Catalog.
No one has doubted the type yet but it is the M3 knife and not the M4 bayonet.

Last edited:

Here are some screen captures showing the progression of the uniform through the 16 minutes it was on the movie.

Again sorry they are not HD.
Hope, you can see from the hop into the back of the truck to the fireball jump the knife is on the left ankle.
Makes sense, shoot right handed and cut with your left.

When Cap is leading the troops into the camp and just before he salutes the Colonel, the knife is on the right.????

Also in these two final shots the suspenders have gone from double with cross belt to single with a cross belt.
So depending on double or single suspenders it will determine where you wear your knife left or right.
Another minor point, but if you are single suspender you shouldn't have a M1911. The Cap lost it after he punched the Red Skull.

Last edited:

"The customer" looks awfully familiar. :) He also looks unbelievable, particularly next to the screen-used outfit. Nicely done.

Great Job. I just read through your entire thread after it downloaded, due to slow internet connection, with pictures it took almost an hour.

Re: "Captain America, how exciting!" Now Ultimate

Bad connection speeds suck. I was in a similar boat just last week.

The dye was delivered yesterday but no thread. Its estimated arrival is next Friday.

Seems that a 4oz may be enough for a small of medium jacket but nothing larger.
Thanks, Croschbach.
http://www.therpf.com/f9/first-build-captain-america-pow-rescue-props-150470/

I have a second bottle on order and thought today was going to be a wasted day.

I sacrificed the little belt tabs to see if the sewing machine could handle the leather with the other machine thread I had. NO.
Plus, the epaulet and the sleeve could barely fit under the foot.

So the simple tacking had to be done by hand.

The choker was simple, just stitched along the preexisting line on the collar. I ended up using the belt end. It is without button hole and will have to live with that for now.

The cuffs were a different story. Had to push the needle though with a block of wood and then pull it out with the leatherman. They will be gathered and stitched after the jacket is dyed.

Took apart the little pocket on the front. Removed the front lip and the flap, cut the pocket lining out and then stitched the back rectangle to the front opening.

Sucks the flap is too small to use for the patch pocket in the right. May have to outsource that to an upholstery shop in the future.

So I don't need the machine tread, hope the doubled up hand thread holds, but have to wait for the dye. Should be here Tuesday.

Funny thing is, Wife likes the jacket.....so I better do a good dye job.

Last edited:

Bad connection speeds suck. I was in a similar boat just last week.

The dye was delivered yesterday but no thread. Its estimated arrival is next Friday.

Seems that a 4oz may be enough for a small of medium jacket but nothing larger.
Thanks, Croschbach.
http://www.therpf.com/f9/first-build-captain-america-pow-rescue-props-150470/

I have a second bottle on order and thought today was going to be a wasted day.

I sacrificed the little belt tabs to see if the sewing machine could handle the leather with the other machine thread I had. NO.
Plus, the epaulet and the sleeve could barely fit under the foot.

So the simple tacking had to be done by hand.

The choker was simple, just stitched along the preexisting line on the collar. I ended up using the belt end. It is without button hole and will have to live with that for now.

The cuffs were a different story. Had to push the needle though with a block of wood and then pull it out with the leatherman. The will be gathered and stitched after the jacket is dyed.

Took apart the little pocket on the front. Removed the front lip and the flap, cut the pocket lining out and then stitched the back rectangle to the front opening.

Sucks the flap is too small to use for the patch pocket in the right. May have to outsource that to an upholstery shop in the future.

So I don't need the machine tread, hope the doubled up hand thread holds, but have to wait for the dye. Should be here Tuesday.

Funny thing is, Wife likes the jacket.....so I better do a good dye job.

This is looking great man!

have you considered picking up one of these?

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/1216-00.aspx

painfully useful little buggers they are, mite save some wear and tear on your hands too

Thanks.
Wasn't going to advertise the giant red spot on the hand.
Going for C.A. not the Red Appendage.
I will certainly need and get one of those when I try Sandman's TFA belt.

Thanks.
Wasn't going to advertise the giant red spot on the hand.
Going for C.A. not the Red Appendage.
I will certainly need and get one of those when I try Sandman's TFA belt.

Just so that you know, part of my brain is now coming up with "The Red Appendage" as designed by Jack Kirby whether I want it to or not. *chuckle*

That's your brain not mine. :)

Not much happened on the jacket this weekend. I made a pattern of sorts to figure out the size of the patch pocket and flap.

Here is the shopping list of stuff for the shield.... at least up to this point.
2 Flexible Flyer Steel Saucer
2 Mens Genuine Leather Brown 1.2 Inch Two Piece Clasp Harness Luxury Dress Belt Size 44
Aluminum 6061-T6 Rectangular Bar, ASTM B221, 3/16" Thick, 1-1/2" Width, 60" Length
25 1" Heavy Welded Rectangle Ring Dee Rings
Tandy Leather 1/4" Nickel Chicago Screws 10 pack 1290-02
The S.S castle nut,S.S nut,S.S metal screw and nylon nut are from the local hardware.

I was able to rough out two more buckles. They are cut from the aluminum bar with a cutting disk in an electric drill. The holes for the straps are straps are drilled with a 1/8 bit. The holes and outer ended are then cleaned up with a larger hand file.
Work surface is the back step and a 2 1/2 inch C-clamp.

Last edited:

Working on the 1,000 meter target today.
Started the test build of the pepakura TFA Hero Helmet.
Its just typing paper and doesn't hold the shape well.... just doing this to figure the size and look before building it in 219gsm.
[url=https://postimg.org/image/6c7x3pnuh/][/URL]

Last edited:

What you've got is awesome. If you're interested in doing any other Cap costumes you're not too far off from this one:
cap-1.jpg

Just figured I'd throw that one out there because it's my favorite Cap costume

Edit: just noticed someone earlier in the thread had already done it.. post more pics!

DUDE! AMAZING! I am loving how many working pics you have of what you are doing. Great to see the process.

Glad you like it. I hope that I provide something useful for others to follow up with.

PosterRecruiting.jpg

Work the other half of the pep Helmet.
TFAHelmettest2.jpg

For a quick test, seems to be going well. It will be unusable since it is held together with scotch tape.

I received the second bottle of dye and have started to redye the jacket.

RescueJacketRedye1.jpg

That is looking great! If you don't mind, what's the process for dyeing the jacket? I was just looking at the dye today and really want to do this as well. Love all that you've done.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back