Cape advice!!

Batwillz

Hi everyone!
I have this Batfleck cosplay, pretty good stuff. I made my own cape for it and it hasn't been as efficient as hoped. I was hoping for some advice so when it hangs it doesn't choke me and an easier way to fasten it because the snaps I have tear the pleather. Thanks!

Last edited:
What is your cape made of? And where do you have it connecting to the costume? (i.e. under the cowl, at the shoulders, etc.)

What is your cape made of? And where do you have it connecting to the costume? (i.e. under the cowl, at the shoulders, etc.)

It's made out of pleather I got from Joanns. It's connected under the front of the cowl but just snaps together, it's not connected to the costume. Then I fold it over the shoulders of the cowl. Since it connects in the front of my cape and falls behind my shoulders it chokes me making it very uncomfortable.

It's made out of pleather I got from Joanns. It's connected under the front of the cowl but just snaps together, it's not connected to the costume. Then I fold it over the shoulders of the cowl. Since it connects in the front of my cape and falls behind my shoulders it chokes me making it very uncomfortable.
Any pics?

Sent From The Batcave

IMG_1217[1].JPG Whole Suit.
IMG_1218[1].JPG This is where the cape fastens.
IMG_1219[1].JPGThis is of the snap and how it stretches and tears the cape.
IMG_1220[1].JPGThis is of the whole back side of the cape.

- - - Updated - - -

Any pics?

Sent From The Batcave
these are the pics

I would snap it directly to the suit itself, via two snaps (one on each side) underneath the base of the cowl. Then do two more on either side of your neck, where your neck meets the shoulders, and one or two at the base of the back of your neck. That should distribute the weight of the cape evenly over your entire neck/shoulder area, rather than putting too much stress on any one part of the costume, while still allowing it to hang correctly.

I would snap it directly to the suit itself, via two snaps (one on each side) underneath the base of the cowl. Then do two more on either side of your neck, where your neck meets the shoulders, and one or two at the base of the back of your neck. That should distribute the weight of the cape evenly over your entire neck/shoulder area, rather than putting too much stress on any one part of the costume, while still allowing it to hang correctly.
I see. This sounds as it would help but I'm still a bit anxious since the snaps overly stretch the the holes I make for them. Do you think since there'd be multiple evenly along the shoulder area it'll stop this?

- - - Updated - - -

On pleather wings make a beautiful DOJ Cape but yours is pretty good for home made cape

Sent From The Batcave
I haven't seen their full cape but it looks good! I just found it a bit cheaper to make it myself and I wanted to be able to say that I did. It's really simple and I feel like more people who do batman stuff should make their own as well.

Sorry, I should have specified: you will need to apply a small swatch of fabric (cutting up an old t-shirt works perfectly) to the underside of the suit, and have the snap go through both layers. This should keep the snap from stretching or tearing the spandex.

Sorry, I should have specified: you will need to apply a small swatch of fabric (cutting up an old t-shirt works perfectly) to the underside of the suit, and have the snap go through both layers. This should keep the snap from stretching or tearing the spandex.
I will definitely try this! Thank you!

Attach some velcro to the cape and to the neck of your bodysuit where the cape will sit. It will hopefully stay there and not rip. The Velcro technique is what they used for the film I believe, and they do the same for the cowl, so everything retains it's positioning.

Attach some velcro to the cape and to the neck of your bodysuit where the cape will sit. It will hopefully stay there and not rip. The Velcro technique is what they used for the film I believe, and they do the same for the cowl, so everything retains it's positioning.

I'm going to try to put magnets in places along cape and where it'll sit on the suit. That way I don't need anyone else to press down the cape. If that doesn't work I'll most definitely try the Velcro!

I decided to remake he cape. This time I changed the shape a little bit and mimicked the way they made the screen used cape. I used a lighter pleather so it won't choke or rip.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back