Can you id a source for this bottle?

juno

Sr Member
I can find a close bottle, but no lid (heck, I don't even know what this style of lid is called.)
tif

113538783_45ab40b9cb_o.jpg

I used to have these back in the 70's I beleive they were spice bottles, because they had a the plastic insert that was connected to the top of the cap. My brother and I used to put vinigar and baking soda inthese and watch the caps blow off.

Originally posted by Darth Detroit@Mar 16 2006, 10:36 PM
I used to have these back in the 70's I beleive they were spice bottles, because they had a  the plastic insert that was connected to the top of the cap. My brother and I used to put vinigar and baking soda inthese and watch the caps blow off.
[snapback]1207446[/snapback]​

Look for Lab supplies on Google --they have something similar.

Originally posted by appliedmetal+Mar 17 2006, 02:44 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(appliedmetal @ Mar 17 2006, 02:44 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Darth Detroit
@Mar 16 2006, 10:36 PM
I used to have these back in the 70's I beleive they were spice bottles, because they had a  the plastic insert that was connected to the top of the cap. My brother and I used to put vinigar and baking soda inthese and watch the caps blow off.
[snapback]1207446[/snapback]​

Look for Lab supplies on Google --they have something similar.
[snapback]1207453[/snapback]​
[/b]

Exactly that. Its a bottle with an airtight cap on it.

I've searched and search (mostly lab supplies actually) the only square bottles I find are called French bottles and they seem to only come with screw caps.

You know come to thing of it... they kind of remind me of the old salad dressing bottles. The ones were you make your own with and mix up the oil, vinegar... it has the same type of plastic sealing top.

Originally posted by juno@Mar 17 2006, 02:30 AM
I can find a close bottle, but no lid (heck, I don't even know what this style of lid is called.)
tif

113538783_45ab40b9cb_o.jpg

[snapback]1207442[/snapback]​

From what movie is this prop from?

My guess is that these would have probably had ground glass stoppers, rather than the more modern plastic seal type stoppers. These were produced in a variety of sizes and shapes for chemical reagents as well as medicines. I have some round ones (currently holding spices) and some liter-sized bottles, but no square ones.

airhead

Uhmm... Apothecary jars and bottles were made in round and square styles and all vintage ones had ground glass stoppers. Check out the link I posted above.

:rolleyes

I'm pretty sure that these are new bottles, not antiques, I also scoured eBay, but found nothing that was spot on.

Perhaps I'm just seeign things, but am I the only one who thinks it looks like a glass apothecary jar with a plastic stopper (not a lid) in place of a glass stopper?

I think it's a plastic stopper too -- just no idea where to find the stopper. I found the bottle (but it comes with a cork).

I had looked for some to use for display in the kitchen as well as pickling. I do remember seeing different style glass stoppers, some were flat as in the picture Juno posted so I know there are some out there. It is always possible that they replaced the stopper but I don't see the purpose for doing so. It might just take some time to find the correct stopper... Patience grasshopper. ;)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back