Can you id a source for this bottle?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by juno, Mar 16, 2006.

1. juno

juno Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I can find a close bottle, but no lid (heck, I don't even know what this style of lid is called.)
    tif

[​IMG]

2. Darth Detroit

Darth Detroit Sr Member

I used to have these back in the 70's I beleive they were spice bottles, because they had a the plastic insert that was connected to the top of the cap. My brother and I used to put vinigar and baking soda inthese and watch the caps blow off.

3. Eaglewood

Eaglewood Sr Member

Look for Lab supplies on Google --they have something similar.

4. Darth Detroit

Darth Detroit Sr Member

Exactly that. Its a bottle with an airtight cap on it.

5. juno

I've searched and search (mostly lab supplies actually) the only square bottles I find are called French bottles and they seem to only come with screw caps.

6. Darth Detroit

Darth Detroit Sr Member

Nope, the ones I had growing up were square, and some were round. I would try looking in antique stores too.

7. Darth Detroit

Darth Detroit Sr Member

You know come to thing of it... they kind of remind me of the old salad dressing bottles. The ones were you make your own with and mix up the oil, vinegar... it has the same type of plastic sealing top.

8. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

9. SurferGeek

By the way, the really large ones make great pickle jars for making your own. :p

10. turok96

turok96 Well-Known Member

From what movie is this prop from?

11. juno

Harry Potter

12. airhead

airhead Well-Known Member

My guess is that these would have probably had ground glass stoppers, rather than the more modern plastic seal type stoppers. These were produced in a variety of sizes and shapes for chemical reagents as well as medicines. I have some round ones (currently holding spices) and some liter-sized bottles, but no square ones.

airhead

13. SurferGeek

Uhmm... Apothecary jars and bottles were made in round and square styles and all vintage ones had ground glass stoppers. Check out the link I posted above.

:rolleyes

14. juno

I'm pretty sure that these are new bottles, not antiques, I also scoured eBay, but found nothing that was spot on.

15. IronFist

IronFist Well-Known Member

Perhaps I'm just seeign things, but am I the only one who thinks it looks like a glass apothecary jar with a plastic stopper (not a lid) in place of a glass stopper?

16. juno

I think it's a plastic stopper too -- just no idea where to find the stopper. I found the bottle (but it comes with a cork).

17. SurferGeek

I had looked for some to use for display in the kitchen as well as pickling. I do remember seeing different style glass stoppers, some were flat as in the picture Juno posted so I know there are some out there. It is always possible that they replaced the stopper but I don't see the purpose for doing so. It might just take some time to find the correct stopper... Patience grasshopper. ;)

18. SWFreak

SWFreak Well-Known Member

I have one of those in my garage. It's about 2 - 3 inches tall. It has a glass threaded stopper.

19. Rabittooth

Rabittooth Well-Known Member

20. division 6

division 6 Master Member

If all else fails you can make the stoppers out of resin or have someone machine some on a lathe.

D6

21. quarksbarb

quarksbarb New Member

22. juno

Thanks, the problem is I want square bottles.

23. propologist

propologist Sr Member

yeah going through similar issues with a Wile E coyote prop that uses the same type bottles. been looking through Apothecary bottles and now clear plastic ones...

24. juno

I have found square ones that are close but don't have the cap. Got a pick of your Wile E.? I may have something close here.